Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

List Military Bases I wanna Go next.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
List Military Bases I wanna Go next.

I am slotted to leave Ft. Lee in 2 years, and there is a possibility of getting a Base of Preference (Submit a list of 8 bases, with a high possibility of getting 1 of them.) and I wanted to post the 8 places I would like to consider and see if anyone has been stationed at these bases or lived in the areas.

This goes for Civilians too if you live in these areas, how are schools, the area and golf courses.

1. Peterson AFB, Colorado
2. Lackland AFB, Texas/Randolph AFB, Texas
3. Dyess AFB, Texas
4. Hurlburt Field, Florida
5. Nellis AFB, Nevada
6. Luke AFB, Arizona
7. Kirtland AFB, New Mexico
8. Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
--------------------------------
9. Vandenburg AFB, California
10. Travis AFB, California
11. Charleston AFB, South Carolina
12. Altus AFB, Oklahoma
Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't been to any of those bases but have you considered Davis Monthan AFB, in Tucson, AZ?

I am an Army guy stationed here and if you like Arizona, then this is the base for you....
Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
I am faster than 80% of all snakes.
Ben83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Intelligence Analyst for 10 years and then moved on.
Name: Ben
Ben83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFButters View Post
I am slotted to leave Ft. Lee in 2 years, and there is a possibility of getting a Base of Preference (Submit a list of 8 bases, with a high possibility of getting 1 of them.) and I wanted to post the 8 places I would like to consider and see if anyone has been stationed at these bases or lived in the areas.

This goes for Civilians too if you live in these areas, how are schools, the area and golf courses.

1. Peterson AFB, Colorado
2. Lackland AFB, Texas/Randolph AFB, Texas
3. Dyess AFB, Texas
4. Hurlburt Field, Florida
5. Nellis AFB, Nevada
6. Luke AFB, Arizona
7. Kirtland AFB, New Mexico
8. Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
--------------------------------
9. Vandenburg AFB, California
10. Travis AFB, California
11. Charleston AFB, South Carolina
12. Altus AFB, Oklahoma
I was stationed at Peterson for 1 and a half years before I got out of the AF. It was my last duty station.

It was a fantastic place to be. Especially if you like the outdoors. They have awesome mountain biking, hiking, camping, snow shoeing, etc there.

It is a total military town which can be good and bad. Because of how many military are there almost everybody has a military discount and the locals were always very friendly and supportive of the military presence there. But on the flip side you have a lot of young dumb airman/soldiers that act retarded and do cause some issues from time to time.

Schools totally depend on the district you live in, some are good and some are bad. Most of the people I knew that bought houses tried to do it on the north edge of the town near the AF Academy. It is a little more expensive to buy up that way but the neighborhoods are way nicer and the schools were better. If you do get stationed at Pete make sure you at least live north of Platte Avenue. The further south of Platte you go the more ghetto it gets because you get closer to Ft. Carson. No offense to the Army but every Army base I have ever been to seems to have a super ghetto/shady element on the outskirts of the base.

There are a good selection of golf courses in town. Pete AFB has one but it was pretty crappy. You would go there because it is cheap more than for anything else. The AF Academy's course is very nice. There is also a nice public course in town called Patty Jewett. And if you want to play a super nice course there is always the Broadmoor Resort. It is a five star place and very pricey.

One thing I didn't expect before we moved to Colorado was just how dry it is there. You are in an alpine desert. Not sure why I never connected Colorado and desert before but I didn't. The lack of moisture there wreaked havoc on my sinus system which was weird because I had never had any issues before.

Anyway, hope I might have answered some questions for you.

Ben

P.S. My buddy is stationed at Charleston AFB and loves it. Different culture and environment than Colorado but great in its own ways.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I know its out there too, but from what I have heard There are more things in the Glendale/Phoenix area.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Sticks For Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben83 View Post
I was stationed at Peterson for 1 and a half years before I got out of the AF. It was my last duty station. .....

Thanks!!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Sticks For Troops

I am a 2T2... So i would work at the Aerial Port or the LRS, I am an instructor now, so who knows what kind of opportunities that could lead to.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
FNG
texger is on a distinguished road

Army: Combat Photographer/Aeroscout Observer
Name: Chip
texger's Tacoma Gallery
I work at Sheppard and if you like quiet, small towns this is the place.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #9
mrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Single Anchor Single-Seat Master Race
mrw3685's Tacoma Gallery
Dearest Port Dog,

I've been everywhere you asked and rather than type 5000 words describing each, I can tell you that Charleston AFB has the best golfing around it, probably in the country. Plus, AMC is working hard there, so your job would be fulfilling. I'm a Midwesterner, so I like Altus/Little Rock/Lackland, Nellis is fun for gambling put cost of living is high. California can depart from CONUS via a fault line and I'd be happy. Kirtland stinks because Albuquerque stinks. Based off the 3 questions you asked, Charleston is your #1 choice. The base/golf/schools all top notch.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Sticks For Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw3685 View Post
Dearest Port Dog,

I've been everywhere you asked and rather than type 5000 words describing each, I can tell you that Charleston AFB has the best golfing around it, probably in the country. Plus, AMC is working hard there, so your job would be fulfilling. I'm a Midwesterner, so I like Altus/Little Rock/Lackland, Nellis is fun for gambling put cost of living is high. California can depart from CONUS via a fault line and I'd be happy. Kirtland stinks because Albuquerque stinks. Based off the 3 questions you asked, Charleston is your #1 choice. The base/golf/schools all top notch.
The one thing that would make me not want to go to CHS is that I would like to avoid the possibility of 12 hour shifts and working all hours of the night atleast until my kids are older. My son has special needs and if I had to work all night and sleep all day I would be able to help with him or see my kids much for that matter. Then again I dont want to sit around at work all day watching paint dry.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
How About

I know you didn't ask, but any slots available at Ft Huachuca in AZ??? When I was there there were a lot of AF guys around. It was probably the best post I was assigned to during my Army career. Should have bought about 10 acres around Sonita or Patagonia.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Duck Fyess!!!! lol i was stationed at Dyess and the base and area were terrible. nothing there, constantly windy (so golf is bad), constantly dry (so golf courses are bad), and if you do want to go somewhere you have to drive 2 1/2 hours to ft worth.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
https://www.thrmis.hq.af.mil/

If you have a chance @ work, check out this link. It gives manning levels which you can filter by base / AFSC. I've recently updated my "dream sheet" based on these numbers. You can also search by PAS code for more detail. There's no use putting a base on your list if the manning levels are filled and will be filled for the next 6 months. Hope it helps.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #15
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I can say that Kirtland is in a somewhat bad part of Albuquerque and the schools aren't great around there.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I still have some friends in the USAF and they loved Charleston ... but hated the humidity.

A long time ago ... I did a few months in Charleston (not USAF) and I loved Charleston and the Islands too. It gets hot & sticky in the summer though.

I was single back then and fell in love with a girl from Summerville ... ah those memories (on Isle of Palms) when I told her I was going off to war and may never see her again. ... she was very good to me before I left ...
Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
You Can't Fix Stupid !
Smokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Jeremy
Smokey11's Tacoma Gallery
Been stationed at Nellis and now have been at Luke for 4.5 years and Luke is far better of the two. As cool as it sounds to be stationed in Vegas it gets old fast, here in PHX you have everything you can think of and then some. Yes the summers suck ass but the other 7-8 months are amazing and you cant drive for 15 minutes in any direction without passing a golf course they are everywhere.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #18
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
Why not go to Eglin, and get into the Special Operations community? Your career can only go up from there....
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
Sticks For Troops

I'm Red Green Color Blind, and from the people I have talked to it would be really hard for me to get into any of those types of special duties, bc I cant go to jump school, SEAR, etc
Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFButters View Post
I'm Red Green Color Blind, and from the people I have talked to it would be really hard for me to get into any of those types of special duties, bc I cant go to jump school, SEAR, etc

wait... what ? You cant go to airborne school because u are colorblind or is jump school something else?