Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

RN - first experience

Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
TakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
TakDwn's Tacoma Gallery
RN - first experience

I'm considering/researching joining the military. I have my BS degree and have a few years experience as an RN. Already have CCRN, BLS, PALS and ACLS. And am an Instructor as well.
Thinking Air Force, but not totally closed to other branches. After several weeks of looking online I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any comments/suggestions. I see several on here are active in military and even a few officers.
I am considering going to NP, Master program. Should I do so before entering or will military pay? I'd really like to get my past student loans paid for if possible. Any bonuses being offered?
I know I'd have to do the 6 weeks of OCS like basic training for officers, is this correct? Then what from there?
Has anyone headed in this direction and wish they didn't??
I'd appreciate any advise. Thanks!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Theres plenty of programs for getting your courses done while you're in, and thats aside from the MGIB. DANTES, CLEP, etc. Theres also the SOCCOAST program. All for you.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
First, if your serious about joining the military. Thank you.

My question. Though would be why? Are you looking for a new experience? New thrill? Bored at doing your daily RN duties?

That's all. No offense but you've spent so much time getting to where you are now as an RN why stop?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not too familar with the medical programs the AF has, but I know a guy that was an Anestesiologists (sp) he started out as a Major, bonus pay, loans reimbursed. He did his commitment and got a job at a hospital right away. It's def a thing to consider. Im not sure what you want to do, but I would look into the flight nurse program. It's extremely rewarding and will give you a unique experience. Im sure there's someone here that knows more.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
First, if your serious about joining the military. Thank you.

My question. Though would be why? Are you looking for a new experience? New thrill? Bored at doing your daily RN duties?

That's all. No offense but you've spent so much time getting to where you are now as an RN why stop?
Mitch makes a good point. If you just want to stay in the health field in the military then they can make you an officer and a nurse and stick you in a hospital and you can keep going to school and become a doctor eventually. If you want to see combat then you need to enlist and become a corpman, but even then they may see your potential and send you to ocs anyway... either way they will most likely pay some of your student loans.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
If you haven't signed the line yet have a look at Air National Guard.
Best kept secret in the military. Especially for BSN's.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
RyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1Lt, C-130 Navigator
Name: Ryan
RyanLikesTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAV8R View Post
If you haven't signed the line yet have a look at Air National Guard.
Best kept secret in the military. Especially for BSN's.
+1. I absolutely agree.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting thread. Sub'd.
Going back to grad school for my NP was definitely the best career move for me. Get an OR job and find a surgical practice to hire ya and pay for school and your golden. Half time in clinic and half assisting in OR.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
NP or NA. Both great moves for any nurse. Not sure if the AF uses either.