LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

"No Easy Day" Book about Bin Laden's Death!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
"No Easy Day" Book about Bin Laden's Death!

The book comes out today, just wondering if anyone is planning on reading it or not? The last few current war books I read were OK, nothing great. I guess the DOD is threatening legal action on the former SEAL for OPSEC.

Thoughts?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I'll prob buy it, looks interesting.... I'm kinda on the fence with the whole operation though... Loan Survivor is also A great book if you haven't read it already.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
I'll prob buy it, looks interesting.... I'm kinda on the fence with the whole operation though... Loan Survivor is also A great book if you haven't read it already.
I read "Lone Survivor" as well. It's an incredible story, but as a book I thought it kinda sucked. Half the book is "Im awesome Im from Texas" and "I'm awesome I'm a SEAL"

Other than that, its a great story a lot more ppl should know. Pisses me off to think that good Americans died because they were more concerned about the ROE and what their own country would do to them.

"One Bullet Away" is a great book, very well written and not as "flag waving" It's been my favorite book for a while.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I thought it didnt come out till 9/11?
I plan on getting it.

"unbroken" was a great WWII book that Ive read recently.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Came out today it was in the Morning show this morning. Prolly going to go pick it up.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #6

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
I thought it didnt come out till 9/11?
I plan on getting it.

"unbroken" was a great WWII book that Ive read recently.

I've heard Unbroken is fantastic. That's the next book I will read. I'm on the fence on "No Easy Day" seems rushed and the guy probaly needed the cash.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
thairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura about
Army: Signal LT, 228 CSH (USAR)
Name: Anthony
thairannosaurus's Tacoma Gallery
i'm really interested, my marine buddy just picked it up so i'm gonna wait and see what his initial review is before i jump into it. if you want a new read, i finished "they fought for each other" by kelly kennedy. that was a really good book. the author was ex-military and actually embedded with this unit who ended up suffering a crazy amount of casualties during the 2007 surge in iraq. just telling their day to day story without getting all politic-ey and finger pointing.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I've heard Unbroken is fantastic. That's the next book I will read. I'm on the fence on "No Easy Day" seems rushed and the guy probaly needed the cash.
It starts kinda slow bcit gives a lot of back story of the main character. At first I was thinking why is talking so much about his childhood and youth? But as the story goes on you will understand why.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #10

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
The dude that wrote "SEAL Team 6 memoirs of an elite sniper" went to school with my wife. He graduated a yr before her. He was in Somolia and got his leg messed up, got out of the military adn struggled for a while and now he's a Chiropractor. Its a good read and aparantly he never once bragged about himself when word of team 6 got out.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
I finished the book this morning (I'm a nerd and had the time off). Well written and very descriptive. I served with Mark Owen when I was in the Navy, he is a stand up good dude. The book reminded me of some good times.
I am interested to see what all happens with the pentagon and such coming down on him. My .02 is that the White House and others in the government already outted the SMU's and most of the details of the raid, this is a ground-eye perspective. YMMV.

I do agree with you guys on Lone survivor, too much chest beating. I will have to check out one bullet away.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #12

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik873 View Post
I finished the book this morning (I'm a nerd and had the time off). Well written and very descriptive. I served with Mark Owen when I was in the Navy, he is a stand up good dude. The book reminded me of some good times.
I am interested to see what all happens with the pentagon and such coming down on him. My .02 is that the White House and others in the government already outted the SMU's and most of the details of the raid, this is a ground-eye perspective. YMMV.

I do agree with you guys on Lone survivor, too much chest beating. I will have to check out one bullet away.
That's cool you knew the guy. So far it has good reviews.

"One Bullet Away" is from one of the recon LT's perspective from the book "Generation Kill" FYI
Old 09-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #13
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
Pre-ordered me a copy off Amazon, should get here soon. We'll see how good it is.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #14
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Well, so much for SEALs keeping operations secret.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #15
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
I'm on the fence on this too, but I will give credit where credit is very much due. The SEALs are the elite of the elite, and they get crap done few else could. However, there seems to be far more of these books concerning SEAL ops out in the stores now than ever before. Why? I'm not sure that's a good thing. Why talk about it? Who benefits? Maybe I'm missing it.

Too many, I believe, flap their gums about the way our military works nowadays... most importantly, our special warfare community. IMO, that info is best left as internal discussions--at least until we are well past the conflict in which the op was performed. Basically, I feel some things are best left unsaid for a variety of reasons.

Concerning the SEALs, it seemed to start with Richard Marcinko back in the early 90s. That guy just couldn't shut up about everything he had done and in the process divulged--albeit subtly--tactics, techniques, and procedures. In fact, some have reported Marcinko's first books are more fiction than not. Hell, I don't know. It makes for exciting reading but really provides a form of aid and comfort to the enemy.

What makes me wonder about is what exactly Matt Bissonnette's ("Mark Owen" is just a pseudonym) agenda is and those like him. What is there to gain by revealing TTPs and operational details so soon after the op? I'm sure proud of what he and those who served with him did but not quite convinced this SEAL's ego has not gotten a little carried away. It seems many of his fellow SEALs feel the same way if you read some of the reports regarding the backlash he has received.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #16
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
The dude that wrote "SEAL Team 6 memoirs of an elite sniper" went to school with my wife. He graduated a yr before her. He was in Somolia and got his leg messed up, got out of the military adn struggled for a while and now he's a Chiropractor. Its a good read and aparantly he never once bragged about himself when word of team 6 got out.
I'm almost done reading that book. It is a good read. He has seen some cool stuff, but he remains humble in the book.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
i just started reading the book and i think some people are going over board on it. So far its a very well written book and does not talk about anything that would violate the non disclosure agreement. I cant wait to finish it.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
Love me some tacos!!!!
Fred1524 is a jewel in the roughFred1524 is a jewel in the roughFred1524 is a jewel in the roughFred1524 is a jewel in the rough

Marines: Cpl. 2nd BN. 4th Mar
Name: Fred
Fred1524's Tacoma Gallery
I just pre-ordered that book by Dakota Meyer & Bing West. "Into the Fire:A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War". This one Im excited about. Bing West other books(No True Glory & March to Baghdad) I have enjoyed a ton.

As far as "No Easy Day"...i want to read it but Im just not sure if I want to support a guy who gave an oath of silence and broke his word to his team mates.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #19
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1524 View Post
I just pre-ordered that book by Dakota Meyer & Bing West. "Into the Fire:A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War". This one Im excited about. Bing West other books(No True Glory & March to Baghdad) I have enjoyed a ton.

As far as "No Easy Day"...i want to read it but Im just not sure if I want to support a guy who gave an oath of silence and broke his word to his team mates.
In an interview on 60 minutes he said his entire team supported him and the novel. I am going to read it eventually. He also stated there is nothing in the book that would cause him to break any laws or give away info that shouldn't be there.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I dloaded it on my Kindle the day it came out. Started reading it but haven't had a chance to get back to it in a few days.