1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"No Easy Day" Book about Bin Laden's Death!

Discussion in 'Military' started by sammy87, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Sep 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    The book comes out today, just wondering if anyone is planning on reading it or not? The last few current war books I read were OK, nothing great. I guess the DOD is threatening legal action on the former SEAL for OPSEC.

Thoughts?

2. Sep 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    I'll prob buy it, looks interesting.... I'm kinda on the fence with the whole operation though... Loan Survivor is also A great book if you haven't read it already.

3. Sep 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I read "Lone Survivor" as well. It's an incredible story, but as a book I thought it kinda sucked. Half the book is "Im awesome Im from Texas" and "I'm awesome I'm a SEAL"

Other than that, its a great story a lot more ppl should know. Pisses me off to think that good Americans died because they were more concerned about the ROE and what their own country would do to them.

"One Bullet Away" is a great book, very well written and not as "flag waving" It's been my favorite book for a while.

4. Sep 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I thought it didnt come out till 9/11?
    I plan on getting it.

"unbroken" was a great WWII book that Ive read recently.

5. Sep 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    Kirk1589

Kirk1589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Sticks-RI
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 Off-Road
    Pasti-Dip Grille, K&N drop-in, Magnaflow 14", Custom tail light mod, Fog light mod, diff vent mod, Alpine Components, Sequoia JBL radio
    Came out today it was in the Morning show this morning. Prolly going to go pick it up.

6. Sep 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4

I've heard Unbroken is fantastic. That's the next book I will read. I'm on the fence on "No Easy Day" seems rushed and the guy probaly needed the cash.

7. Sep 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I'd feel like if I read it, someone will burst through my window and beat me to death

8. Sep 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    thairannosaurus

thairannosaurus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Pro
    AC drain mod, interior lights, tonneau cover, avid light bar, N2 remote start, power tailgate lock
    i'm really interested, my marine buddy just picked it up so i'm gonna wait and see what his initial review is before i jump into it. if you want a new read, i finished "they fought for each other" by kelly kennedy. that was a really good book. the author was ex-military and actually embedded with this unit who ended up suffering a crazy amount of casualties during the 2007 surge in iraq. just telling their day to day story without getting all politic-ey and finger pointing.

9. Sep 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    It starts kinda slow bcit gives a lot of back story of the main character. At first I was thinking why is talking so much about his childhood and youth? But as the story goes on you will understand why.

10. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    The dude that wrote "SEAL Team 6 memoirs of an elite sniper" went to school with my wife. He graduated a yr before her. He was in Somolia and got his leg messed up, got out of the military adn struggled for a while and now he's a Chiropractor. Its a good read and aparantly he never once bragged about himself when word of team 6 got out.

11. Sep 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    I finished the book this morning (I'm a nerd and had the time off). Well written and very descriptive. I served with Mark Owen when I was in the Navy, he is a stand up good dude. The book reminded me of some good times.
    I am interested to see what all happens with the pentagon and such coming down on him. My .02 is that the White House and others in the government already outted the SMU's and most of the details of the raid, this is a ground-eye perspective. YMMV.

I do agree with you guys on Lone survivor, too much chest beating. I will have to check out one bullet away.

12. Sep 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    That's cool you knew the guy. So far it has good reviews.

"One Bullet Away" is from one of the recon LT's perspective from the book "Generation Kill" FYI

13. Sep 5, 2012 at 2:40 AM
    Airborne09

Airborne09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    Pre-ordered me a copy off Amazon, should get here soon. We'll see how good it is.

14. Sep 5, 2012 at 2:55 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Well, so much for SEALs keeping operations secret. :eek:

15. Sep 5, 2012 at 3:16 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I'm on the fence on this too, but I will give credit where credit is very much due. The SEALs are the elite of the elite, and they get crap done few else could. However, there seems to be far more of these books concerning SEAL ops out in the stores now than ever before. Why? I'm not sure that's a good thing. Why talk about it? Who benefits? Maybe I'm missing it.

Too many, I believe, flap their gums about the way our military works nowadays... most importantly, our special warfare community. IMO, that info is best left as internal discussions--at least until we are well past the conflict in which the op was performed. Basically, I feel some things are best left unsaid for a variety of reasons.

Concerning the SEALs, it seemed to start with Richard Marcinko back in the early 90s. That guy just couldn't shut up about everything he had done and in the process divulged--albeit subtly--tactics, techniques, and procedures. In fact, some have reported Marcinko's first books are more fiction than not. Hell, I don't know. It makes for exciting reading but really provides a form of aid and comfort to the enemy.

What makes me wonder about is what exactly Matt Bissonnette's ("Mark Owen" is just a pseudonym) agenda is and those like him. What is there to gain by revealing TTPs and operational details so soon after the op? I'm sure proud of what he and those who served with him did but not quite convinced this SEAL's ego has not gotten a little carried away. It seems many of his fellow SEALs feel the same way if you read some of the reports regarding the backlash he has received.

16. Sep 5, 2012 at 4:21 AM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    I'm almost done reading that book. It is a good read. He has seen some cool stuff, but he remains humble in the book.

17. Sep 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    i just started reading the book and i think some people are going over board on it. So far its a very well written book and does not talk about anything that would violate the non disclosure agreement. I cant wait to finish it.

18. Sep 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    Fred1524

Fred1524 Love me some tacos!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver 4X4 Rugged Trail
    Blacked Out badges,blacked out tail lights, 7% Tint(all around) Wet okole seat covers, A/W TRD floor mats, 10K HID Headlights, 6K HID Foglights, DTRL MOD, LED cluster swap...
    I just pre-ordered that book by Dakota Meyer & Bing West. "Into the Fire:A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War". This one Im excited about. Bing West other books(No True Glory & March to Baghdad) I have enjoyed a ton.

As far as "No Easy Day"...i want to read it but Im just not sure if I want to support a guy who gave an oath of silence and broke his word to his team mates. :smack:

19. Sep 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    In an interview on 60 minutes he said his entire team supported him and the novel. I am going to read it eventually. He also stated there is nothing in the book that would cause him to break any laws or give away info that shouldn't be there.

20. Sep 17, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I dloaded it on my Kindle the day it came out. Started reading it but haven't had a chance to get back to it in a few days.

Products Discussed in

To Top