1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help from some Air Force guys

Discussion in 'Military' started by jadeasaurusrex, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Oct 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM
    02trdpretaco

02trdpretaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double cab Prerunner
    K&N drop in filter, Flowmaster cat back, Bilstein 5100 series (front set on middle setting for leveling purposes).
    Few tips for basic (since I was in rercruiting I'd always get feedback from my people I sent in to help out the next guy/girl):

1. Know your reporting statement: Sir/Ma'am, Trainee (your last name) reports as ordered. Just knowing that statement will help in the first couple of days.

2. Tell your family NOT to send food. They'll make you trash it or eat it all. Can't "store" food while you're in basic.

3. If you have a girlfriend tell her NOT to send any "questionable" pics.

4. Shave the morning you leave for basic. They'll make you shave when you first get there so you don't want to try shaving off a beard while the MTI's are yelling at everyone to hurry up.

5. The first few days won't be fun and you may wonder why you did it in the first place. There will be 35-40 guys with you that will be wondering the same thing so don't sweat it. Once you get in the routine you'll be good to go.

6. Remember the MTI's are there to teach/instruct you although it may seem like they're there to torture you..ha,ha... At the end of the day they go back to their family like anyone else. Keep that in mind.

2. Nov 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    jadeasaurusrex

jadeasaurusrex [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jade
    Thanks for all the help everyone. All of your information has been really helpful and I have narrowed down my list to about 10 jobs I could see myself enjoying. Some of these include ATC, Metals tech, Special Vehicle Maintenance, Electrical power production, and a few more. I will PM a few of you if you don't mind because I have few more question for Y'all. Thanks again.

3. Nov 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    mclovin

mclovin chicka chicka, yeah!

Member:
    Biloxi
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DC Barcelona Red
    Prev, 04 Xtra Cab Prerunner, 12 SR5 4x4 AC
    make sure that when you go in that you have an open mechanical slot. if you have anything else, you probably wont get any kind of maintenance and probably will end up with a admin job of some sort or SF....usually what happens when you have an "open" designator they pull you aside during one of the million appointments during basic and will make you rack and stack the jobs that are available. at that point its a lottery. good luck!

4. Nov 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    RedTacoDriver

RedTacoDriver Out of my mind....be back later.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7L
    BakFlipG2, Westin Nerf Bars, Harbor Freight Bed Jacks, Flame Devil Horns, vinyl raven emblems, intermittent wiper switch swapout More to come.
    I am an ex comms person and have been out so long that the AFSC no longer exists. But if you are looking for a rewarding job consider 2T0 TMO. You are going to hear the wrench turners groan at this but they don't get the parts without TMO. No spares are shipped without them. They are crucial to movement of troops, equipment, and armament. And basically they are understaffed. My son is currently serving in this capacity and spends more time on the flightline than half the air frame mechanics.

5. Nov 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    RyanLikesTacos

RyanLikesTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Charlotte, NC
    I was Security Forces my first 4 years in. I couldnt wait to cross train. You will be a first term airman with a strip or two and the recruiting videos the show you of riding around in a turret with a machine gun looks really cool but you will do that 10% of the time. The other 90 will be spent working at a gate checking IDs. Not to mention the rest of the Air Force isnt quite sure what to do with you as your desk is a gate shack and you dont work on airplanes and you shoot a rifle more than once a year...

If you can steer clear of SF, do it. After my first 4, I cross trained to be a C-130 Loadmaster and it was incredible. I did that for another 6 years before commissioning and now I'm in training to be a C-130 Navigator. As mentioned in other posts, take advantage of your benefits, go to college, and get a commission if you can. I've got 12 years in and although I seemed to get more respect as an E-6 than an O-1, it comes down to what you make and how happy you are with your job.

Sounds like you are on your way to maintenance hopefully. You will likely run into Pilots or Navs that show little respect for the maintainers but pay no attention to them. Those who turn wrenches ensure we have are able to safely fly everyday of the week.

Maintainers should be the proudest people in the Air Force. Without them, the AIR Force would never get off the ground. Best of luck!

6. Dec 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    senojeelnodnarb

senojeelnodnarb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oahu, HI /Canton, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD OR, 6-Spd Manual
    Fully De-Badged, Mossy Oak seat covers, Fog Light anytime mod, Custom Bed Light Bar, flowmaster 40 series, Plasti-Dipped Grille, Painted Stock TRD Rims, Custom Plate Bumper, High-Lift Bed Mount, Ballacula Trailer Plug Relocate, Rear Seat Dog Platform, sunglasses holder Switch panel, 2" lift, 285/75/R16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, custom sliders, + a shit load more,
    there are infinante options for metals tech, but with load master, althouught you get to see the world you dont have a very high demand in the civilian force.

7. Dec 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    Tmill

Tmill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Black DCLB
    Yea the demand may be a bit less but quite a few of my guys have worked their way into load planning jobs for different cargo carriers.

8. Jan 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    jadeasaurusrex

jadeasaurusrex [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jade
    Hey everybody, thanks for all the great advice. I just got out of Basic a few days ago and I am at Sheppard now. I got my first job pick during basic which was Aircraft Metals tech. I start school in just a few days. I am pretty stoked about it. Seems like a great job with a lot of good skills to have for the outside world. Thanks again for the help. I will PM a few of you for some advice.

9. Jan 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    dmb

dmb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise, ID
    Nice! I graduated tech school for Metal's Tech last month, at my base now. But you'll love it. Great instructors at the school-house. I'll send you a pm later.

10. Jan 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    Congratulations!

I'll be heading to the Metals Tech course in Apr.

Not looking forward to Sheppard again, hoping its been renovated.

Plus side is the school is brand spanking new.

11. Mar 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM
    senojeelnodnarb

senojeelnodnarb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oahu, HI /Canton, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD OR, 6-Spd Manual
    Fully De-Badged, Mossy Oak seat covers, Fog Light anytime mod, Custom Bed Light Bar, flowmaster 40 series, Plasti-Dipped Grille, Painted Stock TRD Rims, Custom Plate Bumper, High-Lift Bed Mount, Ballacula Trailer Plug Relocate, Rear Seat Dog Platform, sunglasses holder Switch panel, 2" lift, 285/75/R16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, custom sliders, + a shit load more,
    I never went to tech school before they moved the school house to Sheppard. but last time i checked from newer airmen they still have the machine shop in an old gym. Also they recently rewrote the Curriculum. like no more stick welding, silver soldering, or titanium TIG. now alot of it is OJT

Products Discussed in

To Top