1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help from some Air Force guys

Discussion in 'Military' started by jadeasaurusrex, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Sep 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    jadeasaurusrex

jadeasaurusrex [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jade
    Hey everyone. So here's the back story. I am in DEP and signed a contract for the mechanical aptitude area (let the "have fun in sec fo" comments begin). I leave for basic Nov 13. I know that the only jobs that will be on my list will be jobs that have tech schools opening up soon after I graduate and jobs I qualified for. Having said that I was not DQ'd from any jobs based on my line scores or physical limitations so I figure my job list should be decent (but then again, what do I know). So here is my question. Has anyone on here had a similar experience or know someone who has? What should I expect? What job did you get and how do you like it? What jobs should I gravitate towards and what jobs should I stay away from (in your opinion)? I have been looking into helicopter maintenance, electrical power production, Air Traffic Controller (I was surprised to know that fell under that aptitude area), special vehicle maintenance ect ect. I've been told to stay away from working on aircraft, specifically tactical aircraft maintenance, any opinions on that? Any information you have for me would be awesome. I am pretty worried that I am going to get screwed when I get there but from what I have read that doesn't TYPICALLY happen unless you have bad line scores or a lot of physical limitations. Thanks to anyone who can help. It is much appreciated.

2. Sep 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Speaking from experience, I'd stay clear of Security. I made that mistake long ago. My best friend went in as a Helicopter mechanic. He had a better time than I did. You will have to remember though, that you now belong to the Air Force, and they can put you anywhere they see fit.
    Good luck and Thanks in advance for serving!

3. Sep 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    jadeasaurusrex

jadeasaurusrex [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jade
    Yeah I came to that conclusion a few months ago when I was talking to a firefighter (my first job choice) at Travis AFB who told me that job was 128% impacted. Hopefully the list of jobs they give me when I get to basic are decent. Thanks for the help and thank you for your service as well.

4. Sep 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Aircraft mechanics make some good money on the outside. It might be wise to let the AF train you and once your enlistment is done you can work for some airline making twice as much.

Power Pro is a sweet job. It falls under Civil Engineering. I was CE and RH for over 8 years. Lots of cool projects. member 05toyotacoma is a Power Pro troop so he might be able to answer any specific questions.

ATC would be a sweet job too. I have a buddy who was AF ATC did her 6 years, got out and just started a job at a big ATC approach control for $90K. Not too shabby.

The AF is a sweet job. Do some research on the other jobs in the mechanical area (there is a wide variety as you have already seen) and see what interests you.

5. Sep 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    Scounts

Scounts Member

Member:
    Hazelwood, MO
    Vehicle:
    2012 double cab long bed
    I've been in the Air Force for 39 years. 8 active the rest full time Air National Guard. I've been in aircraft maintenance most of that time. Aircraft maintenance on tactitical aircraft is a great job. I would shoot for avionics, that's what I did. Stay away from support jobs. Sky cops sucks. Any office job sucks. But you will get what you get so make the best of it.

6. Sep 23, 2012 at 5:03 AM
    Honest John

Honest John New Member

Member:
    West Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma 4x4 Reg Cab
    Bug Deflector, Toyota Tool Box, OEM Step Bars, Tinted Windows
    Aircraft Maintenance for 22 years F-15s Ended up on drones.. Drones are the NO SHIT best job for active duty aircraft maintenance, you don't have to put up with asshole pilots that aren't even shaving yet.. In my opinion. Here's what to do.

Make THEM give you the job that YOU want

Don't take a job that you don't. WANT.

GO TO GOLLEGE AND BECOME AN OFFICER! You'll be glad you did.

BTW. ATC would be the best choice for a AF carreer and after retirement if you can hang. The retirement check is sweet. Hope this helps.

7. Sep 23, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    Blackcat10

Blackcat10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I went into the Army during Vietnam (yeh Old) and always loved flying. Eyes were to bad to be a pilot so I chose Maint. Out of AIT went to Nam and after 2 months therein Maint. they put me as a Crew Chief (Glorified Door Gunner) on a UH1 Huey. Other than getting shot at which really isnt shit, its the bullet that hits you that hurts, being a Crew Chief in my opinion is the best Job in the Army.I had a great time for 9 years and really wouldn't do much different
    I was Army and times have changed and I know you ask for Air Force advice. So thats my 2 cents worth.
    Also College and OCS a must. You will have so much available to you so take advantage of it. You will look back and be glade you did.
    This is a choice that will affect the rest of your life.
    Fells like I just had this talk with my son.

8. Sep 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    aircraft maintenance in general is not bad, if you don't mind getting dirty, working in the sun/rain/snow/etc, and have a sense of humor...

my biggest problem ended up to be the people caused more problems than the actual job.

whichever job you do end up with, try and get trained up on the admin side of it. I learned more career advancing stuff in the 3 months working in the FSS(MPF) than the 7 years on the line and in the back-shop.

+1 for college, Post 9/11 GI Bill is a good enough reason to put up with 4-6 years of BS for a free ride

9. Sep 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    The problem with going in for the GI bill, is that you will get comfy with a constant paycheck, you'll more than likely find some random girl and end up married, and to top it off, the retention douches will do a presentation when you're a year out and try to scare you into staying in longer (usually bullshit about leaving the military, and living homeless under a bridge.)

10. Sep 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    Tmill

Tmill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Black DCLB
    I've spent twelve years in the Air Force I have been a maintainer, PME instructor, and pilot. In that time I can say every job has taught me something great. I have loved every assignment and don't regret any of them. I would recommend staying away from SF, AGE maintainer, and personnel jobs. That is just me though. Sitting in an office isn't what I would call entertaining.

11. Oct 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM
    02trdpretaco

02trdpretaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double cab Prerunner
    K&N drop in filter, Flowmaster cat back, Bilstein 5100 series (front set on middle setting for leveling purposes).
    I'm an active duty aircraft maintainer and currently in recruiting at the HQ in my squadron (no longer in an office recruiting). The mechanical area is a good one. I think the mechanical and the electronic are the two best to get into due to the fact the training you'll receive and the fact that companies are always needing people that have those skills.

When you get to basic you'll sit down with a job counselor and they'll show you the jobs in the mechanical career area you qualify for and you pick a few.

In short, there's not a bad mechanical job. Congrats on joining!!! I've been in 19 years and haven't regretted a minute of it!!

12. Oct 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM
    02trdpretaco

02trdpretaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    K&N drop in filter, Flowmaster cat back, Bilstein 5100 series (front set on middle setting for leveling purposes).
    After looking at your post again don't worry about any security forces job. You are going mechanical.

Unless something has changed in the last 5 minutes 100% of all "cop" jobs are booked before basic training (we want people that want the job).

Unfortunately most people giving advice haven't been in the Air Force for a while or haven't been in recruiting and know how it really works.

Again, good luck and post anymore questions. I'd be glad to help!

13. Oct 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM
    Adam Baum

Adam Baum Well-Known Member

Member:
    PCS
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5 debadged
    Intel here if you want any info.

My 2cents:

My first choices were ammo, weapons, and EOD. Somehow I didn't get any of those, but I'm ok with it after being in for 6.5years.

If you don't get the job you want don't consider yourself being "screwed". As a First Term Airman (FTA) you'll have your opportunity to cross-train. Sign up for 4 years, and you'll get to the opportunity to cross-train at the 3yr mark. Sign up for 6yrs and you'll get to cross-train at the 5yr mark. When I came in I chose to enlist at 4yrs just in case I didn't like my job.

AND I didn't like my job lol. I've been lucky to PCS 3 times now, and the 3rd job has been the best so far. I will probably still cross-train after this assignment, but it has been a good run so far. Even though I've worked with some of the crappiest people, or assignments I look at it this way:

- I got to travel (not ever base is the greatest, but you will always find positives about it)
    - I have a job (not everyone can say that)
    - I am growing as a person. You'll understand when you go back home for the first time and talk to your old "friends".

Trust me...it is hard to see it that way when you are young (in age or experience).

Now...back to the jobs. These would be my choices, and reasons.

1) 8M0X1 - you are the mail man for the USAF. Not the most glorified job, but for those of you who have been in....have you seen where an A1C and SrA can go? Netherlands? Holland? civilian airports all around the world wearing civilian cloths? If I knew about this when I signed up I would have picked this job in a heartbeat. The rest of the USAF you can do as an E-5, but this job is a hard one to crack if you aren't in as an E-3 or E-4.

2) ATC - who the hell wouldn't want to do this?
    3) 4N0X1 - shoot for the "C" shred and be an IDMT. I've known quite a few in the "C" shred and that job just seems cool.
    4) 4R0X1 - you do x-rays and MRI's. Easy job (coming from an F-16 crew chief who cross-trained into it lol), learn LOTS, and can carry over to the civilian world fairly easily.
    5) 6C0X1 - you will be part of the contracting world and process contracts from beginning to end. It is a paper-pusher job, but the real plus are the certifications and educational classes you'll pick up. Not a job for everyone because it is a paper-pusher deal
    6) 9S100 - One of those jobs that is the jack of all trades but master of none. I want to cross-train into this one someday. Very small career field
    7) Intel - if you want to know more about the shreds I can fill you in with the unclassified version. To me they all rank about the same so I can't give you my preference. I look at dots all day long and it isn't as bad as most people in the career field make it out to be.

other jobs that I have considered in the past:
    Red Horse: someone here has to be in that line of work. I always wanted to be a locksmith or travel around the world building shit.
    1U0X1 - Sensor operators for the UAV. That is the way our technology is going, and you might as well jump on the band-wagon if you qualify.
    1A1X1 - not sure if you can get into this as a FTA, but once my ruptured Achilles heals I am shooting for this.
    several 1Axx1 jobs - you get to fly. nuff said.

Good luck man. Even if your job fucking sucks there are always positives. Just don't fall for the first juicy you meet.

14. Oct 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM
    dmb

dmb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise, ID
    I'm currently at Air Force tech school for Metal's Technology. Probably a hidden gem among the usual mechanical jobs most people associate with the Air Force. I joined the Air Force back in May and took an open mechanical contract. That was pretty much my only choice as I was at the age limit for active duty and my only way to get in. And I would not change a thing. I love it so far.

When I was at Basic I made my list of 12 or so jobs and I believe Metal's Technology was 3rd of 4th. I stayed away from tactical or "flight line" jobs. Your 3rd of 4th week...can't remember...you'll go and make your list of jobs that are available. Then you'll go back your 8th week to find out what your job is. At least for "open" jobs.

If you've ever done any welding or enjoy working on cars/trucks/motorcycles, Metal's Tech is where it's at. We can make anything. I have friends who are in other mechanical jobs if you're curious about that. PM me for more details. :thumbsup:

15. Oct 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    I did 4 and half years in Security Forces ( the half year was because of Stop Loss before someone starts talking shit). I had some of the best times of my life in the USAF and woudnt change a thing about it. Pick a job u want not what other people think is cool. SF was a great time for me.

16. Oct 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    Jefro111

Jefro111 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Tucson Az
    Vehicle:
    04 Double cab Pre Runner TRD
    Smiytbuilt grillguard, running boards, color matched hard tonneau, Kenwood Stereo
    I did 24 Years Aircraft Maintenance I don't regret any of it, Make sure you get on Heavy aircraft you get to travel the world with your aircraft.

17. Oct 25, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    Tmill

Tmill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Black DCLB
    Have fun with the metals tech. There is quite a bit of future in it. If you really want to see the world become a loadmaster and you definitely will.

18. Oct 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    JaxTaco

JaxTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Jacksonville FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Hope you get something you'll enjoy. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but my best advice would be to use the Air Force as they use you- take full advantage of their college programs while on active duty. Take full advantage of any GI Bill(or whatever they call it nowadays) while on duty. Wherever you get stationed, go to school. When your enlistment is up, give yourself a choice- re-up or use all the education you just got to become a civilian and make real money doing something you WANT to do.
    I did few things right during my enlistment in the AF. I wasted time on frivolous things like hitting nightclubs every weekend. I spent money on fast food instead of eating in the mess hall. I bought the latest fashionable clothes so that I could impress the ladies. Oh, I had a ton of fun, and have plenty of memories. But memories don't pay bills, feed you or set you up for the rest of your life.
    Some of the things I did do right were this: I signed up for automatic payroll deduction to buy US Savings Bonds. Every two weeks, I had a bond sent to my parents house- I never saw them, I never missed the money. But when my time was up, and I returned home to pursue my next step, I had a fat stack of bonds that were making me money. I also advise you to contribute to your GI Bill program- they'll take the money out every month, you'll never miss it, and they will match funds. I used mine to pay tuition to college after I got out.
    Everything you do from here on out should be to position yourself for the future. It might entail making tough choices, but trust me, when you're 40 years old and those tough choices are paying off for you big time, you'll be as happy you did it. Remember, you want to pursue a career, not so much a job. You want to pursue opportunities doing something you love. Spending 4 years in the service, then getting out in the same exact position you were in when you joined is missed opportunities, IMO.

Good luck to you & be safe.

19. Oct 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    Jefro111

Jefro111 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Tucson Az
    Vehicle:
    04 Double cab Pre Runner TRD
    Smiytbuilt grillguard, running boards, color matched hard tonneau, Kenwood Stereo
    Dont they give you a lobotomy and remove your personalaty in that tech school

20. Oct 26, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    02trdpretaco

02trdpretaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The GI Bill is automatic. Gone are the days of $100 per month for 12 months. It's totally free now. The biggest benefit to the GI Bill now is that you can transfer it to family members (spouse, kids). That's mainly a benefit for when you get out.

Use tuition assistance while you're in. I've taken a number of classes while I've been in and it always covers the tuition, especially if you take classes at the education center on base (there's usually 4-6 civilian schools on base you can take classes through). You can always pick up a cheap book off a co-worker or someone that just completed the class.

Also take advantage of any "special" classes that are offered. From time to time you can take ASE certification (for vehicle mechs) or A & P (airframe and powerplant) certification classes if you're an aircraft maintainer. Totally free....civilians have to pay a good bit for these classes.

Products Discussed in

To Top