Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Buying Truck while downrange

Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
The Professional
c0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3rd SFG(A)
c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to c0b2a
Buying Truck while downrange

I am currently in Afghanistan, my truck was totaled this last June. I would like to purchase another Tacoma while I am here so to not pay the taxes and perhaps get a deal. Does anyone know of a program with Toyota or 3rd party to get that done.
I know there is one for some American made companies (ie Ford, Chrysler) but I have not found one for Toyota.

Any help / POC would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
mtn3172 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
mtn3172's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried the carbuying service that's available through USAA? This is what I did with my 2011 Tacoma Double Cab Long bed. You get preferred pricing and then they route the vehicle out to a minimum of 3 dealers within your locality who will email and call you. The price you build it for is what the dealreship should be selling it to you for or just a fraction over, gives you great negotiating power with the dealer as I brought this information with me to the dealer who contacted me.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
I've used usaa pricing on 2 new vehicles. It's a real good deal
Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, I had sh** luck with USAA. None of the dealers came close to their price.

To the OP, I've never heard of such a program besides like $500 military discount from Toyota. Maybe buy the truck in a state without sales tax, I think Deleware would be the closest to NC, but DMV might catch you up on that when you go to register.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
I just saw your from NC. If your from Bragg goto the pinehurst Toyota dealer. They have a lady that works for usaa there. She will assure you get the best possible price.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
hey op not sure how soon you are looking to purchase but just a heads up... Greenvile toyota is doing a double your down payment. so you put down 4 grand and they make it 8....its on all 2012 tacomas and tundras. just saw the commercial yesterday. you should be able to send their internet department a email and talk to them. not sure how long it is lasting though.

edit- commercial was just on again and it goes all month.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
soldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
soldierguy's Tacoma Gallery
You'll end up paying taxes based on the zip code of your residence. Even if you bought in a state with no sales taxes, if you register in a state that has sales taxes, you'll get hit with paying the sales taxes when you register it. I've bought vehicles while deployed and bought vehicles from out of state...it all comes back to where you register the vehicle. Even if you can initially register it in a state with no sales tax, you'll pay the sales tax when you register it in your actual state of residence...each state has different rules on the timing (CA is 2 years for example, other states may be less), so it wouldn't hurt to check your state's DMV website to see what their rules are.

I'd e-mail a few dealers and see who is willing to work with you to get the vehicle you want, when you want it, at a price you are willing to pay.

As far as USAA prices, that's one option to look at. Even if the dealer isn't part of USAA's buying service, they may come down to USAA's price. I bought a Jeep once that way...the nearest USAA dealer was over 100 miles away, but I got a local dealer to match the USAA price.

Look into the COSTCO deal as well. Membership isn't too expensive, and you can easily make up the membership cost and quite a bit more by purchasing through them.