Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Help identifing my dad's medals/ribbons

Old 10-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Help identifing my dad's medals/ribbons

I am unsure of what any of them are technically called (I'd like to be able to look up more info).

What is an oak cluster, why do some have multiple bronze oak but one has a silver?

What is the star (versus the oak clusters).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw113sgte View Post

I am unsure of what any of them are technically called (I'd like to be able to look up more info).

What is an oak cluster, why do some have multiple bronze oak but one has a silver?

What is the star (versus the oak clusters).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

top=Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal
middle=AF Commendation Medal, AF Organizational Excellence Award
bottom=National Defense Ribbon, Longevity Ribbon, AF Basis Training

from there you can look up the particulars on how to be given one. the bronze oak leaf is for one instance of the medal/ribbon (in addition to the medal/ribbon itself, ie ribbon+bronze oakleaf=2). the silver oak leaf means 5 of that medal/ribbon. he had the longevity ribbon 7 times, which should mean between 21-23 years, IIRC.

as for badges, the top is his missile maintenance badge, middle is parachutist badge, and bottom should be the space badge.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
top=Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal
middle=AF Commendation Medal, AF Organizational Excellence Award
bottom=National Defense Ribbon, Longevity Ribbon, AF Basis Training

from there you can look up the particulars on how to be given one. the bronze oak leaf is for one instance of the medal/ribbon (in addition to the medal/ribbon itself, ie ribbon+bronze oakleaf=2). the silver oak leaf means 5 of that medal/ribbon. he had the longevity ribbon 7 times, which should mean between 21-23 years, IIRC.

as for badges, the top is his missile maintenance badge, middle is parachutist badge, and bottom should be the space badge.
Thanks that gives me a place to start!
For the middle you listed 2, but there are 3 ribbons.
He was in for 30 years BTW.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.afribbons.com/

Click on ribbon builder on the left tab and it will list every one of the ribbons available.

And here are all of the badges.

http://www.af.mil/art/mediagallery.asp?galleryID=4897
Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not much help on the awards, but wanted to say thank you and I am very grateful for your fathers 30yrs of service!!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw113sgte View Post
Thanks that gives me a place to start!
For the middle you listed 2, but there are 3 ribbons.
He was in for 30 years BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Middle row-Middle ribbon is the AF Outstanding Unit Award I think...
^^this. overlooked on my part.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the thread jack OP,, But what is the star in the NDR bottom left. The navy the star is the same ribbon X2 so he joined and re-uped in times of War?? Jim
Old 10-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
Sorry for the thread jack OP,, But what is the star in the NDR bottom left. The navy the star is the same ribbon X2 so he joined and re-uped in times of War?? Jim
IIRC you rate a star if, over your career you serve during two separate wars. So a WWII and Korea vet would rate a star. Not 100% though
Old 10-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
IIRC you rate a star if, over your career you serve during two separate wars. So a WWII and Korea vet would rate a star. Not 100% though
More or less nailed it. It is authorized for a certain period of time...Serve thru multiple periods, get multiple awards. I know a few guys who have them for Gulf War I and post 9/11 operations.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoutheastTaco View Post
I'm not much help on the awards, but wanted to say thank you and I am very grateful for your fathers 30yrs of service!!
Thanks. He didn't want to retire but mandatory came up (finished as Colonel). He retired and then worked at the rocket lab out at Edwards.
Unfortunately due to his work with agent orange and other chemical weapons, they likely contributed to his brain cancer and he died at 65.