1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

next gen Army IPFU

Discussion in 'Military' started by adio, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Oct 31, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    adio

adio [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    I'm not sure if its been discuss before. since there's a thread regarding the Army getting rid of the current unis, I've figure we can talk about the Army moving to a next gen IPFU. How many of you Soldiers have voted? Any comment(s) about the design that's been put up for votes?

here's the best site that I could find that shows each choice. I'm not a fan of that yellow design. From what I remember I think I voted for design#6. Commented about using a fabric like under armour, lighter in design and fast drying.

http://www.army.mil/article/88622/Soldiers_get_20_days_to_vote_on_new_PT_uniform/

2. Oct 31, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    with colors that bright... I wonder if we'll all still get hit by cars unless we wear a reflective belt?

Edit:
    Ope, still have the belt haha

3. Nov 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    rokedawg

rokedawg Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab trd off-road 6sp mt
    I appreciate that the Army is reaching out for inputs but I think they are all ugly in a "this is not a fashion show" kind of way. I wish they would stop trying to "keep up with the times" and just keep it simple. I am constantly reminded of the x-million dollars the Army spent on the ACUs compared to less than a million the other branches spent (I am going off of my memory on an article I read on Army Times a while ago).

4. Nov 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    What's wrong with the current army PT clothes? Between the Air Force and Army uniform changes over teh past 10 yrs, we probaly could have developed jet packs by now.

5. Nov 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    rokedawg

rokedawg Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab trd off-road 6sp mt
    x2

6. Nov 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    I can't believe your military is doing this. I know we are in the era of social media, and that everyone thinks they have a opinion that means something... but like I used to tell my troops... "We're here to defend democracy, not practice it". It's issue PT gear for CS... don't like it, too bad, put it on.

Frank

7. Nov 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    TeamLombardo

TeamLombardo WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    OME 886x, OME Trim Packer, OME Shocks, Dakars, Toytec Shims, LR UCAs, CB Drop, Demello Sliders, Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Warn VR8000-s, RI 20" LED, RI Duallys, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Liners, SS Brake Lines Front/Back, BHLM, Anytime Fogs, CV Boot Mod, 20% Tint, Stubby Antenna, Salex Console Organizer, Derped Grill/Badges
    I agree, to an extent. But, when an organization reaches out to its employees (in this case the Soldiers) and solicits their opinion on something that directly effects them on a daily basis, it contributes to employee job satisfaction (if their voice is indeed heard) and gives a sense that the organization actually cares about its employees/troops.

I do agree with "....don't like it, too bad...", but that approach doesn't work all of the time. Organizations that succeed are those that are learning organizations and ones that accept change.

I could care less how the IPFU looks (within reason), as long as its functional, then I am happy. The current design could definitely be improved.

8. Nov 11, 2012 at 3:32 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    I see your point, and can embrace the fact that organizations that do this help themselves by having they employees become invested in the organization by being able to make small decisions such as this. However I don't believe that a country's military should be treated like a private corporation, and members are soldiers, airman, etc... never employees.

Frank

9. Nov 11, 2012 at 3:41 AM
    Hughesc99

Hughesc99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Derby, KS
    Looks strangely similar to our Air Force pt crap. The military needs ro scrap all uniforms and go to one for all. I.e. multicam and useful pt gear. End all the money wasting.

10. Nov 11, 2012 at 3:51 AM
    j83soldier

j83soldier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    X100000 If you want your opinion to matter stay in and work your way to the top. Unil the shut the eff up do as you told and learn that way when you are in a position to have a say it is an educated one. I hate this "every soldier is a sensor" bullshit. NO do your job, pay you dues, learn then contribute. Not hard, not america, not your "right", its the army

11. Nov 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    TeamLombardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    OME 886x, OME Trim Packer, OME Shocks, Dakars, Toytec Shims, LR UCAs, CB Drop, Demello Sliders, Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Warn VR8000-s, RI 20" LED, RI Duallys, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Liners, SS Brake Lines Front/Back, BHLM, Anytime Fogs, CV Boot Mod, 20% Tint, Stubby Antenna, Salex Console Organizer, Derped Grill/Badges
    The "top" are the ones asking Soldiers opinions and what they want. They obviously don't have the right answer so they are curious as to what everyday Joe wants, probably in hopes to not unnecessarily spend money we can't afford to waste, i.e. ACU shananigans.

The "top" has been in much longer than you and I combined I am sure. "....do as you told and learn that way" is a mentality of an Army that existed when the "top" probably first joined the Army (Vietnam era). Why don't we operate that way now if our current leaders (the "top") were brought up that way? Maybe because it was ineffective or could not be applied to every situation?

"...do your job, pay your dues, learn then contribute". Couldn't agree with you more.

This following question doesn't require a response, but what did you think about the beret when the whole Army put it on? How about when we switched back? Please keep in mind that this example of the beret directly relates to the argument at hand (Solely the decision of the "top" vs. when Soldiers are included in the decision making process)

I am assuming that you are at the contributing level based on your previous statement of "...do your job, pay your dues, learn then contribute", so that is why I ask what you think about the beret business.

12. Nov 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    TeamLombardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

Oh, and take good care of that leg. Glad to see that you are smoking and joking. Take care over there brother. I'll be there in a couple weeks.

13. Nov 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    I voted for Design #1 with the black shirts (yellow "ARMY") and the short to say "ARMY" as opposed to the Army star,

If I recall correctly, there is more going into the change of the IPFU than just the looks. I think they are trying to keep up with products like Under Armour - making the tops "moisture wicking" and "anti-microbial". I assume the PT shorts will stay the same. I personally like them a lot and wouldn't change the shorts. I prefer Under Armour shirts, so that would be a welcome change.

14. Nov 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    I think it's all a waste of money. Go back to the old sweats and wear the tan ACU undershirt as the shirt. Saves money, I'm tired of this stupid spending on crap that "looks cool".

15. Nov 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    TeamLombardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

16. Nov 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    0LyRunner

0LyRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner

I voted the same, use black with a little yellow would look cool. Doubt it will happen but oh well.

17. Nov 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    i vote we just keep the ones we have already, they arnt that old to begin with. all the army is doing is looking for another way to just piss away money. just like the new PT test. is the benefit really outweighing the millions of dollars going into this dumb shit?

18. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Keep the current ones???? WTF, have you ever worn the shirt, or should I say weighted vest. It weighs at least 3x that of a normal shirt, and breathes about the same. Worst shirt ever. I wouldn't wear that shirt on a normal occasion, much less to work out.

The marines have it the best. Light undershirt and soffee shorts.

With all that said, I don't care what they do, I don't wear the pt uniform, so they could put a giant pink gorilla sucking off a unicorn for all I care.

The only reason they try to make it "look good" is so you'll wear it when you aren't required too. I.E. going out in public. Free publicity/advertisement. You might not know it, but a nice looking uniform impresses. Wether it's a chick you're looking to hook-up with, a little ten year old kid, or that HS graduate who is looking for his next move. That uniform is going to influence two of those people, and three if you're not weaksauce.

19. Mar 16, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    I think they should bring back the banana suit along with that double cotton reversible black and gold t-shirt.

If it was good enough for us Soldiers in the early 80's then it's good enough for you guys :)

Products Discussed in

To Top