Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Going from Marines to Army/National Guard

Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Going from Marines to Army/National Guard

I've been in the reserves for the whole time in the Marine Corps. Since the Marine Corps is down sizing and the reserves isn't deploying anywhere, I'd figure it's time to move on.

I still believe in service to the country and I've been thinking about crossing into the Army Reserves or National Guard either as a Combat Engineer, Military Policeman, or staying as a grunt. How's the training in the Army? I would like to keep the "warrior mindset" and the Marine Corps has been good about that.

For those who've crossed over or know someone who does, what's it like going from Marine to Army side? Is the camaraderie pretty strong? I'm a Corporal, am I gonna be able to keep the NCO status in the Army?

Does the Army/National Guard treat you better than the Marine Corps' bs?

Thank you!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
As a former Marine with Air Guard parents I can tell you the air guard is the best kept secret in the military. Look into it.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAV8R View Post
As a former Marine with Air Guard parents I can tell you the air guard is the best kept secret in the military. Look into it.
we're no secret we constantly have new folks come in that were army...AD/reserves/NG. i don't know of too many marines that have come over to air guard.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just go active?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
we're no secret we constantly have new folks come in that were army...AD/reserves/NG. i don't know of too many marines that have come over to air guard.
Air National Guard is far from known by the general public. A buddy of mine from the Corps signed with the national guard for a short period. It was far from the Corps so he got out. Both my parents did 20+ in the air guard. I recently went to the base/air station where their unit transferred to and 4 out of 5 of the mp's I spoke with were former Marines. I told them the found out the best kept secret in the military and they agreed.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
this is what i am looking at as well.. i am tired of all the bullish!t that goes with this job. so i have a buddy that is in the air guard and have been talking to him about it for a while. most recently the green weenie might strike me again before i get out. wont know till dec for sure. but back on track the air guard or national guard both have really good incentives for example the national guard has a 1 year "try it out" program to see if you like it. also according to their website they offer bonuses for 3 and 6 year reserve contracts. i am trying to go air guard but if that doesnt work then maybe i will go national guard. find your air guard or national guard recruiter and talk to them. good luck
Old 11-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
also in the national guard you keep your rank and tig &tis.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
0369 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Grunt
Name: Staff Sergeant
0369's Tacoma Gallery
I was AD USMC Ssgt. Grunt for 9 yrs. I got out for 2.5 yrs, missed it bad. I didnt want to give up my Full time career and didnt want to go back AD either. USMC reserves had zero openings in my AO. So I looked into the Naty Guard and it sounded like the perfect fit for me and my family. I stayed infantry, have been deployed and its by no means the Corps. BUT,,,, I knew that going in. You have all types in the guard, former Devils, AF, and AD Army bubbas. Really, its all what you make of it. You have to know and understand its not gonna be the Corps! You still have days where your like, WTF!!! Ive been in it now for 6.5 yrs. Gonna finish my 20+ and still have my family life. My unit and my Plt are trained to my standards! The corps values, and discipline! I wont compromise that! I enjoy what I do now knowing that time is on my side and eventually at the end of the weekend....I go home You will be surprised how many devils are in the Guard. The last piece of advice I have is, dont gloat that you were a Marine. Let your actions speak for you, they (Guard) know what to expect from Marines..Hard chargers!!! Semper Fi and good luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
mike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant future
Army: SFC,  19 years, 5 to go.
Name: Michael
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
I was AD CPL in the Marines and went to Army Reserves. I stop going to drill and got kick out. I could not relate or adjust to the Army Reserves. I went back to the Army Reserves a year latter with a different mind set. I was there to collect a pay check. I did a good job for the Army reserves even with that mind set and was "ordered" to go AGR. Now I am Active Duty working for reserve units. I PCS every 3 to 4 years. Its different. Keep your standards and don't brag about the Marines.