1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going from Marines to Army/National Guard

Discussion in 'Military' started by YayAreaTaco0311, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Nov 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 [OP] Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    I've been in the reserves for the whole time in the Marine Corps. Since the Marine Corps is down sizing and the reserves isn't deploying anywhere, I'd figure it's time to move on.

I still believe in service to the country and I've been thinking about crossing into the Army Reserves or National Guard either as a Combat Engineer, Military Policeman, or staying as a grunt. How's the training in the Army? I would like to keep the "warrior mindset" and the Marine Corps has been good about that.

For those who've crossed over or know someone who does, what's it like going from Marine to Army side? Is the camaraderie pretty strong? I'm a Corporal, am I gonna be able to keep the NCO status in the Army?

Does the Army/National Guard treat you better than the Marine Corps' bs?

Thank you!

2. Nov 7, 2012 at 4:41 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    As a former Marine with Air Guard parents I can tell you the air guard is the best kept secret in the military. Look into it.

3. Nov 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    we're no secret :D we constantly have new folks come in that were army...AD/reserves/NG. i don't know of too many marines that have come over to air guard.

4. Nov 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Why not just go active?

5. Nov 7, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Air National Guard is far from known by the general public. A buddy of mine from the Corps signed with the national guard for a short period. It was far from the Corps so he got out. Both my parents did 20+ in the air guard. I recently went to the base/air station where their unit transferred to and 4 out of 5 of the mp's I spoke with were former Marines. I told them the found out the best kept secret in the military and they agreed.

6. Nov 9, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

11SuperwhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 Super White TRD Off Road w JBL
    AFE cai, MBRP cat back, TonnoPro hard folding cover, Weather Tech's
    this is what i am looking at as well.. i am tired of all the bullish!t that goes with this job. so i have a buddy that is in the air guard and have been talking to him about it for a while. most recently the green weenie might strike me again before i get out. wont know till dec for sure. but back on track the air guard or national guard both have really good incentives for example the national guard has a 1 year "try it out" program to see if you like it. also according to their website they offer bonuses for 3 and 6 year reserve contracts. i am trying to go air guard but if that doesnt work then maybe i will go national guard. find your air guard or national guard recruiter and talk to them. good luck

7. Nov 9, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

11SuperwhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 Super White TRD Off Road w JBL
    AFE cai, MBRP cat back, TonnoPro hard folding cover, Weather Tech's
    also in the national guard you keep your rank and tig &tis.

8. Nov 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM

0369 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Staff Sergeant
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    pretty boy stuff
    I was AD USMC Ssgt. Grunt for 9 yrs. I got out for 2.5 yrs, missed it bad. I didnt want to give up my Full time career and didnt want to go back AD either. USMC reserves had zero openings in my AO. So I looked into the Naty Guard and it sounded like the perfect fit for me and my family. I stayed infantry, have been deployed and its by no means the Corps. BUT,,,, I knew that going in. You have all types in the guard, former Devils, AF, and AD Army bubbas. Really, its all what you make of it. You have to know and understand its not gonna be the Corps! You still have days where your like, WTF!!! Ive been in it now for 6.5 yrs. Gonna finish my 20+ and still have my family life. My unit and my Plt are trained to my standards! The corps values, and discipline! I wont compromise that! I enjoy what I do now knowing that time is on my side and eventually at the end of the weekend....I go home;) You will be surprised how many devils are in the Guard. The last piece of advice I have is, dont gloat that you were a Marine. Let your actions speak for you, they (Guard) know what to expect from Marines..Hard chargers!!! Semper Fi and good luck!

9. Nov 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    mike92y

mike92y Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    OME all around. SPC UCA. This and that.
    I was AD CPL in the Marines and went to Army Reserves. I stop going to drill and got kick out. I could not relate or adjust to the Army Reserves. I went back to the Army Reserves a year latter with a different mind set. I was there to collect a pay check. I did a good job for the Army reserves even with that mind set and was "ordered" to go AGR. Now I am Active Duty working for reserve units. I PCS every 3 to 4 years. Its different. Keep your standards and don't brag about the Marines.

Products Discussed in

To Top