Notices

Military Academy=Military Service?

View Poll Results: Academy = Service
Good Enough 3 4.23%
Not Quite 68 95.77%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #61
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
My guess it was because you met once a month (viewed as an active reservist). I was in before you were and didn't get any credit for DEP but I didn't meet during that period.
I was not counted as an active reservist because I was still 17 at the time. You WERE allowed to sign a DEP at 17, but could not serve until after your 18th birthday. To support this, if I WAS considered active reserves, I would have gotten paid for those times (You cannot drill without being paid) Our get togethers were never scheduled, nor on specific dates. The group that was in DEP got together to schedule when it would be best for all of us to get together at the same time so we could PT. It was not required, but was "heavily recommended" by the recruiter.

I do recall my DD-214 showed an appropriate amount of time credited towards my retirement, however reserve retirement pay and benefits are different. To get FULL retirement one had to do 30 years in the reserve. (I remember this because at that time we had a HUGE retirement party for our 1st Sgt who was retiring with full benefits after 25 years. He was credited 5 years active, and 20 years reserve. Strange how they do their calculations, but I remember I was curious at the time so I went to admin to have the requirements looked up. Take into account that I did this research in 1992, and things HAVE changed I am sure is 20 years.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #62
RyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1Lt, C-130 Navigator
Name: Ryan
RyanLikesTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I was not counted as an active reservist because I was still 17 at the time. You WERE allowed to sign a DEP at 17, but could not serve until after your 18th birthday. To support this, if I WAS considered active reserves, I would have gotten paid for those times (You cannot drill without being paid) Our get togethers were never scheduled, nor on specific dates. The group that was in DEP got together to schedule when it would be best for all of us to get together at the same time so we could PT. It was not required, but was "heavily recommended" by the recruiter.

I do recall my DD-214 showed an appropriate amount of time credited towards my retirement, however reserve retirement pay and benefits are different. To get FULL retirement one had to do 30 years in the reserve. (I remember this because at that time we had a HUGE retirement party for our 1st Sgt who was retiring with full benefits after 25 years. He was credited 5 years active, and 20 years reserve. Strange how they do their calculations, but I remember I was curious at the time so I went to admin to have the requirements looked up. Take into account that I did this research in 1992, and things HAVE changed I am sure is 20 years.
Things have definitely changed. I too enlisted at 17, granted, in the reserves, and showed up on drill weekends and was paid as an E-3 (what I graduated boot camp as) and received retirement points. Obviously at 17, I had to have my parents sign my life away just below my signature and a letter from my HS counselor saying I was on track to graduate.

Retirement is different too. You only have to do 20 years in the reserves to receive a retirement. Granted, its not a full retirement, unless you accumulate those 7,300 points like an active duty guy does. I'm officially a traditional reservist, but being in a flying job, I work 2-4 days a week and go on alot of TDYs, logging retirement points for all that I do. I have 12.5 years of service but 9 years worth of active duty retirement points. So, in order to get my full 20 year retirement, I need to accumulate enough points. It might take 30 years to get 20 years worth of points but I don't have to PCS to a new duty station every few years and have my wife find a new job and kid start a new school. Buying a house and actually living there for more than 3 years without having to sell or rent it to some hoodlums is always a plus too! They call us types "Guard Bums" as we are (air) national guard bubbas who will do anything for a retirment point and a pay check.

I've even volunteered to work on base construction jobs for pay days and we all know Air Force bubbas don't really ever get dirty!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #63
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLikesTacos View Post
Things have definitely changed. I too enlisted at 17, granted, in the reserves, and showed up on drill weekends and was paid as an E-3 (what I graduated boot camp as) and received retirement points. Obviously at 17, I had to have my parents sign my life away just below my signature and a letter from my HS counselor saying I was on track to graduate.

Retirement is different too. You only have to do 20 years in the reserves to receive a retirement. Granted, its not a full retirement, unless you accumulate those 7,300 points like an active duty guy does. I'm officially a traditional reservist, but being in a flying job, I work 2-4 days a week and go on alot of TDYs, logging retirement points for all that I do. I have 12.5 years of service but 9 years worth of active duty retirement points. So, in order to get my full 20 year retirement, I need to accumulate enough points. It might take 30 years to get 20 years worth of points but I don't have to PCS to a new duty station every few years and have my wife find a new job and kid start a new school. Buying a house and actually living there for more than 3 years without having to sell or rent it to some hoodlums is always a plus too! They call us types "Guard Bums" as we are (air) national guard bubbas who will do anything for a retirment point and a pay check.

I've even volunteered to work on base construction jobs for pay days and we all know Air Force bubbas don't really ever get dirty!
Yeah, you could retire in the Marines at 20 years as well, just not FULL retirement like you mentioned. It took about 30 reserve years to get the full retirement with benefits. (Just like most other corporate jobs) I was raised as an AF brat, so I was used to the constant moving. I was fortunate enough that since my dad was a high trained officer, we didn't move around quite as often. (Usually 6 years or so) We lived in Florida (Satellite Beach) while he was stationed with NASA, then West Virginia while he was stationed in Washington. Eventually we moved to Charleston, SC where he retired. Funny story there, he wanted to transfer to Charleston, SC when he was a Captain (He went to AF Academy in Colorado) but they kept saying no. So he resigned his commission, moved us to SC, then ENLISTED and worked his way back up to Tech-sgt. When he hit his 20 years and retired, he retired at his highest rank attained, so he has the retirement pay/benefits of a Captain. Even his retirement base sticker for his car is officer-blue.