Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

DoD Buying 22 -- V-22s for 1.2 Billion

Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
DoD Buying 22 -- V-22s for 1.2 Billion

I was reading in USA Today that Dod was buying 22 - V-22s for $1.3 Billion ... that is over $50 Million a copy ...

The breakdown was 17 - MV-22s for USMC ... and 5 for USAF Special Ops.

Maybe I am too old school on this ...but I am not a believer in the V-22 yet ... i.e ... costs, ability to take small arms fire and it's durability.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
I know the V22 has been in theatre, but I have not read anything on how well it's performed. I remember reading they were keeping it in really "safe" situations, but I have no clue. I think it's a sweet idea to have a troop carrier that can fly as fast as a turbo prop and be able to hover and land anywhere. But the back story is pretty shady with the whole ordering crews to falsify records. $50mil for a new aircraft in todays world is not a bad deal. I thought the USAF was going with the UH47 for spec ops?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Below are the reported financials of the V22 program.

Not sure how well it performs but, the program cost was estimated to be a little over $36,000,000,000. The original planed purchase quantity was 408 units or $88,000,000 each. Current units sold is 160 or a cost of $225,000,000 each. List price is a little over $69,000,000 (doesn't really add up well for Bell/Boeing). So, excluding possible performance issues $59,000,000 each sounds like a deal.

It's not uncommon for Boeing to have $200,000,000 unit cost on the commercial side of the business.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Dental Floss Tycoon
swamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TACP
swamppirate's Tacoma Gallery
Everytime I got in one I held my breath....Give me a leaky Shithook anyday....