LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Enlistment date

Old 02-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Enlistment date

How far out can you enlist? I passed the ASVAB, and 95% of the physical. Currently, I am only waiting for my X-rays (should be g2g) and my hearing/vision test and I'm done.

The military is something I've wanted to do for years and the wife has given her blessing...under 1 factor; we're due in June w/ our second and I wouldn't leave her w/ a newborn and a 6yr old. How far out can I "delay" my enlistment date?
Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe just wait until you are ready to enlist. What is the benefit to enlisting early? I would be concerned that a recruiter would tell you "sure, we can delay". Then you get a certified letter telling you "Report to basic in 2 weeks". Good Luck! Thanks for your (future) service!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #3
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Well I know the ASVAB can't be retaken for 2 years so I would think it has to be somewhere around that time frame?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Any recruiters on here that can help answer this ?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
dibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud of
Air Force:
dibble9012's Tacoma Gallery
When I was in the DEP (delayed enlistment program), the maximum amount of time that you could wait was a year. BUT that is not guaranteed. Whenever a job drops you could go. Yes it's a pain waiting and not knowing when, but I am extremely happy with what I do and love being in the military. Your situation is different since you have a baby on the way. Remember this though, there may never be a "convenient" time to go through the training when you join. Especially with a family. If you want to serve your country, have amazing training and benefits, and be able to experience more in life then just do it.

BTW basic military training for the AF is about 2 months, but after that you still have tech school which, depending on the job can last anywhere from a few months to 2 years.

I am not a recruiter, just telling my experience.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks...this is for the AF Reserves...I appreciate your reply and service...as for the jobs Im looking at Security Forces...they have a local opening (would I train there for the job?)
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
dibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud ofdibble9012 has much to be proud of
Air Force:
dibble9012's Tacoma Gallery
You would go to BMT along with active duty and go to tech school in San Antonio along with active duty.

Wondering why you want security forces?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Active duty on reserve status?

I've been in private security (management) for almost 9 years...Not interested in PD work per se, but close to it....
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
How far out can you enlist? I passed the ASVAB, and 95% of the physical. Currently, I am only waiting for my X-rays (should be g2g) and my hearing/vision test and I'm done.

The military is something I've wanted to do for years and the wife has given her blessing...under 1 factor; we're due in June w/ our second and I wouldn't leave her w/ a newborn and a 6yr old. How far out can I "delay" my enlistment date?

http://www.delayedentryprogram.com/Air_Force_DEP.htm
Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, you'll probably be in San antonio for a good..6 months? Ish?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't know you wanted to join. You should talk with my dad next time he is in town man. He can set you up with some people.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
I am an Army and Army Reserve Recruiter....if you have any questions, PM me and I will help you out to the best of my ability.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
I was always told you could DEP up to a year. Ask your recruiter though and GET IT IN WRITING. When I joined the CG they asked what date I wanted to go to boot and that was that but they also had no incentive to trick anyone since they were pretty much done recruiting 6 months into the fiscal year. I'd imagine the Air Force is the same way if it's anything like some of my buddies have told me especially now with all the cutbacks but still, get your date in writing.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
I am an Army and Army Reserve Recruiter....if you have any questions, PM me and I will help you out to the best of my ability.

I still want to know where the sail boats and the girls walking around in very tiny bathing suits are waited 23 years and never saw them damn recruiters LOL PFFT

Cypher
Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
Thanks brotha!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
Yeah, you'll probably be in San antonio for a good..6 months? Ish?
I Googled it-13-14wks + basic of 8.5...
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #17
soldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
soldierguy's Tacoma Gallery
DEP is really just a way of allowing someone to sign a contract and wait until a school date is available. It's driven by open slots at the school, in this case security forces. When there's an opening there, they backwards plan and put you into a basic training class whose graduation is just before the opening in the security forces school. School openings are based on projected needs of the Air Force, the throughput capacity of the school, and projected attrition rates.

It's also a way to minimize putting someone on active duty and have them sitting around after basic training with no job (but still getting paid), just waiting for a school opening.

Your recruiter should be able to quickly and easily find out when he can get you in. If he says he can't, then he has likely already met his recruiting goal for the month and wants to wait until the next month to have you sign.

25 years ago before I signed a contract, I knew exactly when I'd start basic, my language school, and my MOS training. If that could be done 25 years ago, it's definitely do-able today.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #18
Common sense isn't very common!
CrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Port Dawgs
Name: Johnathan
CrazyCooter's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on if you go in with a guaranteed job. As long as you dont go in as open general then you will normally have a little while before you leave for basic. Once everything is g2g you will have a leave date for basic which will be for 8.5 weeks, once you graduate you will then go to tech school on Lackland same place as basic which 13.5 weeks. After you graduate tech school you will then go to your assigned base which will more than likely be close to home since you are going reserve, as long as the base you choose has an opening there. Also you can enlist as a reservist and your date of rank starts then, instead of like active duty where your date of rank is when you either get to basic or when you graduate depending on your contract and prior schooling. Just make sure you dont go OPEN GENERAL go in with a guaranteed JOB!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #19
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
Active duty on reserve status?

I've been in private security (management) for almost 9 years...Not interested in PD work per se, but close to it....
Not to bash any particular job but, Security Forces may not be what you think it is. Are you trying to work at Peterson?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Joining the military eh Sean?

Got your text, figured I'd pop in here....don't know much about the AF, or the reserves. Understand though, that you could get called up....which I'm sure you've chatted with Carm about.

If SF is what you wanna do, and you wanna be a reserve, why not look into being a reserve cop..