Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Wanted/Wanting to join the Marines or military in general

Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #21
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I used to be really dead set on the marines but that was when I was 16 and I had only listened to the marines now I am looking into all 5 and I am going to see how things go in the next year or so but thanks for the advice Buzzard
Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #22
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
I wouldn't be doing infantry I would be looking into the mechanic field or the engineering side of the military
Sounds like you need to do a lot more research. Go talk to recruiters just to get a sense of what they can offer you. Then come back and we can help answer questions after that. Not wanting to join because of a doc from 50+ years ago and not wanting to go to Afghanistan are big indicators that you need to really take some time to understand what you are trying to get into.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to give ya advice from the inside, man. The Corps has a low budget (I think 10% of the Navy's or something ridiculous). So if you're not looking to be pure infantry than pretty much anywhere else will just about guarantee you better food, housing, gear, everything. And you'll likely be treated more like a person haha

Good luck figuring things out.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
Go talk to recruiters
Talk to recruiters like you talk to car salesmen.

You do your research elsewhere.
Ask your questions of those who have experience.

Only talk to them when it's time to negotiate what you get out of it. They are less reliable for info than a car salesman 99% of the time.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
JakeyWakey will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 121st SFS
Name: Jake
JakeyWakey's Tacoma Gallery
Hey op? Look into the guard or reserve as well!

You can learn a great skill set for a civilian career in basic and tech school, have drill 1 weekend a month, and you can actually have said career concurrently!

You said mechanic, so why not be a mechanic with a military background? Looks damn good on resumes.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, in the guard and reserve, you can actually be full-time military, you can deploy if you want, you can travel if you want, all while stationed at a base close to home.

Where do you live? I'm sure there's a good base near you!

...I'm not a recruter, I'm actually Military Police at Rickenbacker AFB in Columbus. I have really enjoyed my first 3 and a half years in the guard, I would have gone active, but I really wanted my degree from Ohio State too, so I stayed home. I think it would suit you pretty well because you're unsure of deploying and don't want to fight. You can also get college 100% free, depending on which state you live in.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #27
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post

Only talk to them when it's time to negotiate what you get out of it. They are less reliable for info than a car salesman 99% of the time.
You're right, but last time I checked the Navy, Air force, and Coast Guard are all downsizing. His only options might be Army or Marines. It would suck to waste a ton of time picking out a branch you can't even get into right now.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #28
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Marines and army are also downsizing.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #29

Marine Corps is downsizing too. I think they all are being more selective to say the least.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
You're right, but last time I checked the Navy, Air force, and Coast Guard are all downsizing. His only options might be Army or Marines. It would suck to waste a ton of time picking out a branch you can't even get into right now.
The AF IS downsizing, but they're getting rid of the higher ups that have been sitting around waiting to retire. As long as your ASVAB is solid, you'll get in.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #31
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Marine Corps is downsizing too. I think they all are being more selective to say the least.
Very, we have one of the top ROTC programs in the state at my school so we can bring in more people but if you have anything wrong you won't get in
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #32
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Very, we have one of the top ROTC programs in the state at my school so we can bring in more people but if you have anything wrong you won't get in
we have one of the top in the nation, even we're losing slots
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
we have one of the top in the nation, even we're losing slots
I think ours is too but I won't say so as I'm not sure. But each state school in PA is given 13 slots I believe, ours received 25+ we had 35 attempting to get in but like I said if you have 1 thing wrong you're done
Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #34
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I have been seriously looking into joining a branch as well. I am the worst person I know when it comes to picking one thing so I will never decide on my own. I want to do something fun, in the action, but on the other hand I want something that will actually help me when I get out. My buddy is in the army and likes it. Other buddy is a submariner in the navy. I always thought swcc would be awesome but way tough to get in. Wouldn't mind working on a carrier but doubt I have any kind of choice. Air force just doesn't seem exciting enough for me. Most of the jobs are working on equipment of computer stuff.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I have been seriously looking into joining a branch as well. I am the worst person I know when it comes to picking one thing so I will never decide on my own. I want to do something fun, in the action, but on the other hand I want something that will actually help me when I get out. My buddy is in the army and likes it. Other buddy is a submariner in the navy. I always thought swcc would be awesome but way tough to get in. Wouldn't mind working on a carrier but doubt I have any kind of choice. Air force just doesn't seem exciting enough for me. Most of the jobs are working on equipment of computer stuff.
There's ALOT of cool jobs in the AF. Drone pilot, Para Rescue, Combat Control, Security Forces (cops, Me), Ordinance (you make bombs) there's alot more interesting jobs than you think!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #36
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyWakey View Post
There's ALOT of cool jobs in the AF. Drone pilot, Para Rescue, Combat Control, Security Forces (cops, Me), Ordinance (you make bombs) there's alot more interesting jobs than you think!
I looked into security forces in just about every branch, as well as pararescue too
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
I mean, you know you can be a firefighter too, on a carrier or at an AFB
Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #38
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbio615 View Post
if your already looking for an excuse not to join I wouldnt because you will be in Afgahnistan in less than a year after your graduate basic.
depends which branch you join into...and also if you choose active vs guard/reserve.

I've worked fighter aircaft for almost 8 years and never left the US, and i've known friends that went active duty and hit the sandbox within 8 months of leaving training.

kinda depends what job you get into and what stage of the deploy/rest cycle of the unit you end up in.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #39
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyWakey View Post
Hey op? Look into the guard or reserve as well!

You can learn a great skill set for a civilian career in basic and tech school, have drill 1 weekend a month, and you can actually have said career concurrently!

You said mechanic, so why not be a mechanic with a military background? Looks damn good on resumes.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, in the guard and reserve, you can actually be full-time military, you can deploy if you want, you can travel if you want, all while stationed at a base close to home.

Where do you live? I'm sure there's a good base near you!

...I'm not a recruter, I'm actually Military Police at Rickenbacker AFB in Columbus. I have really enjoyed my first 3 and a half years in the guard, I would have gone active, but I really wanted my degree from Ohio State too, so I stayed home. I think it would suit you pretty well because you're unsure of deploying and don't want to fight. You can also get college 100% free, depending on which state you live in.
This is what I want to do after we move, join reserves and train to be a heavy diesel mechanic or marine mechanic

@ nick, Finaly someone else who has heard of SWCC, the video on YouTube looks awesome
Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #40
vashonz is on a distinguished road
Navy: MM1(SS)
vashonz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Treat your recruiter with some respect. Do your research before you go into their office, figure out what you want to do with your life, ask the recruiter to verify or clarify any questions you have.

There is nothing to negotiate what you get out of it. You get the military and the benefits of being in the military. I can't offer anything that isn't written down. If someone comes into my office and trys to negotiate the interview is over.