Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Wanted/Wanting to join the Marines or military in general

Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Wanted/Wanting to join the Marines or military in general

So long story short I want to join the marines or one of the military branches but since Obama got reelected I am hesitant and I have seen some stuff about military training to take civilian weapons and I just am conflicted on if I should join or not plus I don't know if this stuff is true or not so I just wanted to get some advice from some current or past military guys thanks
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
There is no military training to take civilian weapons. I am an instructor that would be in the pipeline of your entry level training and I haven't seen or heard anything on this.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
sparkyufo is a jewel in the roughsparkyufo is a jewel in the roughsparkyufo is a jewel in the roughsparkyufo is a jewel in the rough
Army: 42A
Name: Ben
sparkyufo's Tacoma Gallery
I work in DC and I have not seen anything about civilian weapons being brought in for training.

Where did you see this info at?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The information was from a 1961 state department memorandum it is available to the public I just didn't know if something was in the works for diarmament like the NDAA 2013 was passed.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
1961? Heads up, it's 2013... Just sayin...
Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
sparkyufo is a jewel in the roughsparkyufo is a jewel in the roughsparkyufo is a jewel in the roughsparkyufo is a jewel in the rough
Army: 42A
Name: Ben
sparkyufo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
1961? Heads up, it's 2013... Just sayin...
^^^^^
||||||||

What he said
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly man I'd be asking other questions like civilian opportunities outside after the military, what life is like in the military, benefits, etc. things that involve life time career decisions. I know there's always a recruiter to talk to for those types of things but if you want the truth ask around here or somewhere there is plenty of military personnel. We all know recruiters lie (no offense to those out there). In my honest opinion, no matter what branch you decide to go with, it's a good start to life. I originally signed up for 4 years and then was gonna get out and here I am 7 years later still in.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
Honestly man I'd be asking other questions like civilian opportunities outside after the military, what life is like in the military, benefits, etc. things that involve life time career decisions. I know there's always a recruiter to talk to for those types of things but if you want the truth ask around here or somewhere there is plenty of military personnel. We all know recruiters lie (no offense to those out there). In my honest opinion, no matter what branch you decide to go with, it's a good start to life. I originally signed up for 4 years and then was gonna get out and here I am 7 years later still in.
Funny how that works out that way.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
farbio615 is on a distinguished road
Army: 11B  enough said
Name: Adam
farbio615's Tacoma Gallery
if your already looking for an excuse not to join I wouldnt because you will be in Afgahnistan in less than a year after your graduate basic.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
The military is last federal government entity you should worry about taking your weapons. Not joining because you don't like the CiC is a weak sauce excuse, to put it lightly.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #12

Thanks for clearing the air guys and I probably will joining after Afghanistan is over I support you guys in the service 100% but I think Afghanistan is a hopeless cause now. But thanks for the advice and Thank for your service
Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
Thanks for clearing the air guys and I probably will joining after Afghanistan is over I support you guys in the service 100% but I think Afghanistan is a hopeless cause now. But thanks for the advice and Thank for your service
Honestly, they might not need you then.. They are already down sizing and Afghanistan may not be over for another 5 years, just my opinion. I was turned away from the marines, even with being in college and a decent asvab score.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think Afghanistan will ever be over or the middle east in general for that matter. Why wait till it ends to join the marines though?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Don't join the Corps if you're not looking to fight. If you want to get a real job and all that I don't blame ya. You might as well go over to a branch that actually has a budget and you will pick up rank quicker, and be treated better, etc. Then you can decide if you want to stay in or get out and have a job skill.

If you were looking to go infantry, I'd tell you to be a Marine.

Anything else, any other branch. Air Force is my first advice to anyone looking for a job skill set, then Navy.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Do your history research...........they have been fighting in Afghanistan forever.....either against "foreigners" or among themselves. Afghanistan is a tribal state country.......lots of infighting between "family" tribes.......that's why it will never be peaceful there.

If you are interested in joining the military, you should look past the military for your civilian employment goals......not many jobs out there for a mortar crewman or a machine gunner. Find/qualify for a military job with a civilian counterpart.....there are hundreds.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
not many jobs out there for a mortar crewman or a machine gunner.
Word.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #18

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
It really is basically going to come down what job you want to do. My advice, like the above posters, is to find a job that has a place in the civilian world as well. There are tons of people who join not knowing if they want to make it a career and only do one term and separate. If that's your plan then don't pick a military specific job. But like Buzzard said, if you're not willing/ready to fight then don't go into the corps. Your best bet would be either AF or Navy. I've been in the AF over 6 years now and only deployed once but I volunteered for it.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #19

I wouldn't be doing infantry I would be looking into the mechanic field or the engineering side of the military
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #20

Navy has good mechs.