Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Deployment Helmet Cam Videos

Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Aim small, miss small.
WhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant future

Army:
WhiteStorm's Tacoma Gallery
Deployment Helmet Cam Videos

I figured I would share an interesting playlist of videos compiled by a guy on YouTube named "Funker530." I'm sure many of you have seen a video or two of these, but I wanted to share the whole playlist.

For the leaders and officers, this particularly good to watch through a leadership study perspective. I've watched the firefight videos with a "what would I do" lens and it's proven to be pretty insightful. For those of us without a deployment yet, this is a good way to learn. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FUNKER530/videos?view=0
Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
soldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
soldierguy's Tacoma Gallery
I've been to both Iraq and Afghanistan. If you haven't been deployed and you're curious about what a soldier experiences, I'd highly recommend the following:

- Read War by Sebastian Junger. It gets into not just what the Soldiers did, but how it affected them. Absolutely the best book I've read about the current conflict in Afghanistan.

- Watch Restrepo as filmed by Junger and by Tim Hetherington. It lacks the details of the book, but provides the visuals that the book lacks.

If you read no other books or watch no other documentaries, those two are the ones to get. Other really good ones follow:

They Fought for Each Other, by Kelly Kennedy. Iraq. Excellent book about the bonds that develop in combat.

Greetings from Afghanistan - Send More Ammo, by Benjamin Tupper. Written by a former Advisor to the Afghan National Army, early on in the Afghan conflict. I've been an Advisor on two deployments, and early on these guys had a crazy tough mission, going out in pairs with the ANA.

Those are a few of my favorites.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Aim small, miss small.
WhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant future

Army:
Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen Restrepo and read Kennedy's book - both were really interesting. I'll check out Junger's book as well.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Terrorist Reduction Detachment
johnmichael125 is on a distinguished road
Army: Squad Leader Bandit Company, 3rd Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade, 3rd ID
Name: john
johnmichael125's Tacoma Gallery
I've got three dudes in my squad alone with helmet cams. One for me (squad leader) then one from a team leader and one from my 249 gunner. It's going to be awesome to just see everything from three different perspectives.

Round 2 for Afghanistan coming up in a week or so.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Aim small, miss small.

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmichael125 View Post
I've got three dudes in my squad alone with helmet cams. One for me (squad leader) then one from a team leader and one from my 249 gunner. It's going to be awesome to just see everything from three different perspectives.

Round 2 for Afghanistan coming up in a week or so.
That's awesome. Have fun and be safe brother.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I'm surprised this is public
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
Our CO told us if he caught us with one of those he would fry our ass.. just a way to get in trouble I'd keep it turned off.. just my .02
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Terrorist Reduction Detachment
johnmichael125 is on a distinguished road
Army: Squad Leader Bandit Company, 3rd Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade, 3rd ID
Name: john
johnmichael125's Tacoma Gallery
My CO is an old Force Recon and Ranger Regiment guy. He doesn't care about helmet cams. As long as we do our job he really doesn't care.