Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

What are my chances of getting into the NuPOC program after college?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
What are my chances of getting into the NuPOC program after college?

Hey all,

I'm graduating in June with my degree in Chemcial/Environmental Engineering, and I decided I want to join the military after college. I know I'll regret it the rest of my life if I don't do it now.

I posted here a few months ago about wanting to join the army, but I feel that going the Navy route especially going though Nuke School will better my life once I return to the civilian world.

I talked with a recruiter. I will have to submit a professional resume, a personal statement, and a transcript to the NuPOC program head from review and that's where the Navy will decided if they want me or not. I'll either start a new life in the Navy or finding another job as a civilian.

My GPA wasn't the best, 2.7, and the program wants a minimum 3.1 GPA and preferred 3.5 GPA. Since I've worked 20+ hrs/week paying for what loans and grants don't cover, but I feel if I convey that fact in my personal statement, that I struggled in paying for tuition and had work 3 part time jobs distracting me from the school work, the Navy will give me a shot...

What do you think?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
Hey all,

I'm graduating in June with my degree in Chemcial/Environmental Engineering, and I decided I want to join the military after college. I know I'll regret it the rest of my life if I don't do it now.

I posted here a few months ago about wanting to join the army, but I feel that going the Navy route especially going though Nuke School will better my life once I return to the civilian world.

I talked with a recruiter. I will have to submit a professional resume, a personal statement, and a transcript to the NuPOC program head from review and that's where the Navy will decided if they want me or not. I'll either start a new life in the Navy or finding another job as a civilian.

My GPA wasn't the best, 2.7, and the program wants a minimum 3.1 GPA and preferred 3.5 GPA. Since I've worked 20+ hrs/week paying for what loans and grants don't cover, but I feel if I convey that fact in my personal statement, that I struggled in paying for tuition and had work 3 part time jobs distracting me from the school work, the Navy will give me a shot...

What do you think?

That sucks man. This is one thing I fear in school, not having a GPA that is good enough to get me into the engineering program at OIT.

Can you raise your GPA by taking some classes over again?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
statement, that I struggled in paying for tuition and had work 3 part time jobs distracting me from the school work, the Navy will give me a shot...

What do you think?
Playing devil's advocate....
"You should have planned better, sought support from family, and more wisely allocated your time to reduce your distractions."

Personally, I can't imagine working 3 part time jobs, or even one full time job, while carrying a full course load.
My heaviest semester I was carrying 17 units and working part time at a machine shop and it was killer. I had zero social life, and I flat out did not have enough time to do all of the reading required, and ended up dropping two of my core classes. I didn't think it would be a problem because I had carried 17 units before, but the combination of business law, poly-sci, logic & critical thinking, and 2nd semester Economics... I had 4-5 hours of reading every night.

Best of luck... I hope they agree with you.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I wish I knew 3 years ago that I want to join the Navy NuPoc program. It would have saved me from having to work so much since I would have joined then. All my trouble started when I lost my scholarship due to budget cuts. I had a 3.8 GPA at the end of my second year.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Not bursting your bubble man, but you aren't competitive enough to get accepted with your current GPA. I'm not telling you not to try, I'm telling you to plan accordingly and try harder in preparation for your goal. Keep taking classes until your GPA is at least at the minimum and then submit. Since your GPA won't be your selling point, you'll also have to build your resume up to be competitive. I'm not super familiar with the course but any experience that proves your worth will help.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wish I knew 3 years ago that I want to join the Navy NuPoc program. It would have saved me from having to work so much since I would have joined then. All my trouble started when I lost my scholarship due to budget cuts. I had a 3.8 GPA at the end of my second year.
That's gotta' count for something.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
That's gotta' count for something.
Thats what Im hoping for. Gpa aside, I do have a fairly decent resume with multiple engineering competitions, years of lab experience, research experience, and field experience.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Is your GPA just for technical courses higher than a 3.0?

This is the minimum to apply:
"Education
Candidates must be graduates or students of an accredited college or university in the United States or in a United States territory pursuing a BS or MS (majoring in mathematics, engineering, physics, chemistry or other technical areas). Those still in school may apply as early as their junior year of college and must have:

Completed one academic year of calculus
Completed one academic year of calculus-based physics
A competitive GPA and a minimum grade of “B” in all technical courses"

So if you apply with your current 2.7 GPA you will receive a rejection letter. They probably won't even let you submit the application. Have you spoken to a recruiter yet? They will most likely tell you the same thing.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Man at least your going somewhere. I just don't have the drive that a lot of people do to go for it in school. I can barely take three classes at a time while working part time. Not because I work too much but because homework is my main weakness in life. I'll never get a bachelors degree but I'm very slowly working for an associates in fire technology right now. Maybe once I finish I'll have more drive.

I have been looking into the military lately but I'm worried I don't have enough mental drive yet.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
Is your GPA just for technical courses higher than a 3.0?

This is the minimum to apply:
"Education
Candidates must be graduates or students of an accredited college or university in the United States or in a United States territory pursuing a BS or MS (majoring in mathematics, engineering, physics, chemistry or other technical areas). Those still in school may apply as early as their junior year of college and must have:

Completed one academic year of calculus
Completed one academic year of calculus-based physics
A competitive GPA and a minimum grade of “B” in all technical courses"

So if you apply with your current 2.7 GPA you will receive a rejection letter. They probably won't even let you submit the application. Have you spoken to a recruiter yet? They will most likely tell you the same thing.
x2, my roomate recently got accepted into the program, he's currently a grad student but they were extremely strict and followed their guidelines throughout his application and interviewing process. Heck he studied for a good 3 months before his technical interview and this dude is a freakin' genius. I have a lot of respect for anyone that can get through it.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #11

My major classes and technical classes are def. above a 3.0 GPA. My breadth classes, like anthropology and ethnicity are what brought my Gpa. It was pick your poision since my time was short on studying.

I have talked to a recruiter and they said convey the fact that I had limited study time for studying, but still worked my ass off.

I do have a few friends in the program, but they've been in it since the beginning of their second year. Im trying to join at the end of my fifth so I'm worried about my chances.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #12

I dropped of my paper work last friday. Now its to play the waiting game if I get a yay or nay. Wish me luck!