Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Army, Marines cancel Tuition Assistance programs

Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
yup, the TA and GI bill were the only reason I was in the Airforce
At least they haven't taken away the G.I Bill! Our Chief is crazy about making people get their CCAF. He expects me to have already gotten started on it while I'm studying for my training that starts in June. He expects all NCO's to already have it any all SrA to be done or nearly done...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yup, the TA and GI bill were the only reason I was in the Airforce

X2, I also joined for the Medical benefits which looks like they could be "a changing" as well... (sorry to stray off topic).
Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
This makes me sick. There tons of other ways to help fix the economy, rather than taking benefits away from those who serve our country.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #24
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Operation Red Dawn time?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #25
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
So preserve the defense contractor pork, but cut tuition assistance for your troops. And people think there's no class division in this country.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #26
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
it's sad that politicians are included in the CoC in a way that complaints can just be pushed aside like a dick LT telling a pfc to "suck it up"
Old 03-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #27
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Saw this the other day, and then the thing with the immigrants. I'm truly at a loss for words, and don't know what to say. Sad that's how our military men and women are treated.
:shakesheadslowlyindiscust:
Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #28
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
This is only for Active Duty members, yes? Vets can still go to school in the GI Bill after they get out? I'm not saying it's okay by any means, I'm just clarifying.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #29
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
This is only for Active Duty members, yes? Vets can still go to school in the GI Bill after they get out? I'm not saying it's okay by any means, I'm just clarifying.
as of right now that is correct. TA does not equal gi bill
Old 03-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #30
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
as of now ha hope it lasts two or three more years at least . . . Lord knows I can't afford it.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #31
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
I have a different view as to why this might be happening. The military is continuing to downsize, and what better way to get people to be less inclined to stay in by cutting benefits. I know the Air Force is usually always cutting down about 3,000 people a year, and the Army and Marines combined are supposed to be cutting 100,000 in the next 5 years or so. The US government is way beyond bankrupt, just wait until the real cuts start happening.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #32
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.hampton View Post
I found out this morning that the air force fell in line with the cuts. They still expect us to go to school and further our education though. Tell me how that works.
Just like other folks do all the time. There is a serious discrepancy in parity w/ civilians, so something likely had to give w/ military benefits. Is this drastic...Yeah and unpleasant too, but there are still ways to get education - GI Bill, FAFSA, loans - just like the average joe does.
This isn't a pay cut, this is a reduction of extra money available...It's not the end of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Makes complete sense to do at a time like this, right? Stuff like this is making me lose faith in this country more and more every day...
That article is a LOT of spin. That was a decision by a STATE GOV'T about a STATE PROGRAM and does not provide them tuition assistance, but rather lets them pay in state tuition, so it doesn't really compare apples to apples.

If you want to get mad - Be mad for the right reasons: TA cost about 540Mil....Foreign aid to Egypt - 1600Mil. ANd they didn't shut off the aid to Egypt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
VA is a separate program, so GI Bill is safe at this time.

And quick reminder - This topic can be and needs to be discussed without political commentary.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #33
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Just like other folks do all the time. There is a serious discrepancy in parity w/ civilians, so something likely had to give w/ military benefits. Is this drastic...Yeah and unpleasant too, but there are still ways to get education - GI Bill, FAFSA, loans - just like the average joe does.
This isn't a pay cut, this is a reduction of extra money available...It's not the end of the world.

That article is a LOT of spin. That was a decision by a STATE GOV'T about a STATE PROGRAM and does not provide them tuition assistance, but rather lets them pay in state tuition, so it doesn't really compare apples to apples.

If you want to get mad - Be mad for the right reasons: TA cost about 540Mil....Foreign aid to Egypt - 1600Mil. ANd they didn't shut off the aid to Egypt.

VA is a separate program, so GI Bill is safe at this time.

And quick reminder - This topic can be and needs to be discussed without political commentary.
The fact is that I do not want to use my G.I. Bill to pay for a degree I don't want yet have to get (CCAF). I plan to use my G.I Bill for personal education that I can actually put to use outside the military. And as for FAFSA an student loans, that defeats the whole purpose of having "benefits" in the military. I don't know about other branches, but from what I've noticed the Air Force doesn't take lightly to people being in a lot of debt. And honestly personal finances are one of the ways that the Air Force can decide to separate you...

I know it was a state decision, but it still goes to show you how priorities are going right now. Including the mentioning of aid to Egypt, I think we should be more worried about getting our country fixed before we give all our money to other countries making us more in debt.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #34
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The fact is that I do not want to use my G.I. Bill to pay for a degree I don't want yet have to get (CCAF). I plan to use my G.I Bill for personal education that I can actually put to use outside the military. And as for FAFSA an student loans, that defeats the whole purpose of having "benefits" in the military. I don't know about other branches, but from what I've noticed the Air Force doesn't take lightly to people being in a lot of debt. And honestly personal finances are one of the ways that the Air Force can decide to separate you...

I know it was a state decision, but it still goes to show you how priorities are going right now. Including the mentioning of aid to Egypt, I think we should be more worried about getting our country fixed before we give all our money to other countries making us more in debt.
I don't know anything about the CCAF program, but if it is honestly 100% required as a condition of employment in the AF-Then I agree with you-You should not be forced to expend your own money to complete that.
If you are getting a CCAF degree just to have a degree, then that was poorly informed decision making.

To suggest the AF would try to separate you over student loans is a ridiculous argument. Military folks buy and sell houses and cars on credit and don't get booted. If you don't manage and pay your debts-Thats what will get you in hot water.

And STATE and FEDERAL priorities are different things. If you look at Colorado or you look at Oklahoma-Two very different pictures. There are real problems at the federal level...There is no need to extrapolate 1/2 truths to make the situation bad.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #35
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I don't know anything about the CCAF program, but if it is honestly 100% required as a condition of employment in the AF-Then I agree with you-You should not be forced to expend your own money to complete that.
If you are getting a CCAF degree just to have a degree, then that was poorly informed decision making.

To suggest the AF would try to separate you over student loans is a ridiculous argument. Military folks buy and sell houses and cars on credit and don't get booted. If you don't manage and pay your debts-Thats what will get you in hot water.

And STATE and FEDERAL priorities are different things. If you look at Colorado or you look at Oklahoma-Two very different pictures. There are real problems at the federal level...There is no need to extrapolate 1/2 truths to make the situation bad.
The CCAF is simply an AS degree in a program close to your duty. They are not a mandatory things to stay employed in the AF, but is a factor in making above E-8, IIRC.

GI Bill, CLEP, and DANTES testing can all be used to get the CCAF and other degrees/certificates. I only had to take one class to get my CCAF degree when I was active duty and that was only because I failed speech by 3 points and was nearing separation. All other credits were from basic, tech school, and 6 CLEPs.

Quote:

Read above for my notes to Brunes, also you can use the CCAF outside of the AF. I transferred my CCAF into an outside university through the AU-ABC program that made it to where I only needed 20 classes to get my bachelors.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #36
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

No one can MAKE you take college courses or use your GI bill.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #37
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
The CCAF is simply an AS degree in a program close to your duty. They are not a mandatory things to stay employed in the AF, but is a factor in making above E-8, IIRC.

GI Bill, CLEP, and DANTES testing can all be used to get the CCAF and other degrees/certificates. I only had to take one class to get my CCAF degree when I was active duty and that was only because I failed speech by 3 points and was nearing separation. All other credits were from basic, tech school, and 6 CLEPs.

Read above for my notes to Brunes, also you can use the CCAF outside of the AF. I transferred my CCAF into an outside university through the AU-ABC program that made it to where I only needed 20 classes to get my bachelors.
That is what I figured about CCAF-
Post Graduate education is de facto necessary by the O4/O5 level too but not an actual requirement, and it's not guaranteed to be paid by the service.

Don't get me wrong-Losing TA sucks. I haven't been at a unit/job where I was allowed to use TA since 2008.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #38

Quote:
No one can MAKE you take college courses or use your GI bill.
I know this, but with my Commander and Chief it's pretty much an unwritten rule with them that you have to get your CCAF as soon as you can.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #39
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know this, but with my Commander and Chief it's pretty much an unwritten rule with them that you have to get your CCAF as soon as you can.
It's all about career progression and looking better than others when you go up for BTZ, AOQ/AOY boards, etc. Find out the minimum classes you need to get your CCAF from the Ed. office and go take the CLEPs. Doesn't cost anything and you dont have to sit in classes.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #40
tpejza is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Electronics Technician 1st Class
Name: Tim
tpejza's Tacoma Gallery
This is unfortunate. I've been using TA for quite some time. I just applied for the GI Bill benefits so I can continue. Hopefully this is just temporary.