Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Army, Marines cancel Tuition Assistance programs

Old 03-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #41
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
This sucks and honestly the budget is easy to balance get rid of all the crap that is not needed in it
You are hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
So preserve the defense contractor pork, but cut tuition assistance for your troops. And people think there's no class division in this country.
I'm gonna stay out of the politics for obvious reasons, but yes, there's class division. That in and of itself isn't a problem. People will always be different classes because some are more motivated, gifted, and capable than others.

This is where things turn into, essentially, a moral debate. I can't really say I agree with the philosophical position that there shouldn't be classes. The question is whether or not everyone's playing by the same rules...the affluent, at this point in American history, certainly aren't. They've bought the referees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaEcho2k5 View Post
X2, I also joined for the Medical benefits which looks like they could be "a changing" as well... (sorry to stray off topic).
Just like Brunes mentioned, the military has been way ahead of civilian work with benefits for a LONG time. Tuition Assistance barely exists at all in the civilian world any more. Same for pensions and pension medical coverage. And medical benefits for the currently employed get worse all the time.

I'm not saying those in the service don't deserve good benefits. What I'm saying is you can use the civilian sector as a barometer of what's going to happen to you 5 to 10 years from now.

Retiring at 38 with pension, full medical coverage, veteran discounts, GI Bill benefits, USAA, and a lot of other perks is a sweetass deal. And I think it's justified considering you are literally putting your life in the line with military service, and that military service is often very hard on and injurious to the body.

Here's the thing though: If those benefits get too far out of line with the civilian world, and they had, there's gonna be some kind of corrective adjustment.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #42
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
So people don't join to serve our country ? It's all about medical and tuitions ?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #43
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
So people don't join to serve our country ? It's all about medical and tuitions ?
I'd prefer to think of it as people join to serve our country, and since they are entering employment that requires sacrifice of much of their youth, health, and possibly life, they deserve pretty sweet benefits.

"Pretty sweet" is still defined in comparison to the rest of us though.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #44
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pogs, or grunts?

They're all duped anyway. Country doesn't care about em. Wait till they get out and get five years of free neglect/healthcare.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #45
05TacoSr5 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 2T071 Traffic Management Craftsman
Name: Josh
05TacoSr5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
I know this, but with my Commander and Chief it's pretty much an unwritten rule with them that you have to get your CCAF as soon as you can.
That's the unwritten rule Air Force wide. I'm on my last class for my CCAF. Then I'm going to move onto SEJPME, then Course 14 after NCOA. I want to make sure that any EPR I have as a MSgt, I'll have a chance at getting Sr. Rater Endorsement. I didn't start taking school seriously until all these force management programs started kickin' in hardcore. The good 'ole days are over.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #46
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoSr5 View Post
That's the unwritten rule Air Force wide. I'm on my last class for my CCAF. Then I'm going to move onto SEJPME, then Course 14 after NCOA. I want to make sure that any EPR I have as a MSgt, I'll have a chance at getting Sr. Rater Endorsement. I didn't start taking school seriously until all these force management programs started kickin' in hardcore. The good 'ole days are over.
Exactly, now it's all about training for stuff that won't happen and taking classes every day! Haha I work with retired military and they never got any type of degree while they were in.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #47
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
For a lot of Jobs it is literally impossible to get any kind of degree while you're in. You just have to wait until you're out to take classes. I wish I could have taken advantage of that option but it just wasn't possible.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #48
Hoist Rider
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Good luck on your last class. I just started getting serious last year, CLEPS and a couple classes on AMU, I'm down to 3 electives and Math.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
For a lot of Jobs it is literally impossible to get any kind of degree while you're in. You just have to wait until you're out to take classes. I wish I could have taken advantage of that option but it just wasn't possible.
That I can attest to because I didn't start having time for school until I got into unit where the military is the minority and I don't have people to rate on.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaEcho2k5 View Post
Good luck on your last class. I just started getting serious last year, CLEPS and a couple classes on AMU, I'm down to 3 electives and Math.
AMU is the shizz
Old 03-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Exactly, now it's all about training for stuff that won't happen and taking classes every day! Haha I work with retired military and they never got any type of degree while they were in.
I don't know what your job is but, just finish Speech, English, Math, Soc, Humanities and the rest will fall into place. You get credits for ALS and 7 level residency. Then look into AU-ABC, I don't have any insight on the new PME procedures so I can't help you there.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #53
Hoist Rider
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I had a retired CMSgt told us at Airman Leadership School a few years back say "It's not important why you decided to serve, rather THAT you decided to serve", it's kind of stuck with me.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #54
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
SEJPME is a joke, but for guard it is nice when going for SMSgt. Hoping to get MSgt this fall when my boss retires. 9 3/4 year MSgt.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #55
raybin is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Pilot
raybin's Tacoma Gallery
Air Force has canceled as well
Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #56
lockwire24 is on a distinguished road

Navy: GSM2
Name: Mark
lockwire24's Tacoma Gallery
I just got word today Navy gave up and not to expect to get it back until maybe beginning of fiscal year. And on top of that the civilians that work here will not be working on fridays.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #57
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
S does this cover VA stuff too?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #59
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, just wondered if they were cutting their things like GI Bills and such.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #60
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
Yea, just wondered if they were cutting their things like GI Bills and such.
GI Bills are still a go, even for active duty. this is just a suspension of 100% TA benefits.