Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Just got Sworn into the Military

Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Just got Sworn into the Military

As of yesterday, I'm officially a solider for the US Army National Guard.

I took the ASVAB for the first time yesterday and made a 90, apparently its a good score. lol

For my MOS i chose Infantry. Why? I want to get the Montgomery GI bill for my future little ones and it was the only MOS i could get the Basic + AIT (14 weeks) done in time to get back to Clemson in the fall for college. I joined the ARMY ROTC at my college as well, so i'll be commissioned as an officer when i graduate. I plan on going national guard full time though so the schloarship im applying for will pay for all of my tuition and fees so the LIFE scholarship i earned (2.5K/Semester) will go directly to my pocket, freakin sweet because the first year of college almost took all my moneies and my bank account will be relieved to see it. lol

Just wanted to let my TW brothers/sisters know as well as meet the Military members of TW as well!

After basic+AIT im going to change my MOS to Counterintelligence as i have a high enough score to get that job.

Just another step on my journey on becoming an FBI agent in the future.

My summer vacation is now non existent and will be spent over in GA at Fort Ben.

Of course once i receive all my other benefits that come with the scholarship(stipend, drill pay ect). ill store some money away and resume my build.

Ship date: 05/01/13
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, basic plus ait is not that important. Take to counter intel mos now while you can, I will be harder to change after you're in. AIT is just gonna teach you more MOS related jobs that you will be doing for infantry. Going through that ThEN changing is kinda pointless not to mention the difficulties with changing. Getting out of infantry will be like pulling teeth cause everybody wants to get out of when they find out how much time they spend in field training. Plus, my opinion witb ifantry is it is almost usleless in civilian life. Like when you get out of the Army, how many companies will be hiring trained killers?...... Thats food for thought there. I strongly recommend, if you are able, change that MOS now rather than later.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
Dude, basic plus ait is not that important. Take to counter intel mos now while you can, I will be harder to change after you're in. AIT is just gonna teach you more MOS related jobs that you will be doing for infantry. Going through that ThEN changing is kinda pointless not to mention the difficulties with changing. Getting out of infantry will be like pulling teeth cause everybody wants to get out of when they find out how much time they spend in field training. Plus, my opinion witb ifantry is it is almost usleless in civilian life. Like when you get out of the Army, how many companies will be hiring trained killers?...... Thats food for thought there. I strongly recommend, if you are able, change that MOS now rather than later.

OMG that looks like I drank way too much...... I hate this phone and keyboard, my last phone was much better than this one.......
Old 04-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Cool man congratulations! Thank You!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh
mountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cory
mountainman94's Tacoma Gallery
That's awesome! Thank you, and the best of luck to you wherever you end up.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2. Take this advice if you want as it's only an opinion but I'm US Army retired as of 2006. I was infantry and it's very hard to change once you are locked in.....that does not just apply to 11B. You may be able to do it once you reach the "Captains career course". To change MOS's you will have to go back to an MOSQ. All this info is out there, look it up...your recruiter is feeding you bullshit to make his number. On a diff note... THANK YOU for the service/ journey you are about to embark on... Good Luck, Congrats.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I would take the counter-intel MOS but there were no more spots left. I Had the option to wait till next summer but i've got plans for an internship next summer. I had just 15 weeks(summer vacation) till school started back up. I wanted to pick something that i could do in a summer and finish completely to put myself better off. I'm still in college and with college starting back up in the fall, i'll be going a weekend a month to drill. I can change MOS as long as there's a spot, and I dont receive a bonus for doing my particular MOS, which getting a bonus for infantry is little to none chance. I dont plan on leaving the guard until i get my 20 years. I'll relocate to different parts of this country if i have to, its not that i made this decision in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco47001 View Post
x2. Take this advice if you want as it's only an opinion but I'm US Army retired as of 2006. I was infantry and it's very hard to change once you are locked in.....that does not just apply to 11B. You may be able to do it once you reach the "Captains career course". To change MOS's you will have to go back to an MOSQ. All this info is out there, look it up...your recruiter is feeding you bullshit to make his number. On a diff note... THANK YOU for the service/ journey you are about to embark on... Good Luck, Congrats.
When i get commissioned as an officer, i'll be able to pick a different MOS if i haven't already switched. I'll have to go to AIT again next summer if i have too, but thats more experiences, and money for me. No problems there.

Appreciate the input fellas, i appreciate the input and welcome more.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah man, get a good job going in, don't try to switch. It's possible but a pain in the dick. Try uav operator! Bank on the outside, especially when they open up the national airspace.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats! But you should have initially took the counterintelligence Job. You can always start school in the spring semester and still do ROTC. Are you under SMP for ROTC? I have a couple of guard cadets in ROTC with me now who are under the SMP. Don't plan on going full time guard as a 2LT. Those slots are very hard to come by, if they're even available.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTaco386 View Post
Congrats! But you should have initially took the counterintelligence Job. You can always start school in the spring semester and still do ROTC. Are you under SMP for ROTC? I have a couple of guard cadets in ROTC with me now who are under the SMP. Don't plan on going full time guard as a 2LT. Those slots are very hard to come by, if they're even available.
I could start school in the spring.. but i want to graduate and get my school done as soon as possible. I will SMP for ROTC when i get back from basic.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on what everyone said. But it is your journey and you will find a way to get were you want to be.

Good Luck and Thank you!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
How do you know you wont be deployed when that internship is suppose to start?

Also I would agree with everyone else in getting the job you want from the start. The recruiter will try and say that you cant change and all that but untill you get on the last bus the basic you can still change jobs.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
How do you know you wont be deployed when that internship is suppose to start?

Also I would agree with everyone else in getting the job you want from the start. The recruiter will try and say that you cant change and all that but untill you get on the last bus the basic you can still change jobs.
SMP with the College ROTC program, tied down with them till my school is over.

I am in college currently and until my contract with Clemson's Army ROTC program expires, which will be when my college life is over.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats Cam.

I'd take the word of some of the veterans here, before a recruiter. Unless you see it in black and white, it was never said.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Congrats Cam.

I'd take the word of some of the veterans here, before a recruiter. Unless you see it in black and white, it was never said.
Thanks Miss Susan

I am, believe me, im speaking with my recruiter as we speak.

.-. Just more things that life throws at me.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Congrats Cam.

This is the most true statement EVER written in the history of all writing...when it comes to the military.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
It's not too late, you haven't left for basic yet, tell them you're not going to basic unless you can talk to meps about the job you would rather have (if there is another job you think you may be more interested in) they will let you go back, it's there job. You're supposedly not officially in until you arriveat basic training. Also, don't count ongoing straight from basic to infantry school immediately, the arms loves putting people on "hold" where you just sit for weeks and wait for a class
Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
Newborn

I'm just speaking with my detective (He's an O-5) USAR, and he was nat'l guard too. He said the SMP program is 2-3 times harder than just straight ROTC and getting commisioined as active for a couple years. Just an option.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
johnnychimpo711 is on a distinguished road
Army:
johnnychimpo711's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats

Hey ChamYota,
First off, congratulations. You just got your foot in the door to a great career opportunity. I wish you luck during your OSUT to become an infantryman. I'm not quite sure how the National Guard works, because I'm active, but I know you should be able to direct commission after you complete your degree at Clemson. I'm not sure exactly HOW all that works, (nor do I claim to be an expert) but you might want to talk to your Commander on the ground there if you have any questions. I looked into going commissioned, but went Warrant instead (silent professionals).
I hope you have done your homework and get everything you want out of the green machine. I've been at it for 10 years, looking forward to 15+ more, and don't regret a minute of it. It's can be a very rewarding career, but it is what you make of it. Best wishes, and congratulations!

Ryan