LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

suppressors in the military?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #21
dcmehlhoff is on a distinguished road
dcmehlhoff's Tacoma Gallery
When I was in the marines my unit had them. It was really nice to have because you could communicate better while firing your gun. But they are really not as silent as video games or footage make them seem. You can still hear them from a ways off, but it was harder to determine the point of origin especially since the flash was reduced to pretty much nil. As far as a tactical stand point the round technically doesn't arch as much when fired from a gun at close range so you didn't have to offset as much on close targets, but it really didn't matter as long as your zeroed you gun properly and were efficient with your weapon. Because of this, the max effective range on your weapon will also be shortened. On the M4 it was 50 meters. When it came to machine-guns I am unsure, but the sniper rifle you definitely had to have two different "dopes" for your gun. One dope would be for the suppresor the other for it not being equiped.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmehlhoff View Post
When I was in the marines my unit had them. It was really nice to have because you could communicate better while firing your gun. But they are really not as silent as video games or footage make them seem. You can still hear them from a ways off, but it was harder to determine the point of origin especially since the flash was reduced to pretty much nil. As far as a tactical stand point the round technically doesn't arch as much when fired from a gun at close range so you didn't have to offset as much on close targets, but it really didn't matter as long as your zeroed you gun properly and were efficient with your weapon. Because of this, the max effective range on your weapon will also be shortened. On the M4 it was 50 meters. When it came to machine-guns I am unsure, but the sniper rifle you definitely had to have two different "dopes" for your gun. One dope would be for the suppresor the other for it not being equiped.
Thank you for the info, i didn't know about the arc arc difference up close.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Thank you for the info, i didn't know about the arc arc difference up close.

Bullets fly in an arc. You have a sight path and a flight path. Sight path is a straight line between your sighting system and your target. The bullet will travel up in the arc before starting its descent. Therefore the closer your target the less of an arc the bullet will travel in. The further out you go the more you will have aim up thus making the bullet travel in an increased arc.
Do a lot of homework on suppressors. I thought you had to be 21 to get a license for one. It was that way in my old state. I think they are a little over rated too. They will decrease the accuracy of your weapon as well. I know my DM gun was spread out about 1.5MOA with a suppressor on it.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #24
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
Bullets fly in an arc. You have a sight path and a flight path. Sight path is a straight line between your sighting system and your target. The bullet will travel up in the arc before starting its descent. Therefore the closer your target the less of an arc the bullet will travel in. The further out you go the more you will have aim up thus making the bullet travel in an increased arc.
Do a lot of homework on suppressors. I thought you had to be 21 to get a license for one. It was that way in my old state. I think they are a little over rated too. They will decrease the accuracy of your weapon as well. I know my DM gun was spread out about 1.5MOA with a suppressor on it.
thanks for the lesson.

i've been doing a little bit of homework over the last 4 months, but just lately have i been collecting my own info from different websites, you do have to be 21 to buy, but there is a exception written in the law that i can build a SBR or suppressor (Form 1) when i'm 18. (verified by emailing the ATF).

All i need to be able to do is hit a 6'' plate at 150 yards, but i didn't know they affected accuracy that bad.

Also, thank you for your service
Old 05-26-2013, 03:54 AM   #25
I like turtlessss
cflks411 is on a distinguished road

Army: 1st Cav
Name: Kris
cflks411's Tacoma Gallery
The SF team we were with had suppressors, they had lots of cool toys. In a firefight, there is no need for them honestly in my opinion. The enemy knows where you are obviously lol, concealing your rifles noise is pointless at that point. Now in a night raid or anything "quiet" yea...but carrying them on patrol, eh not needed. Theyre nifty though, make your rifle look high speed.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #26
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
funny thing about military and some of the gear, parts, and labor we use.

roughly every military installation has a machine shop. we could make many of our own parts, to include suppressors, but opt to pay an increased price for these things. we pay civilian guards to work as security on the base when we have our own. there is really no reason every weapon couldn't have one available. they are practical in some situations, and in others they just look cool with no real value add. my personal opinion.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #27
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
As a person who has fired far too many rounds .45acp to .30-06 without hearing protection... There are few situations that a silencer would be useless except when concealment or long-range accuracy are concerns.

Eyes and ears simply were not used 40 years ago.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #28
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
funny thing about military and some of the gear, parts, and labor we use.

roughly every military installation has a machine shop. we could make many of our own parts, to include suppressors, but opt to pay an increased price for these things. we pay civilian guards to work as security on the base when we have our own. there is really no reason every weapon couldn't have one available. they are practical in some situations, and in others they just look cool with no real value add. my personal opinion.
Speak for yourself Air Force haha some branches have a much smaller budget

We just get hand-me-down junk from the Army haha
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #29
For Love of Truck
Soft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to all

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Tyler
Soft Taco's Tacoma Gallery
They were passed out to my guys last deployment. Everyone at first was like "badass!"Shortly to follow, they were just a joke. The surefires we got MAYBE reduced sound by 15%. MAYBE. Still rang the ears LOL. They were pinned onto the barrel as well so temporarily permanent. Everyone HATED them. They added 8 inches or so to the M4 making it impractical to get in and out of a truck in a combat situation. They had ONE advantage. They looked badass in FB pictures. I was lucky enough to be on R&R when they got forced on my unit. In summary, pointless to our operations.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #30
andrew7940 is on a distinguished road
Army: Infantry
Name: Andrew
andrew7940's Tacoma Gallery
Pointless unless you are doing night raids, or maybe some sort of recon. other than that there is no point to having them in a combat role, at least for conventional infantry. We have a hard enough time getting the things we need to fight, i.e. mags, slings, etc. without buying them ourselves and for the lower enlisted that gets expensive.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #31
For Love of Truck
Soft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew7940 View Post
Pointless unless you are doing night raids, or maybe some sort of recon. other than that there is no point to having them in a combat role, at least for conventional infantry. We have a hard enough time getting the things we need to fight, i.e. mags, slings, etc. without buying them ourselves and for the lower enlisted that gets expensive.
You have had to pay for mags...?? Are you NG?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #32
Dental Floss Tycoon
swamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TACP
swamppirate's Tacoma Gallery
Suppressors are usually mission dependent. For example conducting "snatch and grabs" or other "low profile" missions..... etc...etc...
Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #33
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew7940 View Post
Apparently, not all bases/branches have that problem....
http://news.yahoo.com/marines-sailor...FRrg8ATz_QtDMD
Old 06-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #34
For Love of Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Apparently, not all bases/branches have that problem....
http://news.yahoo.com/marines-sailor...FRrg8ATz_QtDMD

^lol
Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #35
No active duty. Came down to a budget issue and with no deployment orders, my unit was not a priority, although we were deploying in a couple months.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #36
I should specify, active duty infantry as well.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #37
S13chris is on a distinguished road

Marines: Recon
Name: Chris
S13chris's Tacoma Gallery
We all have suppressors, they are right it's a lot easier to communicate, but also it's harder for the enemy to pinpoint your location when you get in a tic. Down falls are makes weapon longer and a little heaver and you have an offset when engaging targets. Imo I would most times carry it