1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Different ways to retire from the military

Discussion in 'Military' started by virginiamarine, May 23, 2013.

1. May 23, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    virginiamarine

virginiamarine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    FJCruiser/Double cab Tacoma
    Just throwing this out there for those who are in the military and are either near the hump, over the hump, or just planning to go the whole distance. I'm retired from the Marine Corps after 20 years and honestly never planned to retire from the military....it just happened to work out that way. So let's talk about ways to retire.

Option 1. You can retire after serving 20 or more active duty years (satisfactory years) in any branch.
    The benefit of this is that you receive retirement pay immediately (some percentage as it seems to be going lower of your base pay (estimated on points)) and medical benefits immediately.

Option 2. You can retire after serving 20 or more reserve years (satisfactory years of at least 50 points each year) in any branch.
    The benefit is you receive retirement pay when you turn 60 and medical benefits then. (retirement pay is based on how many points you have).

Option 3. You can retire if you suffer in the line of duty a major medical injury. I'm uncertain of the benefits, so I won't guesstimate.

If you know of more ways or specific details on the pros/cons of benefits, pleas post up and I'll edit this as a "go to" page.

Products Discussed in

To Top