Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

No more base stickers for vehicles! WTF?

Old 06-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
DocBlieb is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Logan
DocBlieb's Tacoma Gallery
Norfolk is getting rid of them 01JUL13. I dont know how they are going to tell POV apart, maybe paper tag on the review mirror??
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 BLACK FJ View Post
we got an email a few weeks ago for the same thing no more decals, now is that across the board for motorcycles also? Im at Miami Beach in the CG
Yes-No mo decals for anyone, but you do need to carry your motorcycle endorsed license, insurance, and your MSF training card, dated within the last 5 years. If you get stopped for something else, or chosen for a random "admin inspection" - You'll need to be able to supply all those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBlieb View Post
Norfolk is getting rid of them 01JUL13. I dont know how they are going to tell POV apart, maybe paper tag on the review mirror??
Apart from what?? You either have an ID that allows you access to the base, and what vehicle you drive doesn't really matter (as long as it's legal and proper) or you don't and you'll still need a sponsor and/or visitor pass.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
DocBlieb is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Logan
DocBlieb's Tacoma Gallery
Apart from what?? You either have an ID that allows you access to the base, and what vehicle you drive doesn't really matter (as long as it's legal and proper) or you don't and you'll still need a sponsor and/or visitor pass.[/QUOTE]

You register your vehicle for security reasons to see if it is leag and so it can identify people on base who illegally park, cause damage, or are in question of why they are there. other than that, i have no idea why you need one.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBlieb View Post
You register your vehicle for security reasons to see if it is leag and so it can identify people on base who illegally park, cause damage, or are in question of why they are there. other than that, i have no idea why you need one.
The military has no business wasting taxpayers money to ensure military members keep their vehicles registered and insured when all states have DMV's that have the same responsibility. It's redundant and wasteful. License plates are just as effective, if not more, at identifying owners of vehicles involved in suspected wrongdoing.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #25
m1k3gentile is on a distinguished road
Navy: AM
Name: Mike
m1k3gentile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004TacomaNavy View Post
I'm in the Navy up here in the PACNORWEST, NAS Whidbey Island. I just heard that starting in a couple days from now, no more base stickers will be issued to military personnel due to the cost. I knew we were broke but DAMN!
Yea dude I've been here on NAS Whidbey for 2 month now and I've had a peace of paper chillen on my dash!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #26
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
The military has no business wasting taxpayers money to ensure military members keep their vehicles registered and insured when all states have DMV's that have the same responsibility. It's redundant and wasteful. License plates are just as effective, if not more, at identifying owners of vehicles involved in suspected wrongdoing.
You will still need to have all the paperwork that the state your ride is registered in requires. Not to mention the penchant for gate guards/pass and tag contractors to make up requirements and/or be generally disagreeable.
Mr Brown nailed it - Your responsibility as an adult doesn't need to be monitored at the cost of millions of dollars. Cause damage or park where you don't belong and there are ways to deal with that, just like any other parking lot.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #27
07 BLACK FJ is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Bryan
07 BLACK FJ's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Brunes;7098243]Yes-No mo decals for anyone, but you do need to carry your motorcycle endorsed license, insurance, and your MSF training card, dated within the last 5 years. If you get stopped for something else, or chosen for a random "admin inspection" - You'll need to be able to supply all those things.

i actually just retook by MSF training class due to it was "expired" according to 'ol uncle sam. But yes i have all that, just dont want to put that stupid sticker on my harley to just not need it in a few months ya kno.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=07 BLACK FJ;7099210]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Yes-No mo decals for anyone, but you do need to carry your motorcycle endorsed license, insurance, and your MSF training card, dated within the last 5 years. If you get stopped for something else, or chosen for a random "admin inspection" - You'll need to be able to supply all those things.

i actually just retook by MSF training class due to it was "expired" according to 'ol uncle sam. But yes i have all that, just dont want to put that stupid sticker on my harley to just not need it in a few months ya kno.
Get a temp pass. All navy bases should have them and the decal office should be able to write them for 30 days at a time.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #29
virginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired SNCO
virginiamarine's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on the installation Commander/CO/Big Cheese....some of the bases are still handing them out based on their own reasoning. But, I do admit that I miss not having a sticker on the windshield for easy identification as being a military member. It makes getting out of a traffic ticket easier!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #30
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
That went out years ago in the Air Force, some time after 9/11. The main reasoning was not to flag your vehicle as a U.S. military member when off base. Kind of like not travelling in uniform on the airlines, etc.

They access the state tag registrations for issuing parking tickets and such and now you have to go pay any speeding tickets at the nearest Federal court. (As opposed to the supervisor issued hand slap they used to give you.)
Old 07-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #31
EODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Explosive Ordnanace Disposal
Name: Dave
EODTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Last base sticker I got was 7 years ago.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
Mr. Boombastic
TacoIII will become famous soon enoughTacoIII will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Security forces
Name: Andrew
TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
That went out years ago in the Air Force, some time after 9/11. The main reasoning was not to flag your vehicle as a U.S. military member when off base. Kind of like not travelling in uniform on the airlines, etc.

They access the state tag registrations for issuing parking tickets and such and now you have to go pay any speeding tickets at the nearest Federal court. (As opposed to the supervisor issued hand slap they used to give you.)
This is what I was thinking! Also anyone could be driving a vehicle, they want to check photo ID.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #33
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Scraped my stickers off yesterday...FINALLY!!! Hated those things.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #34
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Now they just do more "random" vehicle inspections in order to check registration and insurance. And conveniently, they do these at 1500 as EVERYONE is getting off work. They block the road, set up some cones, and check everyone's as they roll through trying to get off base.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #35
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
it's a good thing they're phasing it out. mines expires this month. no more standing in line just to get a sticker.

plus the whole OPSEC thing. there was a time where a lot of military POV's where being broken into, and CIF items would be stolen.