Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Enlisting in Air Force have a few Questions??

Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #61
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
RUN AND RUN FAST
Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #62
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
It's like I told my brother when he was thinking of joining the Marines after I finished:

1. Don't believe anything the recruiter tells you, find out for yourself.

2. If you're going to do it, do it all the way. Don't be a slacker.

3. You won't escape peer pressure. Don't give in to it here either.

4. Stay in shape. The fit get promoted faster.

Though I am not sure how the air force feels about that last one.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #63
Old Crow is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AZANG
Name: Ron
Old Crow's Tacoma Gallery
Believe me, the AF has Marine envy and is on a big fitness freak out. There are some buffaloes left, but they're thinning the heard. Members of the Pork Chop Platoon don't get promoted even if they manage to stay in.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #64
andrewribicki is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Enlisted
Name: Andrew
andrewribicki's Tacoma Gallery
Yea as stated above, follow what you would like to do. Don't go into something not knowing if you will like being in that field. (Mechanical, Electrical, General, Admin) I enlisted into the DEP Last year in June. I received my job about 2 weeks later as an E&E (Aircraft Electrical and Environmental Systems). Since you have been DEP in take advantage of choosing what you want to do, don't settle for a job you may hate. In the long run you get the same amount of cash. Cash isn't everything, also I would look into what transfers to the civilian workforce so when you get out, you have a better chance of getting a job. Like my recruiter told me, if your skeptical about the job you have, its probably not the right job for you. Good Luck, hope this helps. As for when you get your job, you should have a DEP call every month and when the job drop comes, you may be assigned to a job.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #65
andrewribicki is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Enlisted
Name: Andrew
andrewribicki's Tacoma Gallery
Get used to hurry up and wait, nothing ever processes fast. I leave Aug 13 for basic, and things are still on everyone else's time.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #66
Old Crow is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AZANG
Name: Ron
Old Crow's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing says WTF like double timing to the chow hall to stand in line for a half hour or so sweating your balls off. Good times!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #67
Working at the Nauga Ranch (Not for long)
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Wait for something you're interested in, possibly something that can crossover to the civilian side. Anyway employers like military people (we take orders well). You also find that employers promote military (we can give orders, also known as leadership). I don't know if you want to make it a career, when I was in, the AF wanted you in shape, but brains were more important. So if you want to get promoted: study, study, study!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #68
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewribicki View Post
Get used to hurry up and wait, nothing ever processes fast. I leave Aug 13 for basic, and things are still on everyone else's time.
Nah, once you become MSgt it the wait starts to go away, if you can last that long haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
Wait for something you're interested in, possibly something that can crossover to the civilian side. Anyway employers like military people (we take orders well). You also find that employers promote military (we can give orders, also known as leadership). I don't know if you want to make it a career, when I was in, the AF wanted you in shape, but brains were more important. So if you want to get promoted: study, study, study!
x2 on ALL of this!

I had no idea what they filled out for me for my job choices. I was lucky enough to get a great job that I love and transfers very well into the civilian side.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #69
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Keep school up while your in. Im still pursuing my mechanical engineering degree, along with ancillary schooling (welding, metal fab, CNC, lathe work, ect)

When i do walk away, i'll have the military in 1 hand, and education with training in the other. (most mech engineers can barely sharpen a pencil, but they can design one)