Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Enlisting in Air Force have a few Questions??

Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
99nmtaco has a spectacular aura about99nmtaco has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Patrick
99nmtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Enlisting in Air Force have a few Questions??

Hi guys I'm currently going thru the process of enlisting in the USAF! I recently graduated college with a degree in architecture, which turns out is now one of the hardest jobs to find an opening in due to the economy. After high school I thought about enlisting but decided to go the college route instead. After thinking long and hard I decided to enlist and am super excited about it! I've already done my asvab and will be going to MEPS next week. I just had a few questions about jobs since I have to pick 9 that I would like to do. Right now I'm looking at aircraft metas tech, NDI, and unmanned aerospace sys sensor op. Anyone have any experience with any of these jobs? Any suggestions on any other jobs that are in the mechanical or electrical fields? Any advice is appreciated as this is a pretty big choice for me and my wife in our futures.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
whitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura aboutwhitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura about

whitetacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
Are you going active, reserves, or national guard?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
Be a drone pilot.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
Tycoma is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Mother F-In Crew Chief
Name: TY
Tycoma's Tacoma Gallery
Im a crew chief and I work with Metals Tech and NDI. First off I would stay away from being anything open general or mechanical, I would get a guaranteed job if you have to wait a few months do it, not worth it to get stuck with a job you dont like since it is hard to get a new one once you already have one. If I could do it again I would be Metals tech or X Ray Tech. Metals Tech is awesome they get to play with all the cool toys like welders and water jets, they pretty much make anything metal for the base and weld everything and do all the machining. STAY AWAY from jobs like mine- Fighter Crew Chief, believe me not as cool as it sounds working 12 hours while everyone else works 8 and get paid the same. Also stay away from avionics, weapons, AGE, AMMO, Sheet metal- these are all jobs that suck I know I work with them ( best job on the flight line metals tech by far.) I say X ray tech is a close second because you get all the certs for working outside of the Air Force and I know someone who does it and it may be a duller job but they get PAID, my buddy works night shift on the weekends at a hospital and makes twice as much as he does in the air force. NDI is also a good job because they are in high demand on the outside and make a lot of money. Sensor op is a good job also havent heard much about it but what i do hear is nice just got to watch out because they dont have a lot of bases they can go to, i think Beale AFB, Davis-Monthan and Nellis- not a lot. If you have any questions about other jobs I might be able to help you out just give me a PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
You just got a degree, find out about going the Officer route (if it was a 4yr degree).
Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #7
Tycoma is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Mother F-In Crew Chief
Name: TY
Tycoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
You just got a degree, find out about going the Officer route (if it was a 4yr degree).
My wife tried this and didnt get accepted, with all the budget cuts its almost impossible, almost. The Air Force is kicking just about anyone out right now for just about anything so you have to be careful if you do get in. We don't even fly that much anymore to save on that gas monies
Old 06-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #8
bigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 9SFS
Name: Jared
bigtaco06's Tacoma Gallery
x2 or 3 on trying to come as an officer. There quality of life just seems so much better than enlisted. Try to stay away from the Securtiy Forces career field and for sure the Services career field. I have been a Cop (Security Forces) for almost 3 years now, we honeslty dont do a whole lot but, when stuff happens we get really busy and fast. Stay away from sercives because you will end up in a kitchen. So x2 on stay away from Mechanical and General. Wait on something you want and don't put anything down you couldn't see your self doing. The AF has not been bad to me by any means. IF you have any further questions feel free to pm me as well.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross123 View Post
Be a drone pilot.
X2 anything with UVAs is going to be around for awhile. Better to get your foot in the door now while,you can.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #10
satcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud of
Air Force: Satellite Communications
Name: Rick
satcom221's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99nmtaco View Post
Hi guys I'm currently going thru the process of enlisting in the USAF! I recently graduated college with a degree in architecture, which turns out is now one of the hardest jobs to find an opening in due to the economy. After high school I thought about enlisting but decided to go the college route instead. After thinking long and hard I decided to enlist and am super excited about it! I've already done my asvab and will be going to MEPS next week. I just had a few questions about jobs since I have to pick 9 that I would like to do. Right now I'm looking at aircraft metas tech, NDI, and unmanned aerospace sys sensor op. Anyone have any experience with any of these jobs? Any suggestions on any other jobs that are in the mechanical or electrical fields? Any advice is appreciated as this is a pretty big choice for me and my wife in our futures.
Are you set on Enlisted over Commissioned? Enlisted would give you hands on work while the commission would give you the indepth technical knowledge and leadership control. I was an Aircraft Mechanic for 10 years active and then 12 years in satellite communications in Texas ANG. I would seriously consider Officer if you have a degree.

Best bet would be to do a search for AFI 36-2101 and look over all the job classes to get a better idea before. Recruiters generally do not lie, but don't always offer you what is best for you. If you talk to an enlisted recruiter they most likely will not even mention the 'other' side and vice versa.

Read, read, read - its your career not anyone elses, nobody has a vested intrest in yours - especially the recruiter.

You can PM me with any specific questions you have, Rick
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
bigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 9SFS
Name: Jared
bigtaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcom221 View Post
Are you set on Enlisted over Commissioned? Enlisted would give you hands on work while the commission would give you the indepth technical knowledge and leadership control. I was an Aircraft Mechanic for 10 years active and then 12 years in satellite communications in Texas ANG. I would seriously consider Officer if you have a degree.

Best bet would be to do a search for AFI 36-2101 and look over all the job classes to get a better idea before. Recruiters generally do not lie, but don't always offer you what is best for you. If you talk to an enlisted recruiter they most likely will not even mention the 'other' side and vice versa.

Read, read, read - its your career not anyone elses, nobody has a vested intrest in yours - especially the recruiter.

You can PM me with any specific questions you have, Rick
X2 I wish I could have a piece of the "otherside."
Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #12

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycoma View Post
Im a crew chief and I work with Metals Tech and NDI. First off I would stay away from being anything open general or mechanical, I would get a guaranteed job if you have to wait a few months do it, not worth it to get stuck with a job you dont like since it is hard to get a new one once you already have one. If I could do it again I would be Metals tech or X Ray Tech. Metals Tech is awesome they get to play with all the cool toys like welders and water jets, they pretty much make anything metal for the base and weld everything and do all the machining. STAY AWAY from jobs like mine- Fighter Crew Chief, believe me not as cool as it sounds working 12 hours while everyone else works 8 and get paid the same. Also stay away from avionics, weapons, AGE, AMMO, Sheet metal- these are all jobs that suck I know I work with them ( best job on the flight line metals tech by far.) I say X ray tech is a close second because you get all the certs for working outside of the Air Force and I know someone who does it and it may be a duller job but they get PAID, my buddy works night shift on the weekends at a hospital and makes twice as much as he does in the air force. NDI is also a good job because they are in high demand on the outside and make a lot of money. Sensor op is a good job also havent heard much about it but what i do hear is nice just got to watch out because they dont have a lot of bases they can go to, i think Beale AFB, Davis-Monthan and Nellis- not a lot. If you have any questions about other jobs I might be able to help you out just give me a PM.
Great thanks for the info! Is the x-ray tech different than NDI? I keep hearing really great things about the metals tech job I'm thinkin that's gonna be my #1 pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetacoma89 View Post
Are you going active, reserves, or national guard?
I'm going active.

Quote:
I will eventually go to ots just trying to get my foot in the door at the moment. From what I was told the air force is being super picky over who they accept into the officer program straight outta college. There lookin for engineering background and people who were the top of their class. I figured it would be easier to go officer from inside the air force.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
ribby95 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Enlisted
ribby95's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently in the DEP, and leaving August 13. My current Job is going to be E&E. From what I've been told is its always a lot better to have a job then be in the general mechanical field.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #14

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribby95 View Post
I'm currently in the DEP, and leaving August 13. My current Job is going to be E&E. From what I've been told is its always a lot better to have a job then be in the general mechanical field.
Sweet congrats! I've heard that a lot too and I have no problem waiting for something I want to do rather than just going in open mechanical.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
All I can say is make sure you know what job you have before you sign anything.. i have had a number of Airmen come through Techschool all kinds of butthurt about getting put into our Career Field because the Recruiter talked them into going Open, because it meant they could be "Anything" when really Open typically Means.. get put into an Undermanned Career Field
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #16

Air Force:
Ok so everyone keeps saying to know what job I'm getting before I sign anything. When do they have you sign the paperwork for your chosen job? Is it at meps or sometime after that?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

For people W/O ROTC, getting commissioned is TOUGH. I have a friend that two years ago graduated with honors with a B.S. in Civil Engineering from FSU. Though he wanted to go Air Force, he ended up in the Navy.

No ROTC hurt him bad.

Unless you are a Doctor/Nurse/Medical Field, getting to OCS w/o ROTC is next to impossible, unless you are prior service.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99nmtaco View Post
Ok so everyone keeps saying to know what job I'm getting before I sign anything. When do they have you sign the paperwork for your chosen job? Is it at meps or sometime after that?
Based on your ASVAB score, your recruiter should tell you what you qualify for, and what is available.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
virginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired SNCO
virginiamarine's Tacoma Gallery
Lot's of good advice here....always go in with your eyes open as others have stated. I don't know which career field is better for you, but where I work (puzzle palace) the Air Force officers who are in a high tech field or intel seem to be rising the fastest and are happiest. lol. If they won't accept you as an officer...why not try one of the other services? Not trying to sway you, but there are other options.
ps. Did you know that a physical requirement to get into the Air Force academy is shooting free throws? wow
Old 06-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
usaf is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Airborne
Name: Garrett
usaf's Tacoma Gallery
Read up on all the jobs you are interested in and select the ones you like the best. Its what you are going to be doing so you might as well enjoy it. Do not go open general because who knows what you will get. I joined as Aircrew Intell an really enjoy my job!