Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

coast guard question.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
mtxsub is on a distinguished road

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
coast guard question.

I was thinking about joining the coast guard. Im pretty good with computers and network things i know take the test to see what i qualify for but can anyone tell me what i can do with computer networking would i be on a boat or land and how long can i serve for and whats the shortest time to serve?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
This is right up my alley. I am an IT in the CG and run a shop of 18 IT's. To start and to not be a Debbie Downer but... Retention is really high in the CG right now and A School wait lists are extremely long (years not months) and if I'm not mistaken the latest IT class to start is only 3 people (usually class size is 14).

I will tell you what we do work on though as IT's. Pick something... We do everything from server builds, workstation builds, cisco switch programming (in some cases router programming), telephone system installs & maintenance, MAC's (moves add changes) and the best part of the job! Cabling!!! We also run CAT5/CAT6 cabling to spaces, install fiber optic cabling (single mode and multi mode).

A lot of our job is troubleshooting and figuring out why things aren't working the way they should. We deal with end user issues, network issues and you'll need a good understanding of circuits, networks and how everything ties together.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
mtxsub is on a distinguished road

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
well sounds like it is right for me a job in this field im guessing not with the coast guard i might as well go to school for this and try to get into a company.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
chiz is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Craig
chiz's Tacoma Gallery
i agree with forerunner. I am an IT in the DC area and pretty much do the same thing here.

used to be a TT also!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxsub View Post
well sounds like it is right for me a job in this field im guessing not with the coast guard i might as well go to school for this and try to get into a company.
A lot of IT outside the military is contract work. I work at IBM with a company called CTG. If you want to come to Raleigh I can give you a referral.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiz View Post
i agree with forerunner. I am an IT in the DC area and pretty much do the same thing here.

used to be a TT also!
Former TT here as well!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxsub View Post
\

Projected wait for IT school once you're on the list is now over 36 months.