Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

New Marine Corps Poolee Here

Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #21
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 run ins with the law (underage intoxicated in public) that are holding me back from enrolling in that straight out of the university. Hopefully I will be able to become a mustang with time though
Old 07-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #22
mhendrixcap is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: Mike
mhendrixcap's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. Well good luck at boot. My only advice is to stay low, don't draw attention to yourself, and help others around you if they are struggling; teamwork is KEY. My DIs didn't know my name until week 10. It's mainly just a big mind f***, the only real difficult time physically is the crucible but by then you will have worked up to that.

I've worked at OCS during a summer and it is a LOT more physical than boot. So you will have more time to prepare for that while your doing time as enlisted...

Also, as SOON as you graduate from SOI I recommend taking advantage of military tuition assistance and go for your masters degree.

With your physical background in the original post, you should have no problem.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendrixcap View Post
Interesting. Well good luck at boot. My only advice is to stay low, don't draw attention to yourself, and help others around you if they are struggling; teamwork is KEY. My DIs didn't know my name until week 10. It's mainly just a big mind f***, the only real difficult time physically is the crucible but by then you will have worked up to that.

I've worked at OCS during a summer and it is a LOT more physical than boot. So you will have more time to prepare for that while your doing time as enlisted...

Also, as SOON as you graduate from SOI I recommend taking advantage of military tuition assistance and go for your masters degree.

With your physical background in the original post, you should have no problem.
We had a guy who went to boot but was sent home in week 3 to get tested for asthma and he said it wasn't as physically demanding as he had thought. Our current RSS Gunnery Sergeant does a good job of working us out.

Thank you for the advice, I'm taking this just one step at a time for now so training for MCRD is on my mind. After I pass through that then SOI will be on my mind, then OCS, etc.

Again thanks for (all of) the advice! Any bit of information is much appreciated and utilized.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #24
bunxbun is on a distinguished road
Marines: Reserves 2821 TechCon
Name: Bunnath
bunxbun's Tacoma Gallery
boot camp is not what everyone makes it out to be, they pretty much push everybody through, as long as you dont break any bones. even the worse of the worst recruits make it through, and you just wonder why
Old 07-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #25
Future Tacoma is just really niceFuture Tacoma is just really niceFuture Tacoma is just really niceFuture Tacoma is just really nice
Marines:
Name: Jeff
Future Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mark,

I would read all of the posts you have already received and read them again.

I am not being sarcastic or an a--h---. Just do it. Look for words of wisdom think about what the Marine was trying to tell you.

I just turned 50 years young as they say so boot camp at MCRD was a long time ago for me.

I went to MCRD and so did my dad he served in Korea and was a machine gunner in the Marine Corps during the Korean War and he was a warrior not a soldier. I can say that about my dad. I know him. I know what he was. I guess I am not about to tell you which one I am that is b---s--- to say only good things about yourself let those around you judge you and you need to judge yourself. Be hard on yourself harder than those around you and you will do great things in your life.

If you stick (and I don't mean just graduate from boot camp, but if you pay attention to what is going on around you and you do join the infantry) you will know the difference between a warrior and a soldier.

I am not going to explain it you will know the feeling if and when you are a warrior.

Work your ass off physically before you go. I know boot camp has changed since I went through it, but it is still boot camp.

I had a Senior Drill Instructor Gunnery Sergeant Merghart and he was a Vietnam Veteran he was impeccable. He was a rare individual and I knew it even back then when I was going through boot camp. I hope there are still Marines like him serving as Drill Instructors for our Marine Corps today.

Give it everything you have.

Forget about everyone at home and everything.

You have chosen the Marine Corps you want to be the absolute best.

Less than the best is unacceptable.

I have some other things to tell you, but if you want to know send me a private email.

If you don't email me I understand.

It is about the not so glamorous side of what every Marine Officer as well as enlisted Marine should know and accept.

By the way buy this book, don't check it out at the library buy it if you can't afford it send me your full name and address and I will get you a copy "With the Old Breed" E. B. Sledge.

Best wishes and may God Bless you in your endeavors,

Jeff
Old 07-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamarine View Post
Now that I'm retired...I can suggest some work outs for you, but honestly, it sounds like you'll be fine going through boot camp (good advice from others on lower body workout). You'll be in better shape than the average if you can max out the pull ups and sit ups and do a run under 22-23. My advise is to be mentally prepared. It's about controlled chaos, so be prepared to live and breath under the direction of the DI's for the entire time. You work and function as a platoon, so be prepared for those who come up short....you have to help each other out or you'll all suffer. It's a wake up at zero dark thirty and lights out just before. There is no "me" time even when your in the head or at chow...ps. eat as fast as you can at chow cause they'll kick you out just as soon as you sit. No emails, so remember some addresses for snail mail (unless they changed that). When I graduated PI, I went home in uniform...my civilian clothes basically rotted in a paper bag and had to be thrown away. Don't bother staring at the airplanes taking off (MCRD is next to the airport)...as a matter of fact, the yellow footsteps seem very close to the runway!! lol
My apology for missing your post. From what it sounds like, high intensity circuit training is what I should focus on along with humps, sprints and longer runs (3-5 miles)... is this a safe assumption? The only mental preparedness that I can think of to help me is going to our Poolee functions/humps, our Gunnery Sergeant does a pretty good job of 'keeping us in check' when he's running things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmoody View Post
You'll probably be pegged to be the scribe for your platoon since you have a bachelor's. It's some added responsibility and less sleep but it will benefit you in the long run.

If you don't already, kill your legs at least twice a week in the gym. It will definitely pay off on the hikes. You won't ever impress a drill instructor but if you're not falling out of the humps you're definitely not going to be highlighted for getting slayed later on.

Can you do 20 pullups without getting off the bar? I can do 30+ in 2 minutes but that's like 2 sets within 2 minutes.

What's your MOS? Are you getting a Secret or a Top Secret clearance? I'm pretty sure the Secret clearance will be cleared before/during your stay in San Diego but a Top Secret one will take longer depending on where you're from and your previous foreign adventures. If you have a TS they'll pull you out a few times to interview you. I was fortunate enough to have my background investigation complete in May (left for boot camp in January, got to MOS school in May) because my record is extremely clean because I'm an upstanding citizen but I know some people who were put on hold after they graduated from school because they hadn't gotten their clearances yet.
Again, sorry I missed the questions you had; I'm going to start doing some humps on my own to get my lower body better prepared as well as hitting em hard in the gym. I can do between 20-25 pull ups without getting off of the bar, and maybe a few more if I was able to switch my grip. I don't know for certain in regards to my MOS but I'm working on getting some paperwork sent through for a ship date in January of an 03xx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
Man I remember boot camp I went in at 6' 1'' 185lbs, on grad day I was 167lbs don't bulk up to much you will get smoked in boot camp cuz you got muscles trust me I know . I avg 21 min 3 mile, 110 crunches, 17-20 pull ups, plus pull ups are where you get your points at anyways. I was a sniper for 7 of the 8 years I was in and we ran everywhere we went humped 70 lbs packs all that fun stuff, my advice to you is CARDIO CADIO CARDIO and you will do fine, oh make sure you break up with your g/f before you go it will make things easier you don't want no dear john letter while your there but good luck you'll need it.
I'll need to lean out a bit because I'm around 175 with single digit body fat percentage and don't want to get smoked any more than I will already... Cardio cardio cardio, got it! What is it with literally everyone saying break up with your g/f before you go in well I'm definitely staying single haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Tacoma View Post
Jeff
PM'd