Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

AF Officer?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
AF Officer?

I've been kicking around the idea of becoming an officer in the Air Force. I'd like to have my own business someday so it'd be a nice way to get some startup money since the economy is looking bleak. Opinions? How have you guys liked it?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
2469 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: SSgt
Name: Kevin
2469's Tacoma Gallery
Air Force is the way to go...cant speak to the officer side of things but from the enlisted side its treated me well.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
bigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 9SFS
Name: Jared
bigtaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Not trying to discourage you but it's tough these days to come in as an officer. The Air Force is picky and the sooner the better. I wish I could have come in as an officer. Good luck with your endevors OP.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
J Prich is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Jason
J Prich's Tacoma Gallery
I am enlisted, spent 9 years working in two different ROTC programs. I know the officer accessions side pretty well. Feel free to drop me a line if you have questions, would be happy to share what I know.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
nevenelestate is just really nicenevenelestate is just really nicenevenelestate is just really nicenevenelestate is just really nicenevenelestate is just really nice

Air Force: F-16 Avionics Tech 01-07
Name: Andrew
nevenelestate's Tacoma Gallery
Joining AF as officer or enlisted is not a good way to " get some startup money" they are cutting back on officers in all the branches and the pay isn't that good. Getting skills that can help you make more money on the outside is a better plan.

But if you go officer or enlisted, AF is the best
Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
SAWTulsa is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Sean
SAWTulsa's Tacoma Gallery
I got out of Active Duty in 2007 and spent time enlisted and then was commissioned as an officer. I think AF is definitely the way to go. I transitioned to a great civilian career no doubt partially as a result of my AF service and experience.

My story was a bit different though...I finished my BS, applied for OTS, didn't get accepted for the reasons stated above, enlisted (best decision ever!), then applied later for OTS after having performance reports and accolades inside the AF. My two cents is that every AF officer should have to go through enlisted Basic Training and experience that side of the house first anyway (the enlisted corps is truly the heart beat and backbone of the AF). If you are going to be an officer just remember that the enlisted troops are who you are there for.

Can't hurt to apply for OTS first but be ready for anything...lots of great professional/business/personal reasons to join but it is definitely about "Service Before Self"...IMO if you don't go in ready to just plain serve then I don't think you'll be happy with the decision. Again, just my two cents.

By the way I had a great experience and only got out for family reasons...but totally miss wearing the uniform.

Best of luck to you!! And sincere thanks to those who have served and are still serving!!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
DocBlieb is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Logan
DocBlieb's Tacoma Gallery
Any branch officer would be the best. Enlisted is kind of a weight on you if you are trying to go somewhere in life. AF treats their people the best. Marines have the most fun and misery, Army is not like it use to be but has some great options if you get in the right area. and Navy (me), have more travel, more hurry up and wait, and more saftey regulations. (same if its actual plane mechanics in the AF). but Navy has way more programs for helping and WAY more area's to work in. You could be Air side with planes or helo's, green side with medical/seabee's, blue side with SWO and a lot more. Thats just my opinion from what ive seen being an enlisted "Doc" on a ship, overseas hospital, and green side Marines. If you have any questions, PM me and ill get you an answer. I work with all branches since im in the medical side of the house.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
DocBlieb is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Logan
DocBlieb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWTulsa View Post
I got out of Active Duty in 2007 and spent time enlisted and then was commissioned as an officer. I think AF is definitely the way to go. I transitioned to a great civilian career no doubt partially as a result of my AF service and experience.

My story was a bit different though...I finished my BS, applied for OTS, didn't get accepted for the reasons stated above, enlisted (best decision ever!), then applied later for OTS after having performance reports and accolades inside the AF. My two cents is that every AF officer should have to go through enlisted Basic Training and experience that side of the house first anyway (the enlisted corps is truly the heart beat and backbone of the AF). If you are going to be an officer just remember that the enlisted troops are who you are there for.

Can't hurt to apply for OTS first but be ready for anything...lots of great professional/business/personal reasons to join but it is definitely about "Service Before Self"...IMO if you don't go in ready to just plain serve then I don't think you'll be happy with the decision. Again, just my two cents.

By the way I had a great experience and only got out for family reasons...but totally miss wearing the uniform.

Best of luck to you!! And sincere thanks to those who have served and are still serving!!

You did it the right way but not many people are motivated to get off their ass and apply! Good on you bro!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
RyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1Lt, C-130 Navigator
Name: Ryan
RyanLikesTacos's Tacoma Gallery
I was enlisted for about 10.5 years and commissioned 3 years ago. As others have said, enlisting before commissioning is certainly an option and you get the chance to feel out the other side. If you have any questions, let me know. Best of luck!