Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

AFOQT help please!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
gflo2588 is on a distinguished road
gflo2588's Tacoma Gallery
AFOQT help please!

Hello everybody! I've decided to pursue a career field in the Air Force and I am aware of the harsh selection rates. I've always wanted to be in the military and figured I'd try to do something before its too late.

I graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree from an ABET accredited college. I am currently 24 and have about 2 years working experience in my field and am still employed. I went through the tons and tons of paperwork in applying for OTS and took the AFOQT.

Unfortunately I did not meet the minimum score requirement due to my Verbal section scores. Can anybody give me some advice on how to better prepare for this section of the AFOQT?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
Rivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant future

Air Force: Contracting
Rivet Joint's Tacoma Gallery
Well it has been about 6 yrs since I took that test. I remember I bought a study guide with numerous practice tests from the book store. I think I took at least a dozen practice tests while in ROTC too. I know a few guys who also used study guides from the SAT and ACT tests too. Study study study and don't overthink the questions. One answer is blatantly incorrect so that narrows it down a bit too.

Best of luck dude!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
what job are looking to get? I took it about 2 years ago and hit the marks, but i'm "older" so that closed a couple of doors...

You can take the AFOQT twice and the current score is what you're stuck with...so if you take it again and do worse, your stuck with it.

I found the study guides to help some, but a lot of it is the reading comp and understanding what the question is asking.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
gflo2588 is on a distinguished road
gflo2588's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses!

I'm going for 62E Developmental Engineer. I also put down a couple other engineering related positions.

The time constraint obviously makes it a lot harder as well because there isn't much time to think about your answer.

I did take a bunch of practice test but I will try some SAT and ACT tests as well thanks for the advice Rivet.