1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AFOQT help please!

Discussion in 'Military' started by gflo2588, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Nov 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    gflo2588

gflo2588 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport
    Hello everybody! I've decided to pursue a career field in the Air Force and I am aware of the harsh selection rates. I've always wanted to be in the military and figured I'd try to do something before its too late.

I graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree from an ABET accredited college. I am currently 24 and have about 2 years working experience in my field and am still employed. I went through the tons and tons of paperwork in applying for OTS and took the AFOQT.

Unfortunately I did not meet the minimum score requirement due to my Verbal section scores. Can anybody give me some advice on how to better prepare for this section of the AFOQT?

Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 20, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    Rivet Joint

Rivet Joint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2010 SWB DC Sport
    5100s @ .85, OME 885s, Rear TSB, Helo Max 6's, General AT2 Tires, Black Badges, Demello Offroad Bumper, Grillcraft, Sub/Amp, Pioneer DVD HU, TRD Intake & Exhaust.
    Well it has been about 6 yrs since I took that test. I remember I bought a study guide with numerous practice tests from the book store. I think I took at least a dozen practice tests while in ROTC too. I know a few guys who also used study guides from the SAT and ACT tests too. Study study study and don't overthink the questions. One answer is blatantly incorrect so that narrows it down a bit too.

Best of luck dude!

3. Nov 20, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    what job are looking to get? I took it about 2 years ago and hit the marks, but i'm "older" so that closed a couple of doors...

You can take the AFOQT twice and the current score is what you're stuck with...so if you take it again and do worse, your stuck with it.

I found the study guides to help some, but a lot of it is the reading comp and understanding what the question is asking.

4. Nov 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    gflo2588

gflo2588 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport
    Thanks for the responses!

I'm going for 62E Developmental Engineer. I also put down a couple other engineering related positions.

The time constraint obviously makes it a lot harder as well because there isn't much time to think about your answer.

I did take a bunch of practice test but I will try some SAT and ACT tests as well thanks for the advice Rivet.

Products Discussed in

To Top