1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Military to full-time Student

Discussion in 'Military' started by ArMarine04, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Dec 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    ArMarine04

ArMarine04 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Beaufort, SC
    A very important cross road will be approaching me in the not too distant future. Getting out of the military after 10+ years of honorable service and about 30 years old.

Does anyone here have any experience making the transition and becoming a full-time student? High School was a long time ago so I feel like the learning curve would be a challenge plus your "peer" ground will be litterally be a bunch of snot nosed teenagers!

What do you guys think?

2. Dec 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    virginiamarine

virginiamarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    FJCruiser/Double cab Tacoma
    After 10 years....it's a tough call since your're over the hump. I strongly suggest you stay in the IRR and continue to do your MCI's. First, you receive 15 points or more (I forget) I believe for being in the IRR annually and then you complete 4-5 MCI's a year and get points for them also...before you know it, you have 50 points towards a SAT year. Never wear a uniform again, but receive the benfits of military membership and retire after 10 or less years (depending on your DEP date)!
    As for full time school....I did this before I retired for my masters. I suggest...if you're getting out in the NOVA region, you get a job with a company that pays full tuition. Easier said than done I know. Go to Community for 2 years if you like then go to GMU/VT/VCU or any other school for the final two years. Most institutes have an agreement with communities to accept full credits for transfer.
    Be patient...it's been a while since you've been in class, so you might have to re learn a few things especially with writing and statistics. It was easier for me to go to night school with working adults. I actually met a lot of good contacts that way too.
    Before you know it....you'll be in a cushy high paying job surfing the forums like me...I mean...like others. hahaha!

3. Dec 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    ArMarine04

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Beaufort, SC
    With all the draw down etc staying in is definitely my first choice but I want to be prepared for the event that I would get the opportunity to stay in for the full 20. The post 9-11 GI bill is pretty enticing with the housing allowance for full-time students and if I played my cards right I should be able to live on that with maybe only a part-time job. Personally I have my heart set on Liberty University and GMU would be a close second choice.
    I do know, at liberty anyways, that they offer classes especially for people who've been out of school for a long time to basicly help get you have on the power curve of learning.
    I know myself and I fear if I didn't go straight to a full-time student and possibly do the night school or distance education and work full-time and school in my spare time that I may not stick with it and finish.

4. Dec 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    The suckiest part is being poor again! Work your ass off and do everything you can to maintain atleast a 3.75 and apply for scholarships. There are tons of scholarships for veterans via alumni private dontations ect that sadly go un-used. Apply to them all. Thats money in your pocket.

5. Dec 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    ArMarine04

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Beaufort, SC
    HA tell me about it, only getting paid about a third of what I get now will be as huge adjustment as school will! What does the 3.75 get ya besides good grades?

6. Dec 19, 2013 at 3:48 AM
    virginiamarine

virginiamarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    FJCruiser/Double cab Tacoma
    You're gonna struggle even with the 9/11 gi bill if this is all on your own dime. Liberty might be the way to go since the cost of living will be a lot less, but good luck getting a part time job down there. If those classes that help you get back on track aren't credit worthy....then don't take them. It's a waste of your time and money. Just my .02 cents. What MOS are you?

7. Dec 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    ArMarine04

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Beaufort, SC
    It's going to suck financially and that is one of the reasons I'm paying extra now on the tacoma before my EAS so if I get pushed out my biggest dept is taken care of! That is a good point about those classes, idk if they are credited or not. I'm a 1391.

8. Dec 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    sjwhitaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    For one it helps with the scholarships and should make you eligible to graduate with honors. The only thing that will stick out when an employer glances at your college credentials. If you can swing it, do yourself a favor and stay out of the dorm. You will want to dive off the top of the building within a week. 18 year old kids that have never left there hometown make a platoon of privates look like saints.

9. Dec 21, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    ArMarine04

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Beaufort, SC
    Trust me, I will not be living on campus even if my life depended on it!

10. Dec 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    OK, in full disclosure I have no military experience myself. I am a college professor and specialize in retraining vets for high tech careers so I know a lot about college and employment/career resources for vets. Also, I work for Cisco Systems and sit on their Veterans Task Force.

There is a big national push to help vets with re-entry to civilian life. Some of the more exciting programs are:

1) Credit for military experience. Many colleges are awarding vets college credits for skills attainment while in the service. Ask your intended school about this. Also, many schools deeply discount tuition and other costs for veterans (although you may already have that covered with your vet benefits???)

2) Many major employers are giving hiring preference to vets. Check out:
    www.h2h.jobs
    Cisco Systems and other companies and the federal government are behind the website and it is a good resource for vets returning to civilian life.

What career(s) are you considering?

Best wishes. - Dwight

11. Dec 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Wait until you graduate though. You have to look long term at this thing...

My students make $45k - $55k starting salaries out of my 2-year community college program and many of them only take 1 year of FT courses before getting hired.

It is no uncommon to be making $85k - $125k within about 5 years in this field.

One of my former students who graduated 5 years ago is making $110k at Nike today. Several of my former students make over $55k at Daimler Trucks NA (formerly Freightliner), and the list goes on.

And if you decide to go back oversees and do military contracts as a civilian, WOW. Big Bucks. My buddy is pulling down $30k a month doing telecom in Afghanistan (mainly on base in Kabul).

So many high paying civilian jobs out there for smart people willing to work hard and apply themselves.

BTW, thank you for your service. I say a prayer for all of you every day and am truthfully very thankful for my freedoms and American lifestyle and that folks like you are the sentinels of our freedom, laying your lives on the line for us all. Thank you!

If there is anything I can do for you just ask.

12. Dec 22, 2013 at 3:52 AM
    ArMarine04

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Beaufort, SC
    I've had some opportunities during my career to Instructor multiple different military courses and through that I've discovered that I really enjoy teaching. First and foremost that would be the path I'd want to most pursue. Seems like Law Enforcement is a popular choice for Vets and would be for me too as a second option.

I've never really considered a civilian career that's inline with my current job in the military or really anything else besides the two options mentioned above and now that I think about it I should be open to all possibilities.

13. Dec 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    sjwhitaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    Just remember the old saying "Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life"

14. Dec 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great advices here! Don't rush going back to school! Figure out what you really want to do/learn and go for it. I don't think you need to be enrolled full time to receive the housing benefits via post 9/11 GI Bill. I think you'll receive partial if you go part time..I could be wrong.

Good lord, I'm going to school for the wrong field! I wouldn't mind working at Nike!

15. Dec 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Liberty University, excellent choice, top notch staff, impeccable values. With you, coming from the military, you will be welcomed there.

Of course, it is only what you make of it . I'm betting, you will do great.

oldracer

16. Dec 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    ArMarine04

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Beaufort, SC
    No your right about the partial thing. It's based on how many credit hours your taking and that will determine how much you get. Which will kinda make the summer months harder to maintain those credit hours in order to keep the BAH (aka my living expenses).

I know teaching will never make me 6 figures nor would lawenforcement but I do know with those two fields I would actually enjoy what I'm doing.

Man if only I could have won that 630 some million dollar power ball the other day I wouldn't have to worry about any of this stuff. Just the thought of getting out of the military at this point in my life makes me nervous!

17. Dec 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    All I know is it took me the first couple of years to not want to choke out the snot nosed punks. School is pretty easy nowadays IMO. Just stay disciplined with a schedule and stay on top of things and you'll be completely fine. Having age and experience going in makes college a whole different experience and much easier.

Products Discussed in

To Top