1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spartan Tactical VMP

Discussion in 'Military' started by Hunter.V.White, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Dec 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. Dec 23, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    I just received an email back from them:

"We have a 15% discount for military. That would come out to $246.46 for the standard VMP."

In case anyone is interested.

3. Dec 26, 2013 at 5:30 AM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    When I had my Jeep I looked at something similar from smittybilt. It was essentially the same thing but alot cheaper. My GM also got seat covers from a company thst had molle on the back, they were pretty nice but way to expensive. I will try to find the name of the company.

4. Dec 30, 2013 at 1:08 AM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Great; thanks for the reply!

5. Jan 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    I just bought my first Eberlestock pack a few weeks ago, so I can agree the quality was worth it. These seat covers do look pretty fun, and would definitely draw attention. Maybe a future mod when I get a little extra cash.

6. Jan 5, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    Interesting. I'm guessing these would interfere with the seat air bags. Thoughts?

7. Jan 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    I don't think so, but I can't say for sure. These are not a true seat cover; they just attach via straps that fasten around the top and bottom of the seat back (see YouTube video). If I understand correctly, the airbags in the seats deploy around mid-height from the outboard sides of the seat backs. However, I have never seen a seat airbag on a Tacoma deploy before, so I can't be certain.

Hunter

8. May 17, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Hey TW,

I finally bought this product and another product that was similar in concept. I'll use this post to update the thread as well as serve as a product review for those that are interested in this sort of thing.

SPARTAN TACTICAL CONCEPTS VMP-C:
    The first product I bought was the Spartan Tactical Concepts Vehicle Modular Platform - Compact: VMP-C.

VMP-CBack_zpsbcfdf3ee_9a07bcb6f683b34f5011f107e6cae2e81da8da6c.jpg

This is a similar offering to the product that I discovered and posted about above. It is $195 ($165.75 with the 15% military discount); so a little less expensive. It is smaller than the full size VMP, and only offers one strap to be worn like a satchel, as opposed to the two straps that allow the VMP to be worn like a backpack. I think this product is better suited for the Tacoma seat, as the size is just about perfect (probably by design). The VMP might be a little too big. It still has the VS-17 panel integrated into it also.

VMP-CVS-17_zps49c3b071_06ba5efc84b81d1e41a16ba04e17cf62d29de2e6.jpg

I am using the VMP-C to carry all of my first responder / EMT supplies. I have been one of the first responders to two accidents so far. Luckily, both times medical supplies were not needed, but I'd rather be prepared just in case. I chose the VMP-C to serve the EMT function because it is quickly detachable from the seat - just pinch the 6 buckles around the seat; two per side and one on the top and bottom. In the event I need the medical supplies, I want to be able to take all of them with me to the patient, not have to work out of my truck. I also chose it because of the integrated VS-17 panel. This is a stretch, but it will serve as a near recognition marking during the day for a life-flight / MEDEVAC helicopter. A stretch, I know, but it is cool anyways. I plan to add a smoke grenade to this panel for far recognition during the day and chem lights for near recognition at night.

The product itself is very well constructed. I looked closely at all of the stitching, material choices, hardware used, etc. and was very impressed. I know now why it costs so much. You really do get a lot out of this product. I fully expect this product to last the life of my vehicle and beyond. I also want to take a moment to comment on the customer service of Spartan Tactical Concepts. Their representatives were very helpful during the purchase. They appear to be a small company (which I like) and were very fast to rely to my emails. They adjusted the price to reflect the military discount after the purchase - I couldn't figure out how to apply it on the website as I was making the purchase. Also, their website also didn't include shipping in the original purchase, so in an email from one of their representatives, they said that they would cover the cost of the shipping at no charge to me - and they shipped it to Fairbanks, AK. It arrived about 5 days later. Overall, I am very impressed with their product and their company. I will definitely keep a look out for future product offering from them.

BLUE RIDGE OVERLAND GEAR:
    Because the VMP-C was expensive, I opted to purchase another product for the passenger side of the truck. I used the Blue Ridge Overland Gear MOLLE Seat-Back Pannel 12" x 22".

BROGBack_zps14e6b021_58b792fb448a31ff4fd3de6c4be34cd335078a3b.jpg

This product was $41.99; significantly less than the VMP-C. It attaches with a single clip on top that wraps around the head rest posts and a strap the clips on each side that wraps around the bottom of the seat back. I believe this panel was also designed to be quickly detachable from the seat back. It probably could be deployed faster than the VMP-C. The construction of this panel was very high quality as well. It comes with a hard material (probably plastic) in the center to give the panel rigidity. It also has velcro on the top and bottom, which allows the addition of patches. I thought this was a cool feature. I use this panel to carry all of my extraction equipment and general outdoor gear.

Here are a few images of both of these panels together:

VMP-CampBROGFullLeft_zps59a0238a_f775ea8bccb220fe6274d4315cfcfee3f5c0a352.jpg

VMP-CampBROGFullRight_zps9e071508_a4e1f7b6a5ebbf8f6981adba18182cecb740e1ed.jpg

All of the pouches used on these panel were purchased from Tactical Tailor. These are very high quality pouches and are highly recommended. A lot of guys that I work with in the infantry use these pouches for their kits at work and their personal gear. They also come recommended from Spartan Tactical Concepts.

COMPARISON:

I would say that if you want to absolute best seat-back panel with the most features, you would want the VMP-C. If you are looking for the best value, I would recommend the the Blue Ridge Overland Gear panel.

Another point for consideration is the aesthetic footprint on the front of the seat. The VMP-C uses a padded cover to three conceal the straps that wrap around the seat:

VMP-CFront_zpsa372c715_2aa2c8de893f4b776ade296b2dc94339b5662492.jpg

I can see how this would not be a desirable feature to some. At this point, you are committed to the function over form. Compare this to the very minimal aesthetic footprint of the Blue Ridge Overland Gear panel:

BROGFront_zpse967f4f6_49bdecb62cc35bf2d7845aba6ef6ee0f77466f8f.jpg

In the end, both panels will allow the same pouches to be attached via the molle system, as they are both approximately the same size. Both panels look really good, and both are removable. Both companies seem to be small, and both were very pleasant to work with. Both products can be purchased online through the hyperlinks provided in this post.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT

The first improvement I would make to the VMP-C would be a quick detach system similar to the emergency release on the IOTV. If you aren't familiar with this feature on the Improved Outer Tactical Vest (body armor), it is a rip cord that allows the vest to completely fall off the wearer in the event of an emergency (drowning, fire, needed medical attention, etc.) I believe that this concept could be easily implement in this product. Simply run a cord through all of the attachment points with a single pull tab located on the side - Imagine a pull loop on the left side with a runner going up, clockwise around the panel, and a runner going down, counter clockwise around the panel. they would meet up on the other side of the panel in the middle. A strong, long pull on the rip cord would break all of the links in the straps, allowing the panel to fall off the seat. This would greatly decrease deployment time in the event of an emergency.

As for the Blue Ridge Overland Gear panel, I believe they (or the end user) could easily sew a VS-17 panel onto the back of it. For all of the military guys and gals out there thinking of buying one of these products, if you want a cheaper version of the VMP-C, I would secure a VS-17 panel from work and have one of the many tailors that sew uniforms simply sew it onto the back. This would provide many of the same features as the VMP-C for a third of the cost. I may end up doing this to my Blue Ridge Overland Gear panel. I might also come up with some clever way of folding a VS-17 panel and using velcro to secure a VS-17 panel 9 times the size of the molle panel onto the back. This would allow the VS-17 panel to be detached (think of marking an LZ while still needing to provide patient care) and much larger than just twice the size of the molle panel.

I would also think of using 550 cord for the securing straps on the Blue Ridge Overland Gear panel, rather than the flat straps currently used. the flat straps push the head rest up, as well as creates a larger footprint on the bottom of the seat back. I would then use a different clip to further minimize the footprint as well as decrease the deployment time. Or possibly even just a device that allows 550 cord to be ran through it and synched tight, thus the 550 cord could be replaced if worn, broken, or a different color is desired.

If anyone has any further questions, feel free to post and I will do my best to answer them!

Hunter

Hartman and dtd608 like this.
  9. Aug 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    TrevBates

TrevBates Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5
    3-inch suspension lift 5 additional tie down D-rings. Deckplate MOD Satoshi "raptor" style grille
    I like it! I've been thinking about doing a MOLLE gear mod. I like the behind the seat version you've got going on here.

10. Nov 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    Oppositeboy

Oppositeboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Excellent write-up! I picked up a VMP when they first came out. They are good quality. I highly recommend it if someone it looking for something like that.

Products Discussed in

To Top