Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

My Son wants to join Air Force I dont think its good idea. Help me out.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #21
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Thats my fear, he gets there and with all the cuts incoming he ends up with out job and with out school. Right now I can help him to go through school, help pay tuition, books etc... in 5 years his brother will be going to school than his another brother, than his sisters.. So if he goes to army and that does not work out, I am going to have hard time helping him.

Yes I will be very proud, but that does not mean I am going to be happy. I was hoping he gets his degree and he will be set. Now we are talking about at least 7 year delay. I still think there is recruiter somewhere that put all that crazy ideas in his head.
I am going to tell him about cuts, and see what he says. Is there a link I can reference ?
try this for a basic understanding

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDispla...orce-size.aspx
Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #22
EODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Explosive Ordnanace Disposal
Name: Dave
EODTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Like many have said, there are worse things your son could do. The military isn't for everyone and it's even more difficult for the individuals who need to be close to their family. I've been in for a little over 12 years now and time has flown by. I have very little regret in my choices so far. I got lucky and joined a career field that was tight knit and helped steer me in favorable life choices. Sounds like he is joining for the right reasons and you never know. He could do his 4, finish school and come back as an officer.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #23
tacofox is just really nicetacofox is just really nicetacofox is just really nicetacofox is just really nicetacofox is just really nice
Air Force:
Name: Isaac
tacofox's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Thanks guys, This is very helpful.
From what he told me he wants to go to cyber security. However, I dont know if that is what he wants to do, or he is just saying that to put me at ease.
He wants to serve country, and wants to help out. He insists that afterwards (4 years ) he is going to go back to school and Air Force will pay for his degree (I doubt that.)

Its all fine, but I think if he got career first than joined Air Force, at least he would have something to fall back if his Air Force experiment does not work out. My biggest gripe is that me and my wife sacrificed a lot to get him where he is.
We on purpose moved, and bought tiny home but in great school district just to give kids better start. I passed on a lot of jobs just to stay were we are. Here in my mind he is throwing that life opportunity away, and I hate to be the one to say "I told you so".
I heard about cuts in the army, and I heard about promises made by recruiters that never materialized. I just dont want him to toss sure thing for something that may or may not be good. His biggest claim is that GI bill will pay for his school later. I don't know how much and I heard different stories about GI bill paying for only portion of school.
Also I dont think he is material for an army, I am from ex Eastern Block and army was not picnic so unless you had some balls and tough mindset, you were not surviving well, never mind benefiting.
as long as he does 3 years he will get the GI bill and if he does the post 9/11 bill and foes to a blue ribbon school he will get staff sgt BAH what is at least 800 a month for housing or what ever he wants to use it for maybe a taco payment lol but the school is all paid for as well and money for books
Old 01-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #24
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
He if is REALLY wanting to join. Don't discourage him, support him. If he doesn't do it, he may regret it for the rest of his life.. Also he might look back and remember you being the one to talk him out of it.

College isn't for everbody, but it also could be that he just isn't ready for it. Maybe he needs to get out and see some things and learn about his self and what he really wants. What a waste and struggle to go thru college when you're either not ready or don't know what you're really after. What would be the "true" benefit if he toughed college out... But he didn't like the degree because he didn't know what he wanted to start with. Then what, be potentially stuck in a field he hates.

Out of all the branches I've always heard the Airforce takes best care of their people. Now I'm sure that could vary, but it says a lot too.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #25
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I supposed. I should be happy for him, he is great, never being a problem, great grades, never in trouble.
I guess that's the parent thing. Trying to protect from real, and imaginary threats. Plus he is oldest so that's my first time.

Now if my youngest son decided to join, I am going to worry more about army, than about him. That boy is nothing but trouble

BTW big thanks for help. Its good info.
Now in the case My oldest decides to go. Whats the good gift for him ( except pre-paid 1 year Fedex delivery of mom's cooking) ?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #26
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
As someone who went to college instead of the military

I vote military first. Getting a degree is far from a sure path to a good job and comfortable life. Military experience coupled with a paid for college degree however is a huge step in the right direction. I'm 31 years old...compared to my former high school classmates, im actually pretty far behind because I came out of college without any real work experience and had to start from the bottom whereas others have relevant work experience walking in the door.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #27
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Also, if your son decides to proceed with trying to get into the Airforce, be sure and keep us up to date. I'm sure we will try and help as much as we can. It helps to have people in the know, to help him try to avoid some of the potential negatives.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #28
AirForceTacoma08 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 2 MXS
Name: Adan
AirForceTacoma08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats my fear, he gets there and with all the cuts incoming he ends up with out job and with out school. Right now I can help him to go through school, help pay tuition, books etc... in 5 years his brother will be going to school than his another brother, than his sisters.. So if he goes to army and that does not work out, I am going to have hard time helping him.

Yes I will be very proud, but that does not mean I am going to be happy. I was hoping he gets his degree and he will be set. Now we are talking about at least 7 year delay. I still think there is recruiter somewhere that put all that crazy ideas in his head.
I am going to tell him about cuts, and see what he says. Is there a link I can reference ?

most of the cuts should be voluntary considering that they are offering a deal to those that want out and have been in for quite some time
Old 01-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #29
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The cuts don't matter for him. He will have 4 years, if he wants more he'll probably get them. He WILL get his GI bill for college unless he gets in trouble and kicked out. Ie drinking underage, drugs, shit like that. Besides nearly half college graduates can't get jobs. Go figure.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #30
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a parent, but I get the impression that it is a win-win situation if you let him make his own decision. If he loves the Air Force experience he can be proud of himself for making a good decision at a young age. If he hates it, he can't blame it on you.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #31
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
As someone who went to college instead of the military

I vote military first. Getting a degree is far from a sure path to a good job and comfortable life. Military experience coupled with a paid for college degree however is a huge step in the right direction. I'm 31 years old...compared to my former high school classmates, im actually pretty far behind because I came out of college without any real work experience and had to start from the bottom whereas others have relevant work experience walking in the door.
I can support this. I graduated from college 6 yrs ago. Luckily i have a FT job, but I've been looking for a new job for about a year and its so tough out there. A college education isn't all that its cracked up to be nowadays...they'll pretty much accept anybody because its become all about money. Just like education in our country across the board, the quality is dwindling. If I could do it again, I would have saved my money and developed my skills in some sort of trade. The Air Force can give him that, among other things. My brother became a Ferrier/Blacksmith right out of high school and he makes more money than I ever will.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #32
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Let him go

Kids are like birds, they have to leave the nest sometimes.

I did 21 years in the military. I was lucky and spent 11 of those years as enlisted and 10 years as an officer. The enlisted time made me a better officer.

The big thing with kids going into the military is career choice and what that translates to in the civilian world.

Being a machine gunner or a mortar crewman might be fun, but you usually can't find those careers in the want ads or in the phone book.

Sounds like your son has done some research. Cyber Security isn't going away soon and he should not have a problem getting a job on the civilian side.

You should do some research on the Air Force and the Cyber Security career field and engage your son and see what is between his ears. You are a better judge of him than we are, and you should be able to determine if that is what he really wants and if his mind is there.

The largest hurdle will be basic training (mind games) and his tech school (how good he is at school). Once that is behind him, it's up to him what he does and how far he goes.

The opportunities and benefits are there (in the military)

The only caution I have is BE CAREFUL with the recruiter. Don't let him sign anything unless he has a guarantee, and read all of the paperwork TWICE before signing. It was interesting (and fun) when my cousins were going into the Army, my being with them at the recruiters office had an amazing effect on the recruiter......he knew he couldn't BS the kids or me and my cousins got a kick out of the recruiter addressing me as "Sir".

Good luck to the both of you !!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #33
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post

The only caution I have is BE CAREFUL with the recruiter. Don't let him sign anything unless he has a guarantee, and read all of the paperwork TWICE before signing. It was interesting (and fun) when my cousins were going into the Army, my being with them at the recruiters office had an amazing effect on the recruiter......he knew he couldn't BS the kids or me and my cousins got a kick out of the recruiter addressing me as "Sir".

Good luck to the both of you !!!!
Thats a good point, so are recruiters allowed to bait and switch? I would think its standard form.
I am going to tell my son to bring paperwork home before he signs it.
Maybe get family friend to help out (He is Ex Ranger)
Old 01-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #34
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats a good point, so are recruiters allowed to bait and switch? I would think its standard form.
I am going to tell my son to bring paperwork home before he signs it.
Maybe get family friend to help out (He is Ex Ranger)
The truth is that once you are enlisted, you are government property. If they want, they can do whatever they like with your skills or job. Normally they don't.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #35
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
OP I think the armed forces is one of the best ways to go. Although he has already gotten 1 year of college under his belt once he gets out he could possibly have another year of credit under his belt with the military depending on what he is doing. Then he could get out after 2 yrs of college that is paid for.

I wanted to join an armed forces when I was 18 but my family is very higher education oriented so I went to school and graduated while working my butt off to pay for college. It is my biggest regret right now is not joining. I have a great job right now but I also have a ton of friends that are still in/retired from the armed forces that are doing very well and at 27 I am still debating to join.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #36
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder how much effort your son would put into school if you forced him to stay. Not wanting to be there will have a serious affect of how he does.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #37
jdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud of
Navy: Radioman Petty Officer Second Class
jdavis92's Tacoma Gallery
After some serious dicking around in college for a yr after highschool, I did the navy for 4yrs, then got out with some money in my pocket, the GI Bill, and the Navy College Fund. In addition I had a renewed sense of purpose and responsibility.

Being on my own and with no help from my folks (I mean I was 24 at the time) I re-enrolled in college on MY terms, not my parents. Finished my degree while working mostly fulltime.

If you believe in your son and his abilities, he'll be fine. Let him go out and be an adult.

Jeff in Flagstaff
Old 01-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #38
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Leverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp1 View Post
The truth is that once you are enlisted, you are government property. If they want, they can do whatever they like with your skills or job. Normally they don't.

You might also have him check the same career fields in other branches (Navy, Coast Guard, Army) and compare, then when you talk to the AF recruiter you have some leverage info in your back pocket...........and yes......once you are in, they can pretty much move you around as needed.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #39

Read this book

I purchased the Army version for my cousins and they both said it really helped them out;

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...=9781932714920

You and your son should read the book..........also, he should start working on his physical conditioning.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #40
virginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired SNCO
virginiamarine's Tacoma Gallery
OP, there is a lot of great advice here from those who have "been there, and done that."

I just about agree with everyone on supporting him, making smart decisions, benefits, education, etc. The Air Force is by far the better service to join from a parents perspective (no offense guys). He's not going into combat, and patrolling like the grunts are (not in the line of work you mentioned anyway). The benefits are numerous while he is in and after. Not a single person here regrets their time in the military. It builds character and provides structure which some people need. Most of all, I think service provides a "can do" attitude with real life experience most just don't have. He doesn't have to wonder if he'll be a good leader....he'll learn it, do it, and know that he is. Who cares what the downsizing is about....he'll do his 4 years and he'll decide to stay or go (lots of things change in 4 years). He won't be out of a job while he is executing his contract. And, cybersecurity is a primary focus for DoD and the Air force moving forward.

Ask any college student if they have a job lined up coming out and I'm sure many will say no and have no plan except to move back with parents with a debt. No guarantee in anything. You can't force him into anything, but you can support him and help with good decision making. just my .02 cents.