Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

My Son wants to join Air Force I dont think its good idea. Help me out.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #81
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Yes there is a small amount of uncertanty in job security. But if it comes down to it and he enlists and does 4 years and than gets out or gets forced out he will still get his GI bill and has a free college and money for housing. So that ends up saving you money in the long run. So yes it pushes his education back a couple years but he can also work towards his degree while in the service. We get $4500 a year for college for free not to mention all the CLEP/DANTES and NCPACE stuff. It makes it very easy to get a college degree in the military and for next to nothing.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #82
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
The biggest regret I have is not enlisting in the military. I planned on enlisting after I graduated high shool, but my family was 10000000% against it. I wouldn't trade the life I have now for any thing, but I feel like a coward every day for not following my heart and enlisting.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #83
elytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: I do what Goose did but not with Maverick...now I'm learning Mavericks skills too!!
Name: Travis
elytravis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTRATE View Post
The biggest regret I have is not enlisting in the military. I planned on enlisting after I graduated high school, but my family was 10000000% against it. I wouldn't trade the life I have now for any thing, but I feel like a coward every day for not following my heart and enlisting.
Coward is a strong word. I wouldn't go as far to say that. It's not that you ran away from serving your country. I'm sure you would fight if you had too and that is what's noble. Also, you can always join as you get older and if you stretch the age limit there is always the guard and reserve which can give solid jobs both enlisted and officer...but I digress. If your happy with your life you should have no regrets. As long as you didn't get this tattoo.
Attached Thumbnails
My Son wants to join Air Force I dont think its good idea. Help me out.-no-ragrets.jpg  
Old 01-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #84
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd to this thread. I've been thinking about joining the Air Force or Coast Guard since the 8th grade. Mom is against it. I was thinking of joining after I get done with college so I will have a degree to fall back on when I get out. Really haven't done a whole lot of research yet.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:59 AM   #85
Jefferdy is on a distinguished road

Army: De Oppresso Liber
Jefferdy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
Sub'd to this thread. I've been thinking about joining the Air Force or Coast Guard since the 8th grade. Mom is against it. I was thinking of joining after I get done with college so I will have a degree to fall back on when I get out. Really haven't done a whole lot of research yet.
Do your research, and talk to them early. You mentioned the two services who are the MOST selective, and contrary to popular belief, the military will not take just anyone--least of all those two services! Talked with a guy who thought he'd go ahead and finally join, only to be permanently DQ'd at MEPS b/c of a medical issue he didn't even know he had.

All I'm saying is, it's not a lark, and you may not be qualified, so start your research early--last I checked the wait was around a year to year and a half to join the CG IF you're fully qual'd. No idea about the wait time to ship to AF, I'm sure someone here can chime in.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #86
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferdy View Post
Do your research, and talk to them early. You mentioned the two services who are the MOST selective, and contrary to popular belief, the military will not take just anyone--least of all those two services! Talked with a guy who thought he'd go ahead and finally join, only to be permanently DQ'd at MEPS b/c of a medical issue he didn't even know he had.

All I'm saying is, it's not a lark, and you may not be qualified, so start your research early--last I checked the wait was around a year to year and a half to join the CG IF you're fully qual'd. No idea about the wait time to ship to AF, I'm sure someone here can chime in.

Good luck!
Thanks for the comment. I am still trying to convince my mom to let me try it out
Old 01-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #87
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
So as title says I am having hard time accepting that my son wants to drop from College after one year and join Air Force. I had been trying to reason with him but at the age of almost 19, there is not much I can do to prevent him from going so I need some help here. (topics why its not good idea to go)
Unless you think I am being overprotective parent.
Yes, you are being over protective and going a little over board. No offense, but why are you so dead set against him serving his country? I think there is an underlying issue that you are not telling us... With that said, they ARE NOT cutting the GI bill. Sounds to me like someone/something has been feeding some false info...
Old 01-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #88
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
maykevin5's Tacoma Gallery
take ROTC in college and become an officer in the airforce instead. They will pay for school cost.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #89
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
Don't rule out the Navy. My wife has three years left to retirement after having been in 20 so far (was prior enlisted for the first few). Now we are back in my home town for this last command (she is stationed at MCRD Parris Island). Having been around the Navy for most of my life, I can say that it definitely has been good and worth it. But, as in all things, it is what you make of it...
Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #90
MARANATHA !!!
TheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheGrayRider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maykevin5 View Post
take ROTC in college and become an officer in the airforce instead. They will pay for school cost.
This is the best idea in my opinion if you your kid is going into the military ... Be an officer and let them pay for your education upfront

On the other hand... Do you want your kid in Syria, Iran, or Afghanistan ?

Sounds like a serious discussion to me

My 25+ years in aviation started with the Army but I would never let my kid sign up without talking with her to make sure she understood what she was signing up for

It's a big decision that you just don't walk away from
Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #91
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
this thread would pop up again while this pops up on FB:

Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #92
4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dane
4x4Taco09's Tacoma Gallery
If he does decide to join, the younger he is, the better off believe it or not. I joined when I was 24. Tired of college, wanted to travel. Very close to my BA even before I joined, so I should of either joined right after high school or stuck college out for another year and graduated. I went through Basic just over 2 years ago. A lot of BMT has changed since then, but we have lots of new kids I can ask if he has any specific questions
Old 02-08-2014, 03:02 AM   #93
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Read the entire thread. I think it's been thoroughly covered. Chose to quote "Jefferdy" because his 5 points are right on target IMHO. Including (even especially) number 4.

The two best decisions of my life are joining the Air Force and marrying my wife.

I served 26 years active duty enlisted; and since retiring from active duty in 2009, I've worked for the Department of the Air Force as a civil service employee.

No regrets. (PERIOD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferdy View Post
If I may...

I get it, he's your kid and God knows parents want the best for their kids, right?! I joined 12/13/93 and am still in (Army, 18D)...here are my thoughts/input, FWIW:

1. SCHOOL: Talk it over with him, but don't force him to stay in school. Too many guys I grad'd HS with went to college and either promptly partied and bombed out OR got bored and lost interest, wondering WTH they were going to major in that will be interesting for the rest of their lives. Another poster mentioned that colleges let damn near ANYBODY in (dinero, anyone?), and as a result the job market is flooded with low-skill/low-experience college grads. He sounds like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Chances are he'll do well in his chosen career field and come out with a security clearance, experience, and a marketable skill that can only complement a college degree down the road.

2. AF: It's the Air Force. Cyber Security. I'm at KAF right now and I see the day-to-day for "forward deployed" AF, and it's not a horrible life, TRUST ME. Add to which, it's a 3 or 4-month deployment, IF he ever gets deployed...it's all good! And like another poster said, the AF treats their people the BEST--they even get extra money per month if they have to share billeting with any other services or live someplace the AF deems "substandard;" the pay is about $100 extra a month, no joke. Look it up.

3. COLLEGE: Some aspects of flying the coop and being away from Mama will suck, no doubt about it. Leaving home, getting yelled at, told what to do, waking up early, picking up cigarette butts, all of that is no fun. You know what it does, though? REFOCUSES dumbasses who thought that school was for suckers and a total bummer. I'd done so many pushups and road marches and been punished for other peoples idiocy that I had a newfound, lasting appreciation for college and personal freedom! So I went back after I got out of active duty and got my bachelor's degree. The level of maturity, responsibilty, and personal initiative that your son will have at school will put him head and shoulders above the rest of his classmates. To be honest, I sometimes felt like "Billy Madison" when I was sitting in class, as being older and (hopefully) wiser puts a new filter on life and priorities...and my classmates just weren't there yet.

4. GIRLS: You asked, "Now in the case My oldest decides to go. Whats the good gift for him ( except pre-paid 1 year Fedex delivery of mom's cooking) ?" A pallet of condoms and a stern talking-to about not hooking up with/marrying strippers, barracks ho's, or female coworkers with a divorce under their belts already. I know it sounds crass and harsh, but I have seen SOOOO many young servicemembers make the same mistakes over the course of my career I could practically set my watch by the regularity of it. Tell him to keep his eyes open and his wits about him and enjoy the unique camaraderie that exists among those serving in uniform.

5. JOINING: Find someone who has served/is serving, preferably in the same branch (Air Force), to help with the recruiting process. I am certain someone here on TW would be more than willing to lend a hand and help sort through the rigamarole, jargon, paperwork, and physical preparation that lies ahead. The help from that/those person/s will be invaluable and assist in starting your son off on the right foot/career path. I wish I had had someone to help me, but since I didn't my first duty station was FORT DRUM, NEW YORK!

There are certainly worse roads to travel, and your son will likely emerge a better version of himself. This is only my humble opinion, YMMV. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:45 AM   #94
Smooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud of
Marines: 0331 / 0341
Name: G
Smooth Operator's Tacoma Gallery
Do 4 or 6 years, let him get out and get a job with the Government as an independent contractor. Got out 6 years ago, never looked back aside from the money I was making in 2008 vs now.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #95
MJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Mickey
MJR's Tacoma Gallery
You got him where he is today. By him making decisions that affect his life shows you did an outstanding job. The AIr Force can take him to the next level.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:23 AM   #96
Son of Baconator
unentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FCC(SW)
Name: Jacob
unentered's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to unentered Send a message via Skype™ to unentered
I'm going to join in on this bandwagon too.

I was in the exact same position your son is in about 16 years ago.

One night when I was in high school I was having dinner with extended family. One of my favorite uncles brought up the question of what I was thinking of doing after high school. I mentioned a few colleges that I was pondering, and then said, or maybe join the Navy. My father stood up from the table and point blank said, "You are not joining the Navy!"

So, on I went to college, a decent private business college near my home town. I was going for Computer Information Systems, but wouldn't see any actual computer programming classes until my Junior year. I got decent grades my first semester and I enjoyed about two of my classes. Second semester came around and I didn't even bother going to my "Business Math" class because it started at 7:00 am and I didn't even care for it. I drank and partied a lot, and had a few dorm girls chasing me. I really didn't enjoy school, and even though I had a lot of financial aide, grants AND scholarships, I didn't enjoy paying for it either.

So, I talked to each of my parents, separately as they were now separated, and told them of my dilemma and my plan. I was 18 at this point, so I could do what I wanted. My mother laid the "you're going to go away and get killed" speech on me. My father just said, "I think that's a good idea."

I enlisted, went to basic training, all my schools, reported to a ship, deployed, and loved it.

I've done the recruiting thing, didn't like it, have gone back to two more ships, and now work at a training command. I'll hit 15 years in April. I'm glad I joined, and wish I'd've joined sooner.

The military IS NOT for everyone. I work with some people that I wish would've never joined, ha.

That's just my own experience. What branch, and what job classification is up to the enlistee. Some people WANT to be Marines, some people WANT to be Airmen, some Sailors, some Soldiers, and what have you. Let them do what they want to do. My next door neighbor's son wants to join the corps, she is pushing him Coast Guard, but doesn't really know much about any of the branches. If he does end up joining, I almost guarantee he'll be wearing that eagle globe and anchor.

Yes the military as a whole is "slimming down." That being said, they're not going to recruit and/or classify personnel into jobs that they are downsizing in. If there are overmanned jobs that they are converting people out of, or letting people go from, they're not going to up and hire more people in that field. I hope that makes sense. I know the Navy for one has made a round turn on letting people go, because in the last three or four years they let a lot of good Sailors go, realizing this they've made better options for Sailors to convert to other fields and stay in the Navy.

Your son is making a good choice, as are you looking out for his best interest.

Best of luck, and if you have any questions, even though I'm no airman I may be able to shed some light on some things.

Jake
FCC(SW) USN AD
Old 02-08-2014, 05:39 AM   #97
little812 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Jonathan
little812's Tacoma Gallery
E5 with 7 years in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Thanks guys, This is very helpful.
From what he told me he wants to go to cyber security. However, I dont know if that is what he wants to do, or he is just saying that to put me at ease.
He wants to serve country, and wants to help out. He insists that afterwards (4 years ) he is going to go back to school and Air Force will pay for his degree (I doubt that.)

Its all fine, but I think if he got career first than joined Air Force, at least he would have something to fall back if his Air Force experiment does not work out. My biggest gripe is that me and my wife sacrificed a lot to get him where he is.
We on purpose moved, and bought tiny home but in great school district just to give kids better start. I passed on a lot of jobs just to stay were we are. Here in my mind he is throwing that life opportunity away, and I hate to be the one to say "I told you so".
I heard about cuts in the army, and I heard about promises made by recruiters that never materialized. I just dont want him to toss sure thing for something that may or may not be good. His biggest claim is that GI bill will pay for his school later. I don't know how much and I heard different stories about GI bill paying for only portion of school.
Also I dont think he is material for an army, I am from ex Eastern Block and army was not picnic so unless you had some balls and tough mindset, you were not surviving well, never mind benefiting.
I am an E-5 with almost 7 years in, I went to college before and finished up my degree while in on the AF's dime.

You guys can decide for yourselves, but since you want input, here you go:

1) Join with a guaranteed job, wait for the job he wants! It will pay off in the end.

2) Dont let the recruiter pressure you into any decisions or make guarantees, have it in writing and make a couple copies.

3) Expect to a number, not just a person, like a previous posted added, it is now a ONE mistake AF. Those who have a good morale character, a solid work ethic and are able to show common sense will thrive.

4) The skills he learns as soon as he steps foot in Lackland will follow him for the rest of his life. He will be more marketable in whatever career he chooses after the military

5) He will have a chance to pursue higher education while active and use his GI Bill once out, pending completing his contract in good standing.

6) As a father of two boys, i will not push them in any direction for post high school but i will unconditionally support college or the military.

Just my $.02. PM me if you or your son would like to talk one on one, I don't sugar coat anything and will bring real experiences.

Jon
Old 05-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #98
t64mech is on a distinguished road
Marines: Retired
Name: Rick
t64mech's Tacoma Gallery
My .02 on this subject-

Went to college first to be an Airframes and Powerplants Mech, bottom fell out out of aviation due to high gas prices (early 80's) so I joined the Marine Corps and ended up working on helicopters (we're not all grunts).

Retired and now work at a power generation plant as an operator/maintainer on gas turbine engines pulling in 6 figures, my choice to work here, fits in with my training both as an A&P and from the military and I enjoy it. I could have gotten a job as and A&P but it would have meant moving and didn't fit in with my wife starting a new job/position.

As for this remark-
"The USAF is the most high-tech service (valuable training and experience) and they treat their peeps better than any other service... (Everyone else - bring on the attacks) - If this is true, why did my military schooling which was run by the Marine Corps have Air Force personnel in the class?

A number of the military training schools train service members from other branches of the military as I pointed out above. The knowledge you get out of your initial skill training is what you put into it during training/schooling and afterwards. Ask to go to advance schools to further your knowledge which leads to advancement. A majority of the military tech schools count towards college credit earned.

All services are cutting back due to draw downs and you have to make yourself standout above your peers if you want to go beyond your initial enlistment. You reap what you sow.

Is the military a dangerous place to be? Sure is, but so are a thousand other jobs out there as well as any freeway at rush hour when everyone is doing 70+ MPH and some knothead more concerned about answering their cell phone then paying attention to the road and doesn't see traffic slowing. I lost more people over 30 years to traffic accidents then combat.

Is one service better then the other, everyone has pro and cons about their service or another service, it's been that way for years and will continue to be that way for a long time - nature of the beast.

I say let your son join the Air Force, if he plays his cards right he'll come out the other side in 4 years a better person with more marketable skills and Uncle Sam will pay for his education.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #99
Droptopfox is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 368 AFRS
Droptopfox's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently an AF Recruiter in Las Vegas and would be happy to answer any questions the OP or anyone has about current recruiting efforts. I can tell you that we are being extremely picky with who we are letting in right now. The wait times to get in are more dependent on what the Air Force needs and what the applicants are qualified and willing to do. Each zone has their own policies on how many jobs an applicant has to list and how they are chosen. As a Recruiter I tend to favor the applicants who've done their research and understand how the AF can benefit them, regardless of which job they get in to. I'm in no way saying I want people that are willing to do any job but rather those that understand working for this company can benefit them in many ways other than just learning a trade. The main reason I focus on this is because I know that the AF is a large company and will act the same way that any other business does to succeed. When a company looses money, they stop or slow hiring. When they hire, they only hire for what they need, not what the public wants. With that understanding, I encourage my applicants to have a backup plan and do their research when it comes to jobs using unbiased material and sites (about.com is one of my favorites). Most times only 1-2 jobs on a persons list are what we consider bookable, or something that we have seen more than once in the last fiscal year, come down the pike for us to give. A lot people bad mouth the process and recruiters without actually understanding what the AF actually needs or is asking of its Recruiters. Are there shady Recruiters out there? You betcha! On the other hand, not all of us are like that. I try to empower my applicants so they can make a knowledgeable, life changing decision. If any one has specific questions or wants to simply cross reference information. Feel free to ask. Oh yeah, I've been a are Recruiter for two years now, been in the AF for nine. BTW My parents didn't agree with my decision at first either.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:53 AM   #100
seanpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightseanpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightseanpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightseanpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightseanpatrick is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: ATC
Name: sean
seanpatrick's Tacoma Gallery
Im separating in about three weeks, Ive been AD AF for almost 7 years (extension for deployment). I have zero regrets, its been a rad ride. Just now finishing up my second "deployment" (this ones to the Deid). Drive him to the MEPS station, kick him out of the truck and tell him you will see him when he is all grown up, or something like that..