Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

My Son wants to join Air Force I dont think its good idea. Help me out.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #121
Mmmmm... Beer
14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MACS(SW) ret
Name: Shawn
14TACO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Relax, it's just the Air Force. It's not like he's joining the military.

But seriously, it can't hurt him. Only good will come of it as long as he takes an active part in his personal and professional development.
Funny... I get the same thing about the Navy. Now, I don't much care mind you, I am retired so I am collecting my pension with a smile. However... when I served ON THE GROUND IN IRAQ, there were Air Force personnel there, too.

Just saying. Oh, and the people who don't score high enough on the ASVAB to join the AF or Navy have to join the Army.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #122
EODwick is a name known to allEODwick is a name known to allEODwick is a name known to allEODwick is a name known to allEODwick is a name known to allEODwick is a name known to all

Air Force: Explosive Ordnance Disposal
Name: Eddie
EODwick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
HA! My outside the wire combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan beg to differ...

But real talk. Let him do it, i was in the same situation (like many others on here) college for 2 years, didn't really pay attention or care and was wasting money. Joined the military after blowing my scholarships. Best decision ever! Now 7 years later, I have my Bachelor's, experienced things I never would've as a civilian, travelled the world, and made life long friends.

My parents were not real supportive of the idea, at first, but now are my biggest supporters. I'd reccommend it.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #123
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODwick View Post

But real talk. Let him do it, i was in the same situation (like many others on here) college for 2 years, didn't really pay attention or care and was wasting money. Joined the military after blowing my scholarships. Best decision ever! Now 7 years later, I have my Bachelor's, experienced things I never would've as a civilian, travelled the world, and made life long friends.

My parents were not real supportive of the idea, at first, but now are my biggest supporters. I'd reccommend it.
hell, i was inside the wire in southern Iraq and had rocket attacks almost daily hitting CE, motor pool, tent city, etc. the army guys had better lodging and facilities than the AF did.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #124
tig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
tig1's Tacoma Gallery
My mother talked me out of joining the Canadian Army when I was 20,now 52 I still regret it every day.He needs to try at least.No what if's...I have too many in my life.

later tig1
Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #125
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODwick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
hell, i was inside the wire in southern Iraq and had rocket attacks almost daily hitting CE, motor pool, tent city, etc. the army guys had better lodging and facilities than the AF did.
Haha you guys, you know this isn't what the man is wanting to hear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig1 View Post
My mother talked me out of joining the Canadian Army when I was 20,now 52 I still regret it every day.He needs to try at least.No what if's...I have too many in my life.

later tig1
OP, this is a good example of what could happen. Having a life long regret eat at you everyday.
And I'm curious as to what the latest is with your son and his decision, and what your current thoughts are after hearing all the input from everyone so far?
Old 09-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #126
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

But seriously, it can't hurt him. Only good will come of it as long as he takes an active part in his personal and professional development.

LMAO
Old 09-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #127
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
After I graduated highschool in 2002 I went to college for a year and decided that it just wasnt' for me at the time so, I talked with a few marine recruiters about enlisting and while I was still deciding on it (leaning more towards it every day) I broke my wrists and was in casts, bone stimulation, therapy, etc and the only thing that worked in the end was surgery and now I have 2 screws in my wrists. By time it was all said and done it was 2006. While I was in physical therapy I talked to a lot of friends who joined the AF and they were talking about how good it is compared to other branches. They told me that you get treated better, better benefits, and get paid more. The money aspect is what caught my attention (I was 22 at the time and still living with my parents, lol). I know the AF is being very picky with who they take due to downsizing so if this is what he wants then he needs to commit 100% in basic and in tech school. Failing a certain area in tech school can be a reason for him to be recommended for early discharge or could deem him ineligible to re-enlist at the end of his enlistment. When it comes to picking a job, make sure it is what he wants and know what it entails. My #1 pick was x-ray technician (radiologist) but when I went in on 2% of recruits a year were picked for it. My #2 pick was tactical aircraft maintainer. I picked that because my recuiter hyped it up by saying I'll be the one responsible for that jet, meaning that if it broke then I would tell people what is wrong and they would fix it. He also told me that every time the jet flew then I would by flying with it, so I told him that's what I want! Here I am 8 years later and I still don't tell people what to do, lol. I'm the one that turns the wrenches and fixes the jets. I still haven't gotten to fly in one either. Looking back on it, I probably would have picked more medical jobs or put firefighter as my #2 pick instead of #3. Overall though, I do like my job, I like working with my hands and the people I work with. The flightline is completely different from the rest of the AF. But, I also have my days where I get pissed knowing that someone in finance is working 8 hours a day with a 30min-1hour lunch break, working indoors in the a/c and heat and they're getting paid the same as me who is working 12-14 hours a day, outdoors in all elements of weather either freezing my balls off or sweating my ass off.

Just make sure that if he enlists that it is something he really wants to do. Joining any branch of service is a huge commitment and you have to be able to live up to that commitment. Hopefully he'll be able to get a job in the AF doing what he likes and what he would like to do on the outside world.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #128
misteroldschool is on a distinguished road
Air Force: comm
misteroldschool's Tacoma Gallery
I went to college for 5 years then joined, I never felt like I was making progress while at school, it was just the same bs spinning my tires the entire time. In the AF I actually feel like im going somewhere with my life, something I wish I would have done at the age of 19 like your son, just make sure he is educated about it and researches all of the jobs available.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #129
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by misteroldschool View Post
I went to college for 5 years then joined, I never felt like I was making progress while at school, it was just the same bs spinning my tires the entire time. In the AF I actually feel like im going somewhere with my life, something I wish I would have done at the age of 19 like your son, just make sure he is educated about it and researches all of the jobs available.
Welcome to TW. Thanks for your service.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #130
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
welcome...what AFSC in comm?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:43 AM   #131
misteroldschool is on a distinguished road
Air Force: comm
misteroldschool's Tacoma Gallery
3d1x3 RF trans, loving every day of it
Old 09-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #132
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
3d1x3 RF trans, loving every day of it
former 3C2x1/3D1x2 here. either going back in enlisted or officer in the air guard sometime shortly when the masters is complete.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #133
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
So, did the OP's son join or not?
Old 09-28-2014, 04:59 AM   #134
JPM OEF x3 MP is on a distinguished road

Army: MP Officer
JPM OEF x3 MP's Tacoma Gallery
If there is a "safe" service, AF or Navy are the way to go. AF and Navy do a great job of giving their members training for the future.

Be proud and let him make his choice. Better than regrets later and the blame game.

I joined Army about 23 years ago. Goes fast and very happy with the choice. There are difficult times for the member and the family but is an honorable life!