1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Son wants to join Air Force I dont think its good idea. Help me out.

Discussion in 'Military' started by BlueT, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jan 13, 2014 at 6:54 AM
    BlueT

BlueT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    So as title says I am having hard time accepting that my son wants to drop from College after one year and join Air Force. I had been trying to reason with him but at the age of almost 19, there is not much I can do to prevent him from going so I need some help here. (topics why its not good idea to go)
    Unless you think I am being overprotective parent.

2. Jan 13, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    What wrong with letting him join the armed forces if thats what he wants to do?

3. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    I say let him go. College isn't for everyone.

If thats what he wants to do with his life, you should support that decision.

File IFR likes this.
  4. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:03 AM
    tacofox

tacofox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    MO
    Vehicle:
    11 reg cab 4x4
    I'm an e3 cop in the air force and even tho my job sucks I still enjoy it the air force is great but there are a lot of catches its a one strike af now if he gets in even the smallest trouble he's kicked out most of the time why does he want to join first off? Make sure he knows what its all about this year they are kicking out 25000 airmen from e1 to e9 they don't play around any more when it comes to budget cuts. Their is also word that they are cutting TA what allows you to go to classes in the af for free. Lots going on in the air force right now and lastly don't let him be a cop and if his recruiter says he has a job for him and he has to take it your son can say no and wait for another job iv been in for over a year and a half now and I enjoy it hope this helps out if you have more questions just ask

Fritzheimer likes this.
  5. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    Im in. Its all about personal choices. I think it's great on him if he's wanting to serve his country it takes a certain type of person and good morale background, set of values, sounds like you raised him right. I would ask what his reasons are. Currently the AF is in a massive slim down, with a plan to eliminate 10% of the force this year alone and more to come, announced by Secretary of Air Force last year, so if its job security I would say he should reconsider. Although tuition assistance has been on the chopping block and was gone for a 3 month period it remains in tact and has allowed me to finish both my associates and my bachelor's this time next year, allowing me to reserve my GI bill for my kids or spouse later down the road. Healthcare is ok, but looks to be the same now that the affordable healthcare act has taken over. Depending on his AFSC he will almost most definately deploy at least once though it may not be a combat zone, but in support of. If you keep you nose clean, work hard and do what your supposed to (volunteer in community, self improvement i.e. school and do well at your job) there are plenty of opportunities to advance. I would steer him away from the flightline as that has the least in job satisfaction and seems to get alot of cross trainees from that career field. Advise him NOT to go open anything into basic, that means he gets whatever job they offer him and he may hate the next four years of his life or six. Some AFSC's just have better people in them and either foster success or inhibit it. I got lucky and though Weather Forecasting isnt my fortae I'm decent at it and good at testing, etc (made staff first time). The first 2 years are a bit hard, dorm life, pay isnt very good and your the lowest on the totem pole, but it gets better. I left college and a good job to join and sometimes I regret it but I also think in other ways the Air Force made me the man I am today. It's not the worst life decision he can make and is very honorable just make sure he does the research, talks to active duty members from different careers and takes his time. Im open if he wants/has any questions as well as yourself.

Fritzheimer likes this.
  6. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I think convincing him to not do what he wants is more of a bad idea than him doing something you don't want him to. Would you prefer to waste money on a college education he's not committed to? Better to drop out now rather than later. Let him live the life he wants to. Not the life you think he should. Your efforts will be better spent supporting him, not trying to convince him why it's a bad idea.

Besides, he's choosing to serve our country. It's not like he's dropping out to join the circus.

7. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    hmcclung

hmcclung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    14 Superwhite S/C DCSB TRD OR
    I put my parents through almost the same thing(2 years into college tho). It was hard for them to accept that at that point in my life college was not a priority and the only thing that kept me in school was the ROTC program I was enrolled in. Once I joined, I then began to mature and become more disciplined in my daily life and thought processes and everything just seemed to fit together more. Now I'm out of the military (retired) and back in biomedical engineering school with tuition paid at a +$40k university.

8. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    It's not a good idea... it's a GREAT idea! Air Force will teach employable skills, work ethic, money for college, they encourage continued education, and they send their officers to get shot at:D I use skills I learned 20+ yrs ago in the Air Force nearly every day.

9. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I hate to say this, but I think that you may be on the overprotective side. Of course we don't know you, or your son. We don't know his ethics, his attitude, or his demeanor. I am sure you didn't do everything YOUR parents told you to do. It is called growing up and learning. Trying to make your kids decisions for them once they turn 18 is usually always a bad idea. I got into an argument with my son when he was 18 about his future, and what he should have done. He made his own choices though. Now he is almost 24. He is married, and they just had my first grandson. I almost never talk to him because he still resents me for what I suggested he do. I haven't met my grandson yet.

Don't try to force him to do ANYTHING. I would suggest getting together with him, ASKING him why he wants to join, then calmly discuss the pros and cons. Ultimately it is HIS decision.

Ugly Betty and ebbs15 like this.
  10. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    Nothing wrong with it at all. I was in for 12 years and no regrets but just make sure he goes into something he can use when he gets out. I think all kids should do atleast 1-2 years in the military out of high school.

11. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Its the Airforce. Its not like he would be rolling with infantry. Let him do what he wants, if college isn't his thing yet. He'll probably get his degree while in the service anyways.

NeedmoreTaco and ebbs15 like this.
  12. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:48 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I do kinda agree there. There is a country (Israel I think) that has ALL kids, male and female, serve around 2 years in the military. Its mandatory.

13. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:50 AM
    HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8
    Your boy wants to serve his country and you should support it 100%. You should be proud of him...

LoboLoco337 and ebbs15 like this.
  14. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:56 AM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Thanks guys, This is very helpful.
    From what he told me he wants to go to cyber security. However, I dont know if that is what he wants to do, or he is just saying that to put me at ease.
    He wants to serve country, and wants to help out. He insists that afterwards (4 years ) he is going to go back to school and Air Force will pay for his degree (I doubt that.)

Its all fine, but I think if he got career first than joined Air Force, at least he would have something to fall back if his Air Force experiment does not work out. My biggest gripe is that me and my wife sacrificed a lot to get him where he is.
    We on purpose moved, and bought tiny home but in great school district just to give kids better start. I passed on a lot of jobs just to stay were we are. Here in my mind he is throwing that life opportunity away, and I hate to be the one to say "I told you so".
    I heard about cuts in the army, and I heard about promises made by recruiters that never materialized. I just dont want him to toss sure thing for something that may or may not be good. His biggest claim is that GI bill will pay for his school later. I don't know how much and I heard different stories about GI bill paying for only portion of school.
    Also I dont think he is material for an army, I am from ex Eastern Block and army was not picnic so unless you had some balls and tough mindset, you were not surviving well, never mind benefiting.

15. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    As far as the GI bill, I can vouch for that as I am currently using it. I just got out of the Navy 3 months ago and I'm attending school now. The VA is paying 100% of my $40,000 tuition, as well as paying me directly $1300 a month for housing while I'm in school. It really is a sweet gig even tho the payments don't always come exactly when they say they are. But hey... It's the VA lol

16. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    ive been in the AF almost 6 years now, and i can say that joining right now is probably not a good decision. they are rolling out 25,000 airmen over the next 5 years, so there is just no job security in the AF (or any branch for that matter) right now.

joining the AF was probably the best decision i ever made as far as getting my life up and running, but there is so much uncertainty with any government job right now that i personally would steer clear of it.

as you stated, he is 19 so theres not going to be a whole lot talking sense into him, but just voice your concerns and hes going to have to base his decisions off of the facts. now is just a bad time to join the military with all of the government drawdowns.

im not trying to give you advice on being a father, so please dont take this the wrong way, but you should still fully support your sons decision on whatever he ends up doing. the AF has been a great career for me so far and hopefully it continues to be great, if not greater. he just needs to know what hes going to be getting himself into

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  17. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    From the sounds of it you won't be the one saying "I told you so" he will.

18. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Thats my fear, he gets there and with all the cuts incoming he ends up with out job and with out school. Right now I can help him to go through school, help pay tuition, books etc... in 5 years his brother will be going to school than his another brother, than his sisters.. So if he goes to army and that does not work out, I am going to have hard time helping him.

Yes I will be very proud, but that does not mean I am going to be happy. I was hoping he gets his degree and he will be set. Now we are talking about at least 7 year delay. I still think there is recruiter somewhere that put all that crazy ideas in his head.
    I am going to tell him about cuts, and see what he says. Is there a link I can reference ?

19. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I spent 6 years of my life in the USAF, and while I was in there I didn't realize it, but it was a very good experience. Many years later, I look back an think of how glad I am that I made that decision when I was 19.

To each his own.

20. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    try this for a basic understanding

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDispl...management-programs-to-reduce-force-size.aspx

Products Discussed in

To Top