Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Shipout Date...

Old 03-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #61
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
When I saw this thread come back I thought I was going to see an update from the OP, 05 Taquito.

I often wonder what happens to these gung ho kids that write these, "want to", "going to be", posts.
Tell ya what happened to me.

Doc at MEPS said the he wont even see me.

So, technically I was never DQ'd. Going to go to school and hopefully able to do ROTC. Not sure if I want to do Army or Navy (Marine option.)
Old 03-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #62
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USS John Paul Jones; Gas Turbine Technician Electrical 2nd Class (SW)
MooseTX82's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTaco10 View Post
Hey I'm thinking about joining the marines. Just talked to a recruiter and took a practive asvab, probably going to enlist this august. Any advice anyone can impart to me?
Well, the fact that you can't spell practice states that you picked the right branch of the military!

I KID I KID!!! Just poking a bit of fun at my brothers in arms in the USMC. Good luck with whatever you choose IrishTaco.

Regards,
USN
Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #63
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey I'm thinking about joining the marines. Just talked to a recruiter and took a practive asvab, probably going to enlist this august. Any advice anyone can impart to me?
1. Just do it.

2. It is what it is.

3. You get out of it what you put into it.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #64
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
Tell ya what happened to me.

Doc at MEPS said the he wont even see me.

So, technically I was never DQ'd. Going to go to school and hopefully able to do ROTC. Not sure if I want to do Army or Navy (Marine option.)
Unless you are missing an eye or have a wooden leg don't tell MEPS anything. Let them find it if they can.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #65
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Unless you are missing an eye or have a wooden leg don't tell MEPS anything. Let them find it if they can.
I did one semester of Army ROTC (Spring 09) and then tried to enlist Summer 09. Before I went to the recruiter, I asked the Maj in charge of recruitment or whatever to write a paper that I could send down with all my other paperwork saying that I spent a semester doing PT and whatnot and that I showed no signs of having been injured. He didnt write me the letter, but he did say that he could get me a waiver if I went the ROTC route.

I'm going to be leaning on what he said to get me in (albeit in a different BN)
Old 03-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #66
Duff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to behold
Marines: Ammunition Technician, Marine Corps Security Force Regiment
Name: Sean
Duff Man's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Duff Man
Takes balls to join the Marines during war. Good luck at boot camp.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #67
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They asked me if I had any broken bones. I said no. They asked me if I ever had chicken pox. I said no. They asked if I had ever been to a hospital. I said no. They asked me what color my eyes were. I said no.

True story.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #69
IrishTaco10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
IrishTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the help guys. I have 55 college credits which im hoping will allow me to leave boot as a lance corporal or at least a pfc. the recruiter said the same to me about past injuries as far as meps goes. aside from TW, every former marine is telling me that enlisting is a bad idea. granted, most of these guys are my parents friends and served in vietnam...
Old 03-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #70
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas05taco View Post
Boot camp was a piece of cake.
boot camp cake was pretty good too. its nice to get ITed after chow too
Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #71
SantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: EAS
Name: Logan
SantaCruz'n's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck man, I get out of the Corps in 57 days!!!! I had an awesome time with NO regrets. Just expect the first two years to be a bit different from what you normally expect. When you feel like your life sucks and question yourself why you joined, just know it will pass and its all worth it in the end. Expect to do what doesn't make sense and could be better your way. There will be a time when you make the decisions and the other Marines will think there way is better. Thats the industry standard in the Corps. Again, Good luck and just do what your told.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #72
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks for the help guys. I have 55 college credits which im hoping will allow me to leave boot as a lance corporal or at least a pfc. the recruiter said the same to me about past injuries as far as meps goes. aside from TW, every former marine is telling me that enlisting is a bad idea. granted, most of these guys are my parents friends and served in vietnam...
With 55 credits you should start out as E2.

At least thats what the recruiter told me (I had 59) Then 6mo after you earn the Title you get promoted to E3.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #73
IrishTaco10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
IrishTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruz'n View Post
Good luck man, I get out of the Corps in 57 days!!!! I had an awesome time with NO regrets. Just expect the first two years to be a bit different from what you normally expect. When you feel like your life sucks and question yourself why you joined, just know it will pass and its all worth it in the end. Expect to do what doesn't make sense and could be better your way. There will be a time when you make the decisions and the other Marines will think there way is better. Thats the industry standard in the Corps. Again, Good luck and just do what your told.
Awesome! I bet your excited as hell. What mos's did they have you do? Anything i should try to get/avoid?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #74
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 Taquito View Post
I finally got an earlier ship out date for boot camp. I leave for MCRD San Diego Aug 3rd instead of December . My MOS is infantry ... I'm gonna be a Marine.

Good luck recruit... Semper Fidelis!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #75
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hey man,

Congratz. on getting in. Now you have to earn the right and respect to be called a U.S. Marine. Until the day you actually have the EGA in your hand, pls. don't mark yourself as being a Marine yet.

From now until you ship out, PT, stay outta trouble, study the General Orders & rank structure, and show up for pool functions.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #76
Rainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0331/1391
Rainman998's Tacoma Gallery
Just practice walking as fast as you can eating as fast as you can and getting dressed and undressed as fast as you can. PT and more PT.

Ears!......Open Sir....
Eyeballs!.....Click....................sorry flashbacks of MCRD
Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #78
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
You're not "going to be a Marine." You may become a Marine, it's not definite. That being said, if and when you get to SOI, you'll find it tougher than boot camp. And the fleet will rock your fucking world. Listen to your team leaders. You'll be fine.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #79
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
You're not "going to be a Marine." You may become a Marine, it's not definite. That being said, if and when you get to SOI, you'll find it tougher than boot camp. And the fleet will rock your fucking world. Listen to your team leaders. You'll be fine.
haha! SOOOOO true.

We aren't trying to scare you - but rather, prepare you... You have no idea what you are in for. WALK a lot... and if you have an outdoor pack - pack it full of heavy shit and start walking... Will help you get used to humps before you get there.

And for God's sake - don't get drunk at the hotel the night before you get on the plane/train/bus to go there... HYDRATE as much as you can! And get some sleep. Once you get there - you'll be up for pretty much 2-3 days straight.

P.S. And when you are in processing and they ask you about drugs or anything like that... Zip the lips beyond what you've told the recruiter and what you already have on your paperwork. I saw a lot of recruits get sent home the first day because of that.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #80
Motivator

Boot camp PT is a joke. SOI is where the physical is. Real Marine Corps. training starts in the fleet!