Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

I WANNA JOIN THE MILITARY

Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #21
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
If you are going to join, have a plan. You know you are going to do six years so do research on things like technical skill advancement (hotel-8 for mechanics, recruiting, drill, career counselor, etc), the availability of bases for you to be stationed at based on your MOS/Rate, how fast you can advance while gaining the knowledge necessary to be a leader. No matter your chosen branch, the point remains the same, you are there to lead the men and women that come after you.

From bias I say go Army, but go active duty. Reserves/National Guard are great, but when you make the military your life, your profession, and embody everything that goes along with it, you become a more diverse leader faster. Do your homework and know what you're getting into. Of course there is a lot of bullshit, but most of it you'll have to find out on your own and allow it to be a test of your personal fortitude. The Army will challenge you in a multitude of things and will force education down your throat. All they want you to do it follow when told, lead when your not, and gain the necessary tools to help yourself succeed and those around you at the same time.

For what it's worth, my family was against it but supportive. Four years later they will admit it was the best thing I ever did. Four years of service, got promoted every year (left the service as a Sergeant) and have a record of service I am proud of for only doing such a short time. In the words of Nike's motto for the last billion years, just do it.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #22
Poe is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
Poe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog777 View Post
If you are going to join, have a plan. You know you are going to do six years so do research on things like technical skill advancement (hotel-8 for mechanics, recruiting, drill, career counselor, etc), the availability of bases for you to be stationed at based on your MOS/Rate, how fast you can advance while gaining the knowledge necessary to be a leader. No matter your chosen branch, the point remains the same, you are there to lead the men and women that come after you.

From bias I say go Army, but go active duty. Reserves/National Guard are great, but when you make the military your life, your profession, and embody everything that goes along with it, you become a more diverse leader faster. Do your homework and know what you're getting into. Of course there is a lot of bullshit, but most of it you'll have to find out on your own and allow it to be a test of your personal fortitude. The Army will challenge you in a multitude of things and will force education down your throat. All they want you to do it follow when told, lead when your not, and gain the necessary tools to help yourself succeed and those around you at the same time.

For what it's worth, my family was against it but supportive. Four years later they will admit it was the best thing I ever did. Four years of service, got promoted every year (left the service as a Sergeant) and have a record of service I am proud of for only doing such a short time. In the words of Nike's motto for the last billion years, just do it.
I think doing it will change me for the better, and willl be one of the best things i could ever do for myself and my family.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #23
Poe is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
Poe's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been looking some into the national guard, i found two jobs that interest me.. infantry or 88m. i think driving the trucks would interest me alot and seems pretty neat. still doing research
Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #24
slingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Matt
slingshot5r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe View Post
Ive been looking some into the national guard, i found two jobs that interest me.. infantry or 88m. i think driving the trucks would interest me alot and seems pretty neat. still doing research
neither are fun
Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #25
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe View Post
Yes sir, i have been thinking about this for about 6 months but my parents are completely against it. I want to do something for the country, its just hard to make a decision when everyone tells me not to do it, but someone has to do it. I think that it will help me in life psychically and mentally, and sorry about caps didn't know it was on. I might decide to change it into a career or just do 6 years. I just want a different opinion than a recruiter
Don't let the debbie downers change your mind. If you join and if you play your cards right, you'll be looking at the people of your past and you'll wonder how they have wasted their lives and haven't accomplished much.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #26
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Don't let the debbie downers change your mind. If you join and if you play your cards right, you'll be looking at the people of your past and you'll wonder how they have wasted their lives and haven't accomplished much.
That's true, I bet all of us who are serving or have served, can relate to coming home on leave in many cases. And being like dam I'm glad I joined and got outta here or seeing people from the past and thinking how they haven't seen anything and are still doing the same thing etc.

OP that's one thing about the military, it will get you away and open your eyes to a bigger world.