1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Orders to Japan, need advice.

Discussion in 'Military' started by KoreAmJosh, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Mar 4, 2014 at 4:29 AM
    KoreAmJosh

KoreAmJosh [OP] Doing the "Dirty Deid"

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    Stock
    Well I need opinions, i'm deployed at the moment and was looking forward to coming home to my 2014 DCSB Sr5 4x4 V6 s/t. I bought it before I knew about this deployment but I didn't mind, i've spent free time in the desert shopping for parts to put into it. I roll into work last night and I find out I have orders to Japan. Bringing the truck is not an option, I owe 17,000 on this truck that was stickered at 31,000. It's only got around 2,000 miles but now i'm befuddled on what to do with it. Leave it in storage for 3 years or sell it? I'm getting home in July and leave in October, giving me roughly 3 months to inprocess, visit family, sell it/store it, and outprocess again to PCS. If I need to sell it, what's the best way to go about doing that? What should I try and sell it for, the trucks essentially new. I left it with my shop back home (I'm in aircraft maintenance), they start it regularly and drive it a minuscule amount. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Mar 4, 2014 at 4:36 AM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    9" of Super Bro lift
    Many years ago I shipped out to Germany for about 2 years. Left my old Z28 with my father. He was the only one I trusted to run it around a bit. He would drive it about once a week & stored it in his garage. Hopefully you have someone trustworthy. But it still sucks to make payments on a vehicle that you don't have.

3. Mar 7, 2014 at 11:05 PM
    Tmill

Tmill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Black DCLB
    Here's my take on it. If you leave it in the garage/with dad it's only going to go down in value. I say sell it. Put the extra cash away for the DD you will want/need in Japan then you would have a few years to put away cash for a new one (3rd gen by then )

4. Mar 7, 2014 at 11:43 PM
    seanboy

seanboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport
    Sell it if you can, Its a tough choice but once your orders are up in Japan, who knows where you will get sent to next. Especially with the way things are right now with the world.
    I would put it up as soon as you get back to 'Merica! :D Best of luck and stay safe!

5. Mar 9, 2014 at 1:37 AM
    mclovin

mclovin chicka chicka, yeah!

Member:
    Biloxi
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DC Barcelona Red
    Prev, 04 Xtra Cab Prerunner, 12 SR5 4x4 AC
    that blows man, im in the same situation. i just got orders to kunsan and i have no idea where my follow on is... i have put in for nothing but OS locations and with that i know that i should part ways with my pride and joy... i have to agree with the rest of these guys, let it go. more than likely you will be able to get what you owe from the dealer... if you are looking for a little more compensation, go the private route. good luck in japan!

6. Mar 10, 2014 at 12:47 AM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    I bought my truck about a month after I got back from Afghanistan. About a week after I bought it I got orders to Kunsan (where I am now). Just before I flew out, I drove from Offutt to my parents place in Atlanta so my family could watch my truck and my pup. I don't have a follow on right now. If I go overseas, I'll use my COT leave to take my truck to a port and have it shipped wherever I'm going. If I go stateside again, I'll drive it wherever I go (Including Alaska, which is my dream assignment).

Point is, it's possible to keep it if you want.

I chose to keep mine because you can take it almost anywhere in the world. Plus, when I take my mid-tour leave I'll have my truck to drive around Atlanta and I am planning on taking her and my pup on a two week/~5k mile camping tour of the US seeing friends in different parts of the country. Also, my truck will only be a year and a half old when I get it back with ~17000 miles and mostly paid off... Just my experience and .02

Last bit of advice, if you do keep it make sure that you trust the person you let watch it. I had to send my dad a power of attorney so that he could register my truck in Georgia (Nebraska registration expires in June) and that power of attorney allows him to basically own the truck in my absence. Also, I still have full coverage insurance on it because my dad does drive it from time to time. I also send him money every month for gas and car washes.

Also, congrats on the assignment. Japan would be fun.

Edit: My dad sent me some pictures of my baby in the Atlanta snow storms last month. First snow, she sat blocked in the driveway. Second storm my dad drove her since my truck is the only one with 4x4. (only posting because I miss having my own vehicle and I hate having to take a Taxi anywhere off base.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top