Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Navy OCS

Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Texas Transplant Taco
ClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to behold

ClayCrusher's Tacoma Gallery
Navy OCS

I figured I would post something on here since I've become pretty attached to the TW forum.

I graduated with a B.S. in biology back in May '13 and had plans to take the MCAT and go to med school, hopefully through the Navy. I am taking the mcat next Saturday, but I have had some big life realizations that have steered me away from wanting to continue my pursuit to med school.

Here I am wanting to apply to OCS since I've always dreamed of achieving an officer status in the Navy. I have very strong leadership skills and a very well rounded resume and extracurricular a. I've got a 3.25 GPA out of a very difficult pre-med program which I now regret going through.

Is that GPA a killer? I plan to meet a recruiter in 2 weeks. Just wanted to spark some conversations from anyone who knows more about the application process.

Thanks guys
Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #2
Huge Member
Eddie Van is on a distinguished road

Navy: E2 Driver
Eddie Van's Tacoma Gallery
Clay, That GPA can be overcome (it's not a killer). Having been in the USN and through OCS (now a long time ago) and also a brief recruiting stint, the best things to do:

- take the mil tests and do well on them
- get an advocate who is (or was) a USN officer, the higher the rank the better (Annapolis is CRAWLING with high ranking former officers)
- show enthusiaim to your recruiter, stay on top of them, visit and/or call often, be a salesman. If you are in front of them often, they'll keep you in mind

Shoot me a PM if you want, I'm fairly close to you...