Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Air Force Guys Chime in

Old 05-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Air Force Guys Chime in

Started a thread awhile back about my possible interest in joining the Air Force.

I am currently 23 years old with my Bachelor's. When I was younger I had always considered joining. My initial plan was to get my bachelor's degree (criminal justice) and get into a police department. However, with budget cuts and the economy it has been difficult to find any places hiring, and those who do tend to take prior police or military experience.

With that said, I am currently enrolled in classes trying to get my MBA to provide better job opportunities for myself, and hopefully career growth. However, the thought of joining has once again crossed my mind. If I do join, I would go the officer route since I have my degree. I'd love to be able to join, gain some great experience & knowledge as well as being able to experience different areas of the country or world.

I know the Air Force has had some major cut backs lately, so I ask. Is it even worth trying to go the officer route? If so, what are some of the better positions to try and get into. Also, will they pay for my MBA if I get it when I am in? Currently have student loans so is that something they would pay for as well?

I realize this is a lot of information and questions, but for it to make sense to me, I'd like to have as much information and wisdom from those who have went through it.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly nobody can give you an answer as to whether or not they'll take you with the current cuts. Too many variables such as career field, aptitude, health, etc...

There are options in the Air Force that you can use to pay for college. The popular one being tuition assistance.
http://www.military.com/education/mo...ssistance.html

They won't pay off your student loans, but if you're smart with your money and you're single you can pay off those loans quickly.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. If I could get in and have them atleast pay the cost of the MBA, it would certainly help out.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Gotcha. Wasn't sure if that was something that could be included in my contract prior to signing.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
joining fresh, the cuts shouldn't affect you as much as someone who has been in 10 years. you'd have to talk to a recruiter about the college bonuses. There are also a growing number of people with degree's joining, so you can expect to see it being crowded in some areas.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
You'll never know unless you try. When I joined they were cutting back as well 2005/06 and pilot slots were really competitive. Today, they need pilots, they are cutting back on certain airframes and career fields. A few of my buddies got canned, or got their separation approved. I def recommend it. It has helped me on the civilian side in my career. Intel, Pilot, Nav, and getting into SAR would be my recommendations. Contracts and finance will help on the civi side when you get out but not the most exciting. Also you mentioned an MBA, the AF is requiring you to get an MBA to make Major these days, they will pay for it if you do it online.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
I'm no airman but I just wanted to say that you have absolutely nothing to lose by going and talking to a recruiter and finding out for yourself. The more you think about it the older you get and before you know it you'll be 50 years old and still wondering what could've been.

If you get turned down, which is unlikely, so what? At least you'll know you tried. If you get accepted and commissioned you might end up doing 20+ years! You never know.

It'll open doors for you that you didn't know existed. A few "meh" doors but about 80-90 percent of them will be good and bad ass experiences.

More than likely you'll get to do what you said, see the country, see the world, and you'll get to experience different cultures.

How about the intelligence field?

If I thought the way I think now before I got out of the Marine Corps I would have stayed in and done a lat move (change of career) and gone into something more useful. My only guidance was a recruiter who wanted to meet his quota for the month, I was 17 years old and clueless as hell!

You on the other hand have the complete opposite, a Bachelor's degree, a much clearer and smarter though process, and all these guys that are here to help you! I'm sure most of the air force guys on here would be more than willing to walk you through the process of becoming commissioned so that you can end up where you want to.

So Nate, keep us updated!!!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
Zoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Zoot's Tacoma Gallery
If you can't go officer, you'll be a A1C/E-3 after 20 weeks with the college credit. You'll more than likely have everything covered for the CCAF Associates degree upon graduation from tech school in whatever field you're in too.

If you want to make rank fast join the Army or Navy.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
Zoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Zoot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojeelnodnarb View Post
Or he'll be an A1C day one. Then put SrA on my 28 month mark
If you can swing that with the recruiter. Most I know have to wait till 36mo TIS w/ 20mo TIG. Or those lucky enough to get BTZ.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't yet talked to a recruiter, but I may decide to soon. I think when I initially created this thread, I was merely tossing the idea around, but the monotony of my current career and lack of career advancement opportunity is really making me take a strong look at what the Air Force has to offer.

Aside from speaking with a recruiter, are there career fields that are more advantageous over another? Better locations? Opportunities for advancement? As much as I am still trying to find a career in law enforcement, I wouldn't mind joining and getting into a different career path that would provide me with better opportunities financially in the civilian side of things.

Also, as an officer is it a 4 year commitment or 6? I thought somebody had told me 6, but I certainly could be wrong.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
RyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1Lt, C-130 Navigator
Name: Ryan
RyanLikesTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEDEER View Post
Also, as an officer is it a 4 year commitment or 6? I thought somebody had told me 6, but I certainly could be wrong.
6 years for CSO (Nav, EWO, WSO) and 10 years for Pilot. I am unsure about non-rated careers.

If you have questions about the process, particularly rated career fields (ABM, CSO, Pilot), let me know. I was an enlisted flyer for 10 years (C-130 Loadmaster) and commissioned almost 4 years ago and am a C-130 Nav now.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLikesTacos View Post
6 years for CSO (Nav, EWO, WSO) and 10 years for Pilot. I am unsure about non-rated careers.

If you have questions about the process, particularly rated career fields (ABM, CSO, Pilot), let me know. I was an enlisted flyer for 10 years (C-130 Loadmaster) and commissioned almost 4 years ago and am a C-130 Nav now.
I appreciate it! Can you translate some of that into english for me though ?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
senojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aircraft Metals Technician (Machinist/Welder) 15th MXS Hickam AFB, HI
Name: Brandon
senojeelnodnarb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I appreciate it! Can you translate some of that into english for me though ?
CSO is stuff that doesn't fly the plane. Like navigator. Pilot fly's the plane lol
Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #17
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF ROWD View Post
You have a Bachelors....no medical issues..no priors, and weight/height proportionate?....you will not be turned away from the Military...May have to be put on DEP, but you will have butter Bars on within 18 months...
Bachelor's, check. No medical issues that I am aware of. Good physique. I am just guessing, but DEP means Delayed Entry Program?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
TheGreatPear is on a distinguished road

Air Force: WFSM, 27th SOCES, 27th SOW
Name: Alex
TheGreatPear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bachelor's, check. No medical issues that I am aware of. Good physique. I am just guessing, but DEP means Delayed Entry Program?
Correct.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #19
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
What does the DEP entail though?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:19 AM   #20
I like Tacos.
Sefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Seth
Sefferston's Tacoma Gallery
Waiting for a job to become available. Typical wait time while in DEP can be from 2 months up to a whole year. I know one guy who waited upwards of 2 years to get a Crypto Linguist job.

Also, if you join as an "open career field", the likely hook of a job becoming available for you to take becomes exponentially higher because they would stick you somewhere they need you. For example, I came in open mechanical. Got selected for a job working on engines for aircraft (Aerospace Propulsion).

Only real piece of advice....don't be Security Forces. It sounds alluring, but trust, you don't want to be standing at a gate for 12 hours a day checking ID cards.