Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

So, you want to join the Coast Guard.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
So, you want to join the Coast Guard.

I figured I'd start this thread since there are many members on TW who have served or are serving in the Coast Guard, this thread is here for anyone interested in joining or for parents who have concerns to ask questions from us old salts.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was told last year I was too old. Wtf.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
I like Tacos.
Sefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Seth
Sefferston's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious, I was told any tattoo's are a disqualifying factor.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
I like Tacos.
Sefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shedSefferston is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoutheastTaco View Post
I was told last year I was too old. Wtf.
27 is the general cut off for most branches.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefferston View Post
That's what I was told. I was interested in CG reserves.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm curious, I was told any tattoo's are a disqualifying factor.
Any tattoos? I know you can't have them above the collar and past the wrists.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
last i knew, active duty AF was 29 and guard reserves is 35.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
Professional Threadjacker
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
Chopper678's Tacoma Gallery
I have considered the coast guard or national guard while in college. However my college is paid for so the reason is not to escape debt. The reasons left would be the training experience, (the stipend?) And of course the pride of serving the country. Can anyone tell me what this would be like in college? They say it just requires one weekend a month and if it is anymore than that I probably couldn't afford it
Old 09-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper678 View Post
I have considered the coast guard or national guard while in college. However my college is paid for so the reason is not to escape debt. The reasons left would be the training experience, (the stipend?) And of course the pride of serving the country. Can anyone tell me what this would be like in college? They say it just requires one weekend a month and if it is anymore than that I probably couldn't afford it
Chamyota is doing Army National Guard right now while in college. He may be able to spell out his current happenings.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I kick myself in the ass for not joining the CG.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
CDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
CDSurfPhotography's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully planning on joining once I finish college in about a year. Plan to go to OCS just wondering the process, I know I should start talking to a recruiter just haven't had time recently with midterms coming up. Will be graduating with a Communications degree at San Diego State University. Any tips?
Old 09-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
I like Tacos.

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDSurfPhotography View Post
Hopefully planning on joining once I finish college in about a year. Plan to go to OCS just wondering the process, I know I should start talking to a recruiter just haven't had time recently with midterms coming up. Will be graduating with a Communications degree at San Diego State University. Any tips?
If you have your degree, and your recruiter is trying to push you for an enlisted job...tell him no. Being enlisted does have its perks (no real political bullshit until higher ranking), but the pay difference is absolutely crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
last i knew, active duty AF was 29 and guard reserves is 35.
That's what my recruiter told me some 6 years ago now. I don't know what the current cut off is but either way, I think it's a little too low.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Professional Threadjacker
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
Chopper678's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
Chamyota is doing Army National Guard right now while in college. He may be able to spell out his current happenings.
Thanks, Hodge.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
travis.diller is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis.diller is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis.diller is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis.diller is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis.diller is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis.diller is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis.diller is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis.diller is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis.diller is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis.diller is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis.diller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Electronics Technician 2nd Class, Submarine Qualified
Name: Travis
travis.diller's Tacoma Gallery
I should have joined the cg, they don't have submarines! HH
Old 09-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDSurfPhotography View Post
Apply, apply, apply. You have to show that you want it. Helps if you have a CO/OIC that can write well in addition to your extra curriculars in high school and college.

And definitely start talking to a recruiter sooner rather than later.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #16
I like Tacos.

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.diller View Post
I should have joined the cg, they don't have submarines! HH
Silly Seamen Submarines are for sandwiches!
Old 09-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #17
CDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
CDSurfPhotography's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Apply, apply, apply. You have to show that you want it. Helps if you have a CO/OIC that can write well in addition to your extra curriculars in high school and college.

And definitely start talking to a recruiter sooner rather than later.

When do I need to apply? I won't be finished until around December of 2015. That was my concern with talking to a recruiter. My senior year of high school I went to a marine recruiter just to check it out and be only offered me a cook position and he wouldn't let up I heard from him w couple times a day
Old 09-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Bazinga...
AUDI2TACOSUPREME is on a distinguished road

Air Force: IYAAYAS/RIC
Name: Jordan
AUDI2TACOSUPREME's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you have your degree, and your recruiter is trying to push you for an enlisted job...tell him no. Being enlisted does have its perks (no real political bullshit until higher ranking), but the pay difference is absolutely crazy.

That's what my recruiter told me some 6 years ago now. I don't know what the current cut off is but either way, I think it's a little too low.
Get with a recruiter that knows their sh!t...

As a current recruiter for the AF, I can tell you that if you walk in my door with below a 3.0 GPA for your Bachelor's, you will have a long road ahead of you. Officer recruiting is highly competetive... Enlisted is not a bad way to start as each branch is good at hiring Officer's from within (already wearing the uniform and they have spent a butt ton of money on you already... Also doesn't really matter what your GPA is at that point).

Also, the age cutoff has recently changed for the AF. 39 for Enlisted...

I think the cutoff of 28 years old was perfect. I'd love for someone to show me an individual in their mid-thirties that is actually qualified to join. (no medical issues, family issues, counseling issues, law violations, drug use, credit issues, etc). It's hard enough to get in as an 18-year old nowadays anyways...

Just my $.02 on some stuff. Also wanted to give some proper info. Call up the Coast Guard recruiter but do your research first. I also hear wait times are upwards of 1 1/2 to 2 years for the CG...
Old 09-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #19
I like Tacos.

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDI2TACOSUPREME View Post

As a current recruiter for the AF, I can tell you that if you walk in my door with below a 3.0 GPA for your Bachelor's, you will have a long road ahead of you. Officer recruiting is highly competetive... Enlisted is not a bad way to start as each branch is good at hiring Officer's from within (already wearing the uniform and they have spent a butt ton of money on you already... Also doesn't really matter what your GPA is at that point).

I think the cutoff of 28 years old was perfect. I'd love for someone to show me an individual in their mid-thirties that is actually qualified to join. (no medical issues, family issues, counseling issues, law violations, drug use, credit issues, etc). It's hard enough to get in as an 18-year old nowadays anyways...

Just my $.02 on some stuff. Also wanted to give some proper info. Call up the Coast Guard recruiter but do your research first. I also hear wait times are upwards of 1 1/2 to 2 years for the CG...
Thanks for the chime in. I figure with all of the military that is on this forum, one of us had to be a recruiter.

39 seems a little old, and granted, yes it is hard to find young people to join. I remember doing RA back home and NO ONE was talking to us at school visits.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #20
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDI2TACOSUPREME View Post

Not to mention trying to get a 28 year old to listen to someone 8 years younger and higher ranking. I'm just getting to the point of being older than my subordinates as an E5...

Quote:
When do I need to apply? I won't be finished until around December of 2015. That was my concern with talking to a recruiter. My senior year of high school I went to a marine recruiter just to check it out and be only offered me a cook position and he wouldn't let up I heard from him w couple times a day
Mention you want to go to OCS when you talk to the recruiter. I think they submitted my sister's package right as she was going in to boot camp. Depending on your recruiter and the needs at the time they could also direct commission you but that's an area I have 0 knowledge about so I won't blow smoke up your ass.