Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Shipping out for the Army

Old 11-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Shabutie is on a distinguished road

Name: Zach
Shabutie's Tacoma Gallery
Shipping out for the Army

Just swore in yesterday, leaving January 20th! Any advice?
Old 11-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Remember you are there to learn...and always respect your superiors.

Howard
Old 11-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
Mos?
Old 11-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross123 View Post
Mos?

11b with airborne option
Old 11-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Conumdrum is a name known to allConumdrum is a name known to allConumdrum is a name known to allConumdrum is a name known to allConumdrum is a name known to allConumdrum is a name known to all
Air Force: Retired E-7 ol' F-4 Radar Tech
Conumdrum's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck, it's all mind games and physical work in the army. Let them beat you down to a plebe, then start anew. Not that bad. 11b? Any technical skills for future employment in that MOS?
Old 11-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
deeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dana
deeez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
11b with airborne option
Good chance your going to Fort Bragg. Don't give up at airborne school or you'll be stuck there in limbo forever. I did some years at Bragg, 1/504 PIR.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Hunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1LT, Infantry (11A)
Name: Hunter
Hunter.V.White's Tacoma Gallery
Remember "you don't know anything yet". When you think you know best, keep your mouth shut, say "roger that drill sergeant" and drive on. Really push yourself at PT. The easiest way to earn yourself a little breathing room is to score a 300+ on the APFT. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Oppositeboy is on a distinguished road
Oppositeboy's Tacoma Gallery
PT, PT, and do some PT.

It's going to suck, but take it one day at a time. Stay motivated. Kick ass on your final FTX. Be prepared to run EVERYWHERE at airborne school.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
fgadfly is on a distinguished road

Army: Artillery
fgadfly's Tacoma Gallery
Find the basic training units for 11B on facebook and check out the pics of the training they are doing. There are some fort benning vids on YouTube. Find someone who will send some letters to you every day - even if it's just a printout of some TW threads. I always sent printouts of the FB pics and wiki articles to my boys and they shared with their platoon. Mail took about week. You'll have to buy everything there so don't take too much stuff. Have a few (like 2-3max) sets of civilian clothes. You'll get to buy letter writing stuff there at reception. Take phone and phone charger and get an extension for your USB cord. I sent two (2) each through the Fort Benning School for Wayward Boys earlier this year.
Remember: stay hydrated, stay motivated (fake motivation is better then no motivation), stretch, and help your buddy. If you know your graduation date, you can figure out your basic unit before you get there.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/B-Com...72887376067859
http://www.benning.army.mil/basictraining/
Old 11-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
Thank god you said 11b lol. Well personally Id say once you get to your unit goto SF selection ASAP. the 82nd has a way of making dudes pretty miserable.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Christ-a-licious
Battle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 15-6'rs
Name: Korben
Battle Pope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just swore in yesterday, leaving January 20th! Any advice?
you're 26 and going to basic, hahaha have fun baby sitting.

Get a degree and go "O" or Warrent. Don't fuck card holders.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
193rdsoldier will become famous soon enough193rdsoldier will become famous soon enough

Name: Joe
193rdsoldier's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck and stay motivated. It will be over before you know it. The one thing i regret is sometimes i just wanted it to be over rather then actually focusing on the lesson(s) being taught.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #14

Thank you everyone for your advice. Batlle pope you're not kidding with that, even at MEPS it felt like I was watching a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob. but better late than never. My recruiter already warned me that I will be picked on for being an old man. Im ready
Old 11-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #15
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
It's a mind game, go along with it and always do what they say no matter what. If you resist or give them any flack, BCT will be the longest 8 weeks of your life. Good luck and thanks for your decision to serve us!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #16
Joe F
jfortner is on a distinguished road
Army: Transportation Officer & Civilian
Name: Joe
jfortner's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your mind open and your mouth shut. Pay attention to your NCOs. Take advantage of every possible educational opportunity. If you have, or can get a degree, go for a commission. I served 12 years as an officer, 19 more as an Army Civilian and 8 more as an Army Contractor - thirty-nine years of my life given to the Big Green Machine and I would do it again. God Bless you for your service.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #17
Christ-a-licious
Battle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your advice. Batlle pope you're not kidding with that, even at MEPS it felt like I was watching a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob. but better late than never. My recruiter already warned me that I will be picked on for being an old man. Im ready
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18MbErB8Ubw
Old 12-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #18
Master of Zero Trades
Spurholder is on a distinguished road

Army:
Spurholder's Tacoma Gallery
OP, you've made a solid career choice. I've been wearing Army Green, er, Blue now for 30 years. Can't imaging doing anything else.

Like others have said - PT, PT and more PT. Running, pushups, situps, pullups. Don't be "that f'ing guy" - make sure you're fit before you get there. Being in great shape will make everything else a lot easier.

And when it comes to everything else, just pay attention and stay away from the silly f'ers playing grabass. The Army's been training Soldiers for a long time - listen up, and you'll do fine.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #19
Christ-a-licious

Leg>Cav

:P
Old 12-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #20
Master of Zero Trades
Spurholder is on a distinguished road

Army:
Spurholder's Tacoma Gallery
^Cav > Earth Pigs