1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to do after the military

Discussion in 'Military' started by Sefferston, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Feb 6, 2015 at 3:17 AM
    Sefferston

Sefferston [OP] I like Tacos.

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    I've got that one thing, and that other one thing, oh yeah and that other other one thing.
    This idea has been rattling around in my head for quite a while now. I've spent the last 6 years working on aircraft, C130's mainly, and a bit of F-15's. I've about had enough, but don't want to get out if I can't get a job.

My question to everyone (even those outside of the military), is it easier than it sounds in my head to get a decently paying job? Mind you, I have no degree (yet, almost there), and no real experience outside of aircraft mechanics.

2. Feb 6, 2015 at 3:47 AM
    Uranium235

Uranium235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Synthetic blinker fluid, upgraded floor mats, custom passenger.
    I retired from the military in 2013. Had a job months before I got out. I work in a different field, but there are jobs to be had. The problem wih being in the military is that everyone you talk to is in the military. Therefore, none of them have gotten out. So many of them have any idea what it's really like to get out of the miltary! Here's my advice:

1. Get your degree. It's free/cheap while you're in, and it separates you from the rest.
    2. Everything they tell you in the military about few health care and benefits and all is crap. My health care coverage is worlds better in the civilian world. And yes. I pay more for it. But I also make TRIPLE what I did in the military.
    3. Get. Your. Degree. See #1 above.

xenophon and CaptAmerica like this.
  3. Feb 6, 2015 at 3:51 AM
    Smiley52

Smiley52 Insta: @Sm1ley52

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4
    you could go work on them aeroplane thingies and make some monies.

4. Feb 6, 2015 at 4:04 AM
    Sefferston

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    I've got that one thing, and that other one thing, oh yeah and that other other one thing.
    That's the other hard part, got most of the esentials, but I don't know where to specialize. I love working on trucks, cars, bikes, and building things. I'd love to work as a fabricator but unless if you own your own shop, you won't make (so my wife calls it) "decent money".

I don't want to work on aeroplane thingies. I cannot stand working on them. I have what's called an A&P as a fall back, but only in the extreme of cases will I go back.

xenophon likes this.
  5. Feb 6, 2015 at 4:17 AM
    double dee

double dee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Lol ramstein sucking the life out of people

xenophon likes this.
  6. Feb 6, 2015 at 4:19 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    It's been a long time since I was in college and I never served in the military; however, I firmly believe getting the degree is the right thing to do. I'm a mechanical engineer by degree and I went to college with a few guys that had been in the military prior to coming to college. To a man they were the best students in the class. With your mechanical aptitude and training, I would seriously consider a degree in engineering. Yes, there is math and physics, but having a hands-on background is a major step in the right direction. Once you have an engineering degree, you can write your ticket. I've never been w/o a job and I've been in the oil/gas industry my entire career.

7. Feb 6, 2015 at 4:22 AM
    Sefferston

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    You have NO idea.....

Mechanical engineer would be cool. Really would be, tied in with fabrication/welding, would be a blast. Getting into school is the hard part, didn't have the greatest grades in high school, and I never took my SAT/ACT's.

xenophon likes this.
  8. Feb 6, 2015 at 4:47 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    You're a more mature person than when you were back in HS. You have a different perspective on things and wealth of experience that brings a practical application to the subjects. I think that you will find the standardized tests are more logical for you than they might have been in the past.

I went to two colleges in NM: NM Tech and NMSU. I think you'll find that there are places that will work with vets; these two schools sure did. There is a lot of military history in NM - think White Sands and the atomic bomb. I'd sure look into the options.

9. Feb 6, 2015 at 4:52 AM
    Uranium235

Uranium235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Synthetic blinker fluid, upgraded floor mats, custom passenger.
    One guy's opinion: VERY few VERY lucky people get to do what they love every day when they go to work, and also make "decent" money. I had to make a choice early on between doing a job I thought I'd enjoy and doing one where I could make "decent" money, considering my skill set. I chose the latter...I like my job, but I don't LOVE it. It does, however, give me an amazing quality of life when I am not at work - including paying for my automotive addiction!

10. Feb 6, 2015 at 5:03 AM
    nv529

nv529 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2006 Long Travel Taco, 2010 FJC, 2018 F250 Alumiduty

2 of my very good friends are civilian A&P's at a local international airport (DTW). Both of them are doing very well judging by the lifestyles they're living. But like you've said its hard work.

11. Feb 6, 2015 at 5:07 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:

Ah, the conundrum... I really wanted to be a ski bum, but that didn't pay very well. But next week I'll be on a snowcat in CO and the cost won't pain me.

You'll need the money as you near the end and the body fails. Sadly, the road does not go on forever and the party does end...but until then, work hard, play hard.

12. Feb 6, 2015 at 5:15 AM
    Sefferston

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    It's just a matter of getting started then. Being overseas already, I can only go to certain colleges, with certain degrees. Makes setting what I want very difficult, and my career in the military that much harder since we are evaluated on things like going to school to better ourselves.

I want my family to be comfortable. Wife is planning on staying in regardless, which depending could throw a big wrench (lol pun!) in things, but at the same time, if I am having trouble finding a job, at least we have her income.

Hard, and nerve racking. Lives literally depend on you when you work on them.

13. Feb 7, 2015 at 6:46 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    This is a thread I am pretty interested because me myself am in a position to where I am getting out in two years. I am done with the military and would like to move forward with my life. One that has less rules and regulations which tries to control everything from your appearance to the way you speak and tells you what to do and when to do it at what time. Lol. In short, I'm looking for a more "lax" no nonsense kind of career, not the kind where chaos runs it on a daily basis, and you don't have to live in fear of what you say because the person you are talking to could turn around and SHARP you right away.

14. Feb 9, 2015 at 5:49 AM
    virginiamarine

virginiamarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    FJCruiser/Double cab Tacoma
    Just my .02 cents. I had the very same hard decision after years of active duty in the Corps and eventual retirement. What do I do? Where do I live? etc, etc...

I feel this is the priority based on my experience (everyone is different, so just take it as mine).
    1. Location, location, location. Where do you want to settle down? Can you afford it? Are there job opportunities in the area? Not just jobs, but a career with growth potential.
    2. Education. Not entirely necessary, but at least starting helps out because it shows potential to complete something. I took on a job because they paid my way for school. The post 9-11 GI bill is awesome for all these reasons (BAH, etc). But, don't think it'll allow you to completely just go to school and pay all the bills.
    3. Skills. Your experience and leadership learned is sometimes not tangible....meaning it's hard to write it down in a resume format. But, it's worth a lot because one thing most people don't have in the 1st Civ Div...is leadership skills....they think they do, but they don't.
    4. Perspective. Don't allow your view of what your capable of predetermine what path you take. You don't have to do aviation work (wrench turning, etc). You can however work on analysis of the policies that affect aviation, processes, programs, etc. You are the one that understands the processes better than those who talk about it! I'll take one motivated E4-E6.... 7 days a week as long as they're motivated and want growth.

Seriously, I've offered help before and I'll do it again....if you would like help with your resume, I'm happy to help. It's not much, but I've been fortunate enough to have others help me...time to pay it forward.

Arcticelf likes this.
  15. Feb 9, 2015 at 9:29 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What he said.

16. Feb 13, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:

From the mouth of a saint.... :D

17. Feb 14, 2015 at 4:58 PM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Great advice here. I'll throw in that thinking that moving in the civilian work environment will be "easier" or there will be fewer rules or demands is, IMHO, dead wrong. Sure, most places don't have "uniforms" but almost all will have some expectations of proper work attire if for no other reason than safety. People still expect you to show up on time and to work hard - some people don't and those are the first to get fired and last to get raises or promotions. The discipline you learned in the military set you apart from the majority of your co-workers, assuming you maintain a solid work ethic.

One thing you did learn in the military was to problem solve - and that is a trait most companies reward highly. The ability to be part of a team, to succeed with scarce resources under stressful conditions, to follow guidance yet understand the need to deviate sometimes in order to accomplish the mission are other intangibles that you have.

I moved from the Army to higher education after a 26 year career. Ten years later I was fortunate to be selected as president of the college. It was all of those intangible skills - not the specifics of field artillery, intelligence or linguistics I learned in the Army - that made me marketable in higher education.

Never sell yourself short - and don't be too fast to force yourself into a career field. In reality, you'll most likely make several job changes before you find the right spot.

18. Apr 6, 2015 at 8:10 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    When you get out the world is your oyster. There are endless options as long as you don't let yourself take them away. I'm in the same spot as you as far as getting out. Don't discount yourself for any job regardless of the requirements (unless it's a medical examiner and you're not a doctor, SOL there). People love military experience, you can work as a team, you can work on your own, leading, following...you're an asset and you have EXPERIENCE. A large majority of my friends who graduated college can't find a job because they lack any experience other than internships so that 4 year degree is a piece of paper.

Definitely use that tuition assistance while you're in and burn that GI Bill for higher education after.

Oh and I'm not sure if this is the right way to be thinking but even if you don't have that killer 90K/year job set up when you get out doesn't mean you can't get a decent job and work your way up.

19. Apr 6, 2015 at 8:22 PM
    BadBrains

BadBrains Spreading the Aloha

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma TRD OR, '00 Integra GS-R, '75 C10
    King, TC +2"LT, 35's, Aluminum this and that.
    Suck it up and stay in.

Then get out and work or be a bum, it won't matter because...retirement.

20. Apr 6, 2015 at 8:43 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    I got out after 5 years in the CG and thought I had a job lined up. Well it fell through and my wife and our kids ended up living with her family for 3 months before I could find a job. Those 3 months were pretty hard without any income. I ended up finding a job about 700 miles and 3 states away. Needless to say I would have stayed in if I would have know that job was going to fall through.

Products Discussed in

To Top