Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Moving overseas and would like some opinions

Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
sayewhat is on a distinguished road
Marines:
sayewhat's Tacoma Gallery

I have orders to UAE in a few months. Pretty good gig except when I read the import rules and it says no pick up trucks. Not sure why and the question has been sent. If it is for sure no, then comes into the question of selling or storing the '13 I bought this past November when I got back from Afghan. It's still stock minus all LEDs and I have a full loan on it.

So what do you all think, store it or sell it?

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
If you have got a safe place to store it, id would say keep it. Prep it to sit and go get to work over there. On a side note, thanks for your service man! Keep doing what your doing.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
hmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B
Name: Heath
hmcclung's Tacoma Gallery
Hey OP sorry to hear about those import regs. I don't have experience with UAE orders or what is allowed but I do have some experience storing a vehicle while overseas. First off I would advice NOT selling your truck since you'd definitely lose money on the deal. If you want to store it I would either advise using a family/friend who you trust (who has space to store) or a reputable INDOOR storage facility. Either route you go, make sure a battery tender is used, and the truck is driven a few miles every so often for starters, and there are endless other precautions you could take to keep your truck healthy.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
Marines:
It's not a problem getting a storage place for it. I've been waffling between the two options. It's a pretty easy decision for deployments, but getting stationed there for a few years is a little different.

We're ditching my wife's Tahoe and might get something there for her and the kids if I can't take the truck. I'll get a Pajero from work to play with.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
virginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired SNCO
virginiamarine's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, tough decision here. IMHO, if you are there for just a year....keep it. If more than a couple years (sounds like accompanied) then sell it. Why have a full loan and not even use it not knowing what's being done to it. I had done the same and left my truck with a friend/family and came back to it not the way I wanted. It wasn't spotless, it was driven every so often, it lost a little sheen from sitting out in the elements, it wasn't loved, etc. I found every scratch and mark and swore I never saw them before. And, you might want that new model...I think it might be better to have options on the return. Just an opinion sir! Semper Gumby!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Hah, I just got asked today if I wanted to go to UAE for 2 years...
Old 02-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
Marines:
Nice. Seems like a really good deal
Old 02-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery

Yea but it sounds like the vehicle restrictions are pretty tough. What are you going to be doing over there?
Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Marines:
Yup. That goes into my question of storing the tacoma or selling it. I do get a vehicle while over there, but my wife's truck I don't trust enough to take. I was hoping they let up on the no pickup truck rule.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
CreepyCrawly is on a distinguished road
CreepyCrawly's Tacoma Gallery
Big question is how long? If its 2 years or more, Id sell it without hesitation. Keep making the payment to your bank account and then come home and put 2 years of payments down on a new one. Sitting for that long not driven is no bueno and if you have someone driving it, that also means you are paying insurance on it. Its a Tacoma so you shouldn't get hosed too badly selling it. You'll make up the loss in interest and insurance saved. Thats what I would do.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #11
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcclung View Post
Hey OP sorry to hear about those import regs. I don't have experience with UAE orders or what is allowed but I do have some experience storing a vehicle while overseas. First off I would advise NOT selling your truck since you'd definitely lose money on the deal. If you want to store it I would either advise using a family/friend who you trust (who has space to store) or a reputable INDOOR storage facility. Either route you go, make sure a battery tender is used, and the truck is driven a few miles every so often for starters, and there are endless other precautions you could take to keep your truck healthy.
x2 and you will have a vehicle when you return.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #12
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Store the old girl.