Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Mandatory Military service

Old 06-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Mandatory Military service

What are your opinions on mandatory military service? 27 countries to be exact require their male citizens to serve a minimum time in the military and I am interested in your views are on the subject.

Personally I think it is a great policy. There are so many things the military offers to shaping the character of young adults that I believe every American should be required to serve at least 18 months.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
I think everybody should serve.

Even the tree huggers should do there part. Sign them up.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Horrible Idea...I have to deal with too many people who don't want to do their jobs and they volunteered to be there- They make my work hard enough.

Making everyone do it would make that problem MUCH worse....not to mention the expense of it....Accession, Basic/Advanced Training-Then housing and pay and medical, and finally release training....Not worth it.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
No.

I feel that with a volunteer military like we have now, most of the people are in because they WANT to be in, so they'll do their best while there.

If it was mandatory, think about the type of people you'll be next to.

You'll have dorks next to football players next to emo fucks. I don't know about you, but if I was in a combat situation, I want to be next to people that WANT to be in the military rather than ones that were forced to.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
BAD IDEA..

WE have the greatest military in the world. An all volunteer force is the best way to achieve maximum readiness and moral. Granted every soldier since the Roman empire has the right to bitch but ours is filled with soldiers that WANT to serve.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
well....kind of a mixed answer from me. i think all should serve, but the ones that are truly lazy and would risk messing up stuff shouldnt. i wasnt able to get in because of my hearing and past bone breaks, although i tried like hell. i wanted to go into the army and try to get to ranger status so bad, but wasnt able to.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
what about just straight up civil service. Maybe not military but what about mandatory highway clean up and park restoration for like 1 weekend a month?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
what about just straight up civil service. Maybe not military but what about mandatory highway clean up and park restoration for like 1 weekend a month?
I would be ALL for that...It's easy to flog people into doing unskilled/manual labor.

Do the year between age 18-19...or an equivalent amount of time. It'd be great.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Personally I think it is a great policy. There are so many things the military offers to shaping the character of young adults.
I agree....

It'd be neat to see kids in high school go into the military as part of their graduation process.

Although, that might be a little harsh on some of the kids who already have 'good character' and are working towards college.

The 'bad character' kids need the discipline. Wonder how they could force those 'problem kids' into the military. Where do you draw the line for 'problematic' and not?

But then again - the military won't want to waste time training people who won't want a future there. They won't wanna babysit either.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I would be ALL for that...It's easy to flog people into doing unskilled/manual labor.

Do the year between age 18-19...or an equivalent amount of time. It'd be great.
Personally I think that would help get people active in their communties and it would also make the community shine as well.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
kmann6905 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: NORAD
kmann6905's Tacoma Gallery
EVERYBODY should owe time. The girls can offer time state side in the local communities. Graduate high school, serve 1-2 years, then private sector, college, whatever.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Just personally I am sick of people bitching and moaning who have never contributed a thing other than tax dollars to the country. I will quote a line from one of my favorite bands

Quote:
All the way from the east to the west
We've got this high society looking down on this very foundation
Constantly reminding us that our actions are the cause of all their problems
Pointing the fingers in every direction
Blaming their own nation for who wins elections
They've never contributed a fucking thing to the country they love to criticize
I mean obviously the people that want to serve will strive to enter the most prestigious position in the military they can attain. Those who don't want to be there can take civilian support roles with the army
Old 06-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking a mandatory 2 years would be ideal...

Old 06-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Personally I think it is a great policy. There are so many things the military offers to shaping the character of young adults
My father, who was a Army Staff Sargent in Vietnam that has suffered from PTSD, and has cancer, most likely from Agent Orange exposure, would beg to differ. Whenever recruiters would call my house when I was in high school, he would get on the phone, and tell them that he served our country so that I didn't have to. I didn't need Uncle Sam to shape my character so that I was successful in life
Old 06-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #17
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it should be mandatory. Neither do the services. The problem with mandatory is that you get people who don't want to be there whereas an all volunteer force is more motivated because they chose to do it. Ultimately, the purpose of the military is to defend the nation not change people's characters. It's a side effect, but making it mandatory takes away from the military's mission.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
My father, who was a Army Staff Sargent in Vietnam that has suffered from PTSD, and has cancer, most likely from Agent Orange exposure, would beg to differ. Whenever recruiters would call my house when I was in high school, he would get on the phone, and tell them that he served our country so that I didn't have to. I didn't need Uncle Sam to shape my character so that I was successful in life
Your father would probably beg to differ- but it is true. It's not for everyone and it shouldn't be mandatory- but there is a LOT of training and opportunities to be had in the military.

No one and not everyone needs the gov't to do it...but it is out there.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Your father would probably beg to differ- but it is true. It's not for everyone and it shouldn't be mandatory- but there is a LOT of training and opportunities to be had in the military.

No one and not everyone needs the gov't to do it...but it is out there.
I am not saying that everyone has to join as infantry. Plus I figured it would work itself out because the people who don't want to do it won't be busting their asses to advance, while the people who want to would be.

When I was speaking to the recruiter about roles where I would get to use arabic, he went over some civilian assistance jobs. Basically soldiers come in after war, or disasters with aid, food, water, medical treatment etc.

I am sure this crowd is well aware of this fact, but not every job in the military involves fighting. I fail to see where someone could not fit in a specific niche
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #20
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I don't think it should be mandatory. The problem with mandatory is that you get people who don't want to be there.
Exactly...

And the way the economy is right now, from what I've heard....a lot of jobless people are flocking to enlist. The military has cracked down on enlistment requirements so its harder to get in.

A guy I work with who is 29 years old tried to enlist and didn't get accepted.