Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Anyone PCS Overseas before??

Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Rigger, Please
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone PCS Overseas before??

I know we got a ton of military people on here, so who has PCS'd Overseas before??

What can i exspect, look forward to, try to avoid, and what helpful tips can you give ...?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
From a guy who was stationed in Amsterdam.....you know my answer.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Rigger, Please
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hahahaha
Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
What can i exspect -- out processing and in processing is a pain, as is getting your house packed up,

look forward to -- new adventures

try to avoid -- short tempers

and what helpful tips can you give -- ship your vehicle in plenty of time so it will be there when you get there, same with your hold baggage, get your PO box before you leave so you only have to change your address once. Get a sponsor
Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
Where are you going in Germany, I have a few friends over there. PCS is a pain but also exciting. Make sure you have all your paperwork hand carried, dont let the movers pack stuff you need, put it in your truck or out of the house. They will pack trash cans full of trash and full ashtrays if you look out. LOL.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I PCS'd many years ago to Korea... which was a huge pain in the ass... and I was single...

so... expect multiple headaches and damage to your household goods...

but you'll have good German beer...
Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
kvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud of

Air Force: MSgt // Security Forces   Retired after 22 yrs of service
kvnhlstd's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever you do... Know your weight allowance's and do not blow them. It can get very expensive. Hand carry all important documents, Pack essentials in the unaccompanied baggage, everything else in household goods. Buy a used Beemer to use when you get there, I brought back a saab when I came back. Back then they had a deal where you went to sweden to pick it up at the factory, The day was filled with a tour and being taught the handling of the 900 turbo on a test track.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
I have been to every crap hole place between california and southeast asia twice. Expect plenty of cheap ho's trying to get your dollars.

Its all an adventure
Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 AM   #9
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Get USAA renter's insurance. If your stuff gets destroyed from the move; which something will, it takes a long time for the AF to reimburse you. USAA is immediate. I lost my entire household goods shipment when I PCS'd to the UK back in 2000. USAA cut me a check right away. THe AF took 6 months to reimbusre me for the stuff USAA wouldn't.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
I've had very pleasant, easy PCS's in my career. Take the time and watch them pack your stuff. If you see something you don't like...tell them. Its YOUR stuff. The other suggestions were spot on...carry the important stuff, lock the things you don't want packed away in the car or empty room. Plan ahead and be as prepared as you can and things will go pretty smoothly. Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
Definitely will become famous soon enough
Army:
Definitely's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about Germany, but man if you ever PCS to Korea the 3 things I would tell you to prepare yourself for are

1: The smell of Kimchi and garlic
2: They're idea of personal space and friendship is much much closer then ours, if you see two guys cuddling, they are friends don't freak
3: bargin on the street vendors, they expect you to and get a KATUSA to help you learn how to properly barter
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt (Retired)
Name: Ken
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
You'll love Germany. Get out and see the sights, do NOT stay on base and bitch about how much you miss America.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
Rigger, Please

Thanks for the info
Old 06-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueFan View Post
I've had very pleasant, easy PCS's in my career. Take the time and watch them pack your stuff. If you see something you don't like...tell them. Its YOUR stuff. The other suggestions were spot on...carry the important stuff, lock the things you don't want packed away in the car or empty room. Plan ahead and be as prepared as you can and things will go pretty smoothly. Good luck and have fun.
Spot on
Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
Deckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really nice

Navy: Senior Chief Petty Officer ret
Name: Jerry
Deckplate's Tacoma Gallery
I PCS'd to Yokosuka Japan back in 1988, I loved it:
-Make sure you have an regular "civilian" passport
-Don't do anything stupid overthere, you represent the US, and SOFA is different in each country.
- I opened up a savings account back home and set up an allotment to it so I had money when I got home.
- When you get back you will realize what a great country you were blessed to be born in
Good Luck!
IMO...
Old 07-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
Try not to marry a local. I had a friend who went broke sending his wife home every time she got home sick.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #17
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgnc64 View Post
Try not to marry a local. I had a friend who went broke sending his wife home every time she got home sick.
Pssssstt - he's already married and going to become a dad in Dec
Old 07-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #18
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Pssssstt - he's already married and going to become a dad in Dec
still good advice though...
Old 07-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #19
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
still good advice though...
True...
Old 07-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #20

mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
Oh I meant the other guy that is PCSing (Man Im so stupid) Well good advice for his friends.