Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

might be joining the marines

Old 06-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #21
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Thats what I have heard. You might remember I want to do intelligence, and since the air force doesn't offer what I want, I decided to wait and maybe go marines, or straight into a 3 letter agency. My brother works in intelligence (straight out of grad school) and about half his co workers are ex air force.

yet you'd go marines? ok. Even though half your brothers co-workers are ex AF? Hello...that should be telling you something.

Why does the AF not offer you what you want? What is it that you want?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #22
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
hey guys & gals,
im thinking about joining the marines when i get out of highschool , do yall think this would be good for me?

Either you want to be a marine, or you don't. Nothing more, nothing less.

What is good for you depends on what you are looking to accomplish by going into the military. Need MUCH more details here...
Old 06-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #23
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueFan View Post
Either you want to be a marine, or you don't. Nothing more, nothing less.

What is good for you depends on what you are looking to accomplish by going into the military. Need MUCH more details here...

x2....gruntwork goes to army/marines....b/c ur always infantry there, no matter the MOS...i see WAY too many army guys here on bragg cutting grass and shit when they're home from deployment...not my bag. if u want hi-tech u'll wanna stick to AF or navy.

bottom line, what are u looking to do and what are u looking to get out of it?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
as for the 4 years...jsut remeber this. you actually sign for 8 years. do 4 active an dthen you go home and can be recalled for the next 4 years. I walways told my friends to just stay in fro 4 more and do a non deployable B-billet and take a break for a while. maybe see a different side of the service to better decide your future. they didnt listen and got comfy for a year or so in thier civilian lives and then got recalled. just a little tip

FIrst off, what branch of military? Second, what job?

Let's dispell this greatly misunderstood deal. It's called INACTIVE reserve. I'd love to hear about these folks that got recalled. I've been doing this military thing for almost 23 years (AF) and have never seen/heard of anyone getting brought back involuntarily. I've seen them STOPPED from getting out during the Gulf-war during the stop-loss days, and even then, it was only certain career fields that was in short supply and in high demand.

You are totally overdramtizing this big time.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #25
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
well ive just thought about it a little, i still have 3 years till im outta highschool but i want to do it for me , i w ant to and it will be a good way to decide if i want to go to college or not, i know that most jobs require college degree but imo idk if i would be able to do the work, i have bad adhd and i cant focus good enough to do my work and i think the military would help with that too
Old 06-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #26
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
and i have no idea what i want to do for the rest of my life(as far as jobs go)
Old 06-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #27
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Let's dispell this greatly misunderstood deal. It's called INACTIVE reserve. I'd love to hear about these folks that got recalled. I've been doing this military thing for almost 23 years (AF) and have never seen/heard of anyone getting brought back involuntarily. I've seen them STOPPED from getting out during the Gulf-war during the stop-loss days, and even then, it was only certain career fields that was in short supply and in high demand.

i have heard of marines and army getting called back while on IRR. a guy here at work was ex-army and got a call up letter. luckily, our work was able to keep him from going since we already support the army and were short handed at the time. its usually the branches that are short manned and need the warm body to fill the position, ie army/marines
Old 06-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i have heard of marines and army getting called back while on IRR. a guy here at work was ex-army and got a call up letter. luckily, our work was able to keep him from going since we already support the army and were short handed at the time. its usually the branches that are short manned and need the warm body to fill the position, ie army/marines

Just another reason NOT to go army or marines. AF takes WAY better care of their people. Period.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #29
Piss off

Quote:
well ive just thought about it a little, i still have 3 years till im outta highschool but i want to do it for me , i w ant to and it will be a good way to decide if i want to go to college or not, i know that most jobs require college degree but imo idk if i would be able to do the work, i have bad adhd and i cant focus good enough to do my work and i think the military would help with that too

i'm not sure of all the details of the other branches, but the AF pays 100% TA for college while ur in....has the community college of the AF to give u an associates degree as long as u put in the work...and they are very education minded. just some things to point out if u want to do military AND college. i'm guard now, using my GI bill for college and have 12 classes left for my bachelors. since i had my CCAF degree while i was in, i was able to transfer that over and knock out my first 2 years of the bachelors no questions asked.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #30

Quote:

I didn't want to go to college. 23 yrs later, 2 college degrees later I'm almost ready to retire at the ripe old age of 44 with 26 yrs of service. Been around the world a couple of times, seen the entire country, met tons of awesome people and have had a blast doing what I do.

The job does not really matter that much if you intend on staying around. You either like the lifestyle that comes with every AF job, or you don't.

Before you get all wound up in this, there are three important things that qualify you for a job in the AF. 1. Your ASVAB score 2. Medically qualified. 3. When you can leave.

With ADHD, if you are on medication, it is very possible that will disqualify you right off the bat. It did when I was an AF recruiter. But I know things have changed a bit since 2000.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #31
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps and thought that it was the best thing that I had ever done. I went to boot camp the day Iraq invaded Kuwait so that was real interesting. I got out for six years and then ended up joining the National Gaurd and then went active duty. I counsel soldiers every day on my past experiences and all as a career counselor.

The thing that I would tell all of my soldiers if i was their recruiter would be to pick a job that you think that you would enjoy and get the best out of all of it. Don't let them pick a job for you there is plenty of time to choose the right job. There are enough people on this forum that are or were Marines that could tell you about each one probably. So do your research before you sign anything. The best jobs usually require you to have a security clearance and at least some Algebra. The better that you do on the ASVAB the better the job that you will get.

If you end up joining then use your time wisely. You will get alot of time once you get done with your training.

It always pays to be well informned and to ask alot of questions.

Something that will also help is to be able to do 20 pull ups and 80 sit-ups in 2 minutes. Boot camp will also be easier if you know how to march.

Hope this helps...

DONT GET RID OF THE YOUR TACO!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #33
Quote:
I didn't want to go to college. 23 yrs later, 2 college degrees later I'm almost ready to retire at the ripe old age of 44 with 26 yrs of service. Been around the world a couple of times, seen the entire country, met tons of awesome people and have had a blast doing what I do.

The job does not really matter that much if you intend on staying around. You either like the lifestyle that comes with every AF job, or you don't.

Before you get all wound up in this, there are three important things that qualify you for a job in the AF. 1. Your ASVAB score 2. Medically qualified. 3. When you can leave.

With ADHD, if you are on medication, it is very possible that will disqualify you right off the bat. It did when I was an AF recruiter. But I know things have changed a bit since 2000.
im not on meds any more, its not that bad but i can notice it still but i should grow out of it by the time im 18-20
Old 06-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie Joe View Post
Go Coast Guard!!
but i think coast gaurd as mor of a thing like police/fire fighter, and i want to be a police officer really bad
Old 06-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #35
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

interesting...your wrong! I have had 8 friends get recalled which yes is "inactive reserve". its not there so you dont have to ever be recalled its there for a reason so that you are still obligated to meet the Marine Corps' needs, or whatever service. I only had one friend beat it and that was becasue he told them he smoked tons of pot and was fat and had joined and anti war club. they still went to keep him but eventually they gave up. when you sign for 4 years active and 4 inactive you still owe the service that time whether you are needed in the last 4 or not. obviously in the AF you dont run into the manpower issues like the Army and Marines. its not easy to plus up the grunt side.
You pretty much get a fedex'd piece of mail on your door step with orders inside it saying youve been mobilized. trust me i've seen it happen.

edit: some of the guys called back in OIF 2-2 were cooks, snipers, PMO, all sorts of MOS. you arent wrong about the AF taking care of its own though. It's jsut a rougher life in the Army or Corps.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #36
Piss off

Quote:
im not on meds any more, its not that bad but i can notice it still but i should grow out of it by the time im 18-20

whatever you do, be honest w/ the recruiter when he asks you those questions. dont lie or try to hide anything. they will go back in your medical records and when they see you were on that med and didnt admit to it in the recruiting process, you will be kicked out for lying on the admission.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #37
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
I had a very good friend that joined right out of highschool... All through highschool he was in a lot of legal trouble & heavy into drug use and selling. When he returned from service (not having ever been deployed) he was a drastically changed man--For the better. It seems it helped him grow up and gain valuable characteristics like integrity, honesty, etc. It did a lot of good for him and he was one we all thought would never change his ways. I think it's a good idea for anyone that wants to gain a deeper understanding of life & improve himself. IMHO. Not saying that you have a need for change, but I've heard of a lot of benefits from those who have served. Good luck on your decision.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #38
Quote:
whatever you do, be honest w/ the recruiter when he asks you those questions. dont lie or try to hide anything. they will go back in your medical records and when they see you were on that med and didnt admit to it in the recruiting process, you will be kicked out for lying on the admission.
i did take meds but ive been off for a 2 years
Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #39
kvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud of

Air Force: MSgt // Security Forces   Retired after 22 yrs of service
kvnhlstd's Tacoma Gallery
Joined the AF one year after high school to leave a dead end town. Retired 22 years later... after my first year in I swore I was getting out after 4 years. By the 3rd year I knew I found my career. Spent all my time in Law Enforcement, before 95 the AF Security Police were broken into two distinct career fields, LE and SEC. LE was the Law Enforcement arm and Security was the field that protected the airframe assets and the bomb dump. Now they are a merged career field (Security Forces). I have many friends that have done their time and now work in civilian Law Enforcement. Bottom line is I never regretted joining, made friends for life and travelled the world.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Not if you are a juvenile...but you didn't hear that from me. And trust me...MEPS is not your friend, they are there to disqualify you.

There are things that you don't want to reveal.