Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

might be joining the marines

Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #41
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
i did take meds but ive been off for a 2 years

good, stay off them if at all possible. That is one of the requirements is that you are not taking any meds. Certain meds require you to be off them a certain amount of time before being qualified.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #42
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueFan View Post
Not if you are a juvenile...but you didn't hear that from me. And trust me...MEPS is not your friend, they are there to disqualify you.

There are things that you don't want to reveal.
if ur 18, everything is juvenile records. they kicked out a guy my sis-in-law was dating b/c he didnt tell them he had childhood asthma and they went back in his records, found it, and kicked him out
Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #43
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
So will i get disqualified if I have to take my Lithium every day?
Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #44
BuffaloScout is on a distinguished road

Army: 7th div 3/17 Infantry Scout
BuffaloScout's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, going into the Army as Infantry was the best thing I ever did for myself. I "only" stayed in 4 years but it straightend my ass out and made me the man I am today.

Good Luck
Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #45
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloScout View Post
Dude, going into the Army as Infantry was the best thing I ever did for myself. I "only" stayed in 4 years but it straightend my ass out and made me the man I am today.

Good Luck

That's what I'm talkin' bout right there!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #47
dwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nice

Marines: Sgt/6114 - Cobra/Huey Helo Mech, HMLA-773
dwzild's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dwzild
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
x2....gruntwork goes to army/marines....b/c ur always infantry there, no matter the MOS...i see WAY too many army guys here on bragg cutting grass and shit when they're home from deployment...not my bag.
Completely incorrect statement. The only infantry training you do is during Boot Camp and Marine Combat Training, unless you decide to pursue a ground-side MOS. I was Active Duty for 6 years and I only shot a rifle 1 week out of the year for annual qualifications. The rest of the time was spent doing my job: maintaining Cobra and Huey helicopters, flying during test and shooting out of the back with 50 cals and mini-guns. It was definitely one of the greatest experiences and best times of my life. I got out, missed it, and went back in on the Reserve side doing my same job.

If you are interested in law enforcement or fire fighting, you can try to go in as an MP or Crash Fire Rescue. Even if you do nothing related to those, your military background will get your foot in the door of many employment opportunities. My civilian job has nothing to do with my military occupation, but I was pushed to the top of the list b/c of my background. I'm doing IT work for the Navy and my only related education was a couple of classes and certs that were paid for by the military's Tuition Assistance. I still have 100% of my GI Bill available to use.

BTW, with our new prez, the likely hood of being called back in during your IRR time is pretty low. It probably won't be in his budget
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #48
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueFan View Post
FIrst off, what branch of military? Second, what job?

Let's dispell this greatly misunderstood deal. It's called INACTIVE reserve. I'd love to hear about these folks that got recalled. I've been doing this military thing for almost 23 years (AF) and have never seen/heard of anyone getting brought back involuntarily. I've seen them STOPPED from getting out during the Gulf-war during the stop-loss days, and even then, it was only certain career fields that was in short supply and in high demand.

You are totally overdramtizing this big time.
Maybe in the Air Force brother but not in the Army. We recalled thousands and not just in the IRR either. Lot's of retired Soldiers in critical MOS's got recalled to active duty.

And to the OP, just do it. And the best advise I can give you is that you get out of what you put into it.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #49
Rangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant future

Army: 75th Ranger Regiment
Rangerpeterson's Tacoma Gallery
Yep.... Army might be a little better but Marines will do I guess
Old 08-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #50
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
The way I look at it is that either college or the military will do about the same... which is to say form your young mind into something, hence why the military likes to get em' young before people start forming their own opinions. The same with college. A professor is going to tell you all about how to do this and do that.... hence why young people go to college so their young minds will be molded and formed into something.

The end result is the same. In either choice in the end you'll ultimately come up with your own opinions and thought process based off real life decisions. Honestly what I learned in college didn't do a damned thing for my career. I learned that after being out on my own.

I agree with the rest of the people here- its your decision and yours alone. Nobody can make that choice. Whatever you want to do is what you should do.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #51
If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front
imsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMFA-314 F/A-18 Fighter Jet Plane Captain and Mech.
Name: Randy
imsikotic's Tacoma Gallery
I've been in the Marines since 1998. Im a F-18 Fighter Jet Mechanic. I love it!! I've worked had and played even harder. Hell Im at work right now in the middle of Iraq with about a month left till I come home. Its not the easiest of lives but it is rewarding. Good luck to you and the choices you do make.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #52
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone, I decided what I want to do when I get out of the military. I either want to be a Police Officer or a Fireman....which branch would be best for either one?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #53
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Any of them.

It's not the law enforcement experience that Police and Fire departments are looking for. It's the fact that you had the discipline, maturity, and motivation to get that DD 214.

Anyway in the Army as an MP (what I am) you won't spend much time in a patrol vehicle. A lot of law enforcement duties on Army Installations (at least in CONUS) are performed by DOD cops. In today's Army the MP's perform a lot of Combat Support.

But if I had to recommend one service for what you are looking for then I would give the Coast Guard serious consideration. They fall under Homeland Security and work closely with a lot of Federal Agencies to include DEA, Border Patrol, and Customs.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #54
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
Any of them.

It's not the law enforcement experience that Police and Fire departments are looking for. It's the fact that you had the discipline, maturity, and motivation to get that DD 214.

Anyway in the Army as an MP (what I am) you won't spend much time in a patrol vehicle. A lot of law enforcement duties on Army Installations (at least in CONUS) are performed by DOD cops. In today's Army the MP's perform a lot of Combat Support.

But if I had to recommend one service for what you are looking for then I would give the Coast Guard serious consideration. They fall under Homeland Security and work closely with a lot of Federal Agencies to include DEA, Border Patrol, and Customs.
Not sure what a MP is?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #55
dwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nice

Marines: Sgt/6114 - Cobra/Huey Helo Mech, HMLA-773
dwzild's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dwzild
Quote:
Not sure what a MP is?
Military Police
Old 08-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #56
YodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud of
Air Force: Medic
YodaMedic's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to be a firefigher Air Force would be better IMO, but harder to get hence you will have to wait a while before signing up. Navy has more firefighter jobs or so I hear. The firefighers on my base are busy as hell all the time and you get your Firefighter I certification in Tech school. (oh and the cops are even busier pulling people over for going 2 MPH over, ridiculous they are bored) But if you are serious about being a firefighter you will need your EMT, and thats why I went in as an Air Force medic. And if you don't like gory stuff cops or fireman probably isn't your calling.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaMedic View Post
If you want to be a firefigher Air Force would be better IMO, but harder to get hence you will have to wait a while before signing up. Navy has more firefighter jobs or so I hear. The firefighers on my base are busy as hell all the time and you get your Firefighter I certification in Tech school. (oh and the cops are even busier pulling people over for going 2 MPH over, ridiculous they are bored) But if you are serious about being a firefighter you will need your EMT, and thats why I went in as an Air Force medic. And if you don't like gory stuff cops or fireman probably isn't your calling.
Im ok with gory...ill ask my lax coaches soon, one is a cop the othres a firemen
Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #58
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks everyone, I decided what I want to do when I get out of the military. I either want to be a Police Officer or a Fireman....which branch would be best for either one?
I wish you the best in whatever branch you choose, take your time, its a big decision.

In hindsight, it was the best decision I ever made in my life and the MOS/career track I started in was not the one I retired in 25+ yrs later. The experience/training I received, my clearance, & lots of the attibutes spoken by many of the folks here helped me land a great fed job now for DOD in my home state.

As far as pulling folks out of the IRR & retirement, yes it happens, I saw over 2000 folks SRP thru Drum for Desert Storm in 91 & many others for current ops, both inactive & retired depending on mission req.

Keep us posted on your progress
Old 08-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #59
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
im not eligible for the marines cuz i got reeeaaalllly bad asthma...

but i dont think i could ever join anyway cuz its not my calling, but thank you to everyone who is serving our country!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #60
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently in the process of getting my pilot's license before I go into the military. When I finish and rack up quite a bit of flight hours, I'm going to go to college before I join the forces. I'm going in as an Officer in the Air Force. I'm going to apply for flight school, so I'll already have flight time under my belt. My dream would be to fly an F-18, but I'm shooting for the A-10 Warthog's.